We Need A Strong Sheffield Wednesday - Gary Neville

6 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yes, how dare he have an opinion outside of football. 

Careful, those who claim everybody is too easily offended these days will find this offensive and be along shortly to shut you down 🤨

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Many of our fanbase under 40 won't remember our last trophy or our last cup final appearances. If you ask a neutral under 40 who is bigger I would imagine most would say Middlesbrough given their recent history compared with ours.

If Middlesbrough had spent the last 22 years in our position their average crowd would be half what ours has been. Their recent history is better than ours due to HUGE investment but overall we are a bigger club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

If Middlesbrough had spent the last 22 years in our position their average crowd would be half what ours has been. Their recent history is better than ours due to HUGE investment but overall we are a bigger club.

Why do we still argue about who's a big club like it makes any difference? 

Edited by HootHoot
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, scram said:

He was talking about Newcastle and football benefits from having a strong Newcastle - then he went on to mention other teams who he feels make the game a better and healthier sport - he mentioned us along with Forest, Leeds, Sunderland and a couple of others - saying that when those clubs are strong the game is better for it

Paraphrasing

Agree with that a premiership with us Forest, Leeds, Sunderland, as well as Newcastle is how things should be.

7 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Of course they are, don't be ridiculous. 

You've got to be nearly 75 years old to remember last time Newcastle won a trophy 

A big fanbase in a one team city doesn't make a big club 

41 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

But they haven't have they? We're in our 3rd stint at this level in the last 20 years and haven't been in the top flight in that time. I'm not suggesting we're not a big club but to suggest we're bigger than Middlesbrough is a ridiculous comment and is why other clubs fans think we are an arrogant fan base.

14 minutes ago, Luke said:

You've got to be nearly 75 years old to remember last time Newcastle won a trophy 

A big fanbase in a one team city doesn't make a big club 

Nearly 75? I’m mid 60's and can remember it. It was only 1969 ffs

They are a very big club, no question. 

Not massive, obviously. 

22 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

But they haven't have they? We're in our 3rd stint at this level in the last 20 years and haven't been in the top flight in that time. I'm not suggesting we're not a big club but to suggest we're bigger than Middlesbrough is a ridiculous comment and is why other clubs fans think we are an arrogant fan base.

We had better home support than Boro last season. This is in spite of us being a division lower than them.

We had better away support than Boro last season. This is in spite of us being a division lower than them.

Boro have only won one major trophy in their entire history and that was the League Cup in 2004. We on the other hand have won 4 league titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 Charity Shield.

Now I’m not one of these fans who bangs on endlessly about what a big club we are but I would love to know what makes you think Boro are a bigger club than us because going on trophies won and both historical and current attendances, your argument doesn’t really stand up.

33 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

We had better home support than Boro last season. This is in spite of us being a division lower than them.

We had better away support than Boro last season. This is in spite of us being a division lower than them.

Boro have only won one major trophy in their entire history and that was the League Cup in 2004. We on the other hand have won 4 league titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 League Cup and 1 Charity Shield.

Now I’m not one of these fans who bangs on endlessly about what a big club we are but I would love to know what makes you think Boro are a bigger club than us because going on trophies won and both historical and current attendances, your argument doesn’t really stand up.

I'm not necessarily saying they are bigger than us but they are a similar size to us. You can go back hundred years or whatever and say who's won what but recent history very much on their side. Since we were relegated in 2000 they have spent 10 years in the premier league, won the league cup, got to a uefa cup final and had 0 seasons below the championship. We've got to the play offs in the championship twice in that time and are set to spend a sixth season in league one. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

What he said 😃. Also, although I haven't checked we've probably spent longer in the top 2 divisions than them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I'm not necessarily saying they are bigger than us but they are a similar size to us. You can go back hundred years or whatever and say who's won what but recent history very much on their side. Since we were relegated in 2000 they have spent 10 years in the premier league, won the league cup, got to a uefa cup final and had 0 seasons below the championship. We've got to the play offs in the championship twice in that time and are set to spend a sixth season in league one. 

And yet we are still getting bigger gates than them.

I’m sorry but we are a bigger club than Boro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

And yet we are still getting bigger gates than them.

I’m sorry but we are a bigger club than Boro.

So what if we do get bigger crowds we've been awful for over 20 years. I'm not saying they are bigger than us but they are are a similar size club that can pull in similar crowds to us.

3 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

So what if we do get bigger crowds we've been awful for over 20 years. I'm not saying they are bigger than us but they are are a similar size club that can pull in similar crowds to us.

So what if we get bigger crowds??

You are aware this thread is about club size aren’t you?

Yeah I agree we've been awful for 20 years and if you start a thread about who’s better in us and Boro I’m sure you’ll not find any Wednesday fans who’ll say we are better but that’s a completely different argument.

20 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Nearly 75? I’m mid 60's and can remember it. It was only 1969 ffs

They are a very big club, no question. 

Not massive, obviously. 

Was talking about English trophies 

ONLY 1969 ?

That was 53 years ago 

So you've got to   be Knocking on 60 years old to remember them winning anything 

So my point stands their fan base is delusional with how big they are