Storey , Dean & TJJ - Where do the fit in a starting eleven

6 hours ago, Herefordowl79 said:

If Dean signs today as widely anticipated , where do these 3 signing fit into a starting 11 formation? Signing 2 central defenders, along with the form of Hutch would point to DM going 3 at the back. Bypassing the midfield for a

while and moving up front - Gregory is the mainstay in the “9” position , TJJ seems to have come to play in the second striker role and Windass is on fire since returning to injury so I would say we are going to go with a 3 man attacking line up. That leaves a 4 man midfield in a 3-4-3 formation , with that in mind I would go with Hunt Bannan Luongo and NML
wonder what others thoughts are? If we were to play a back 4 then one of storey and Dean would miss out for me owing to Sam’s form , unless he pushes up into a midfield 3 with Luongo and Bannan. 
whilst the signing of Dean is a great signal of intent I’m just not sure we now need Storey too 

Farrell 

Hunt

Dean

Storey

Johnson

Lang

Loungo

Dele

Jules 

Gregory 

Windass 

Simple 4-4-2 

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We couldn't score, he was shocking in a 4231. Kept moving Pato closer and closer from the RW to help.

He played Pato with him for the Wigan game, we scored 2.

Went back to 4231, he got taken off v Oxford at half time, again, shocking.

Next game, we're play 352 v Bolton. He scores, we win.

We had a full strength defence at the time. Iorfa, Dunkley, Hutch, Palmer, even Gibson for a few minutes.

So how was it about injuries?

We only beat Bolton because we changed to 442 at half time if I remember right, hutch went off 

And DM gave the angriest/strangest post match Interview I’ve ever heard after a win , think he was a little bit cross he had to change his shape and we actually started playing football ,  Bolton battered us first 45 

Also 

get ready for Marvin Johnson lining up in back three against Ipswich,  with Storey on bench and Harlee probs not in squad awaiting ‘volume’ or something 

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

We only beat Bolton because we changed to 442 at half time if I remember right, hutch went off 

And DM gave the angriest/strangest post match Interview I’ve ever heard after a win , think he was a little bit cross he had to change his shape and we actually started playing football ,  Bolton battered us first 45 

We were still in 352.

Gibson and Hutch (who was in midfield) came off, Dunks and Adeniran on.

After the game he was saying how well we'd done to learn a new formation in a couple of days.

18 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We couldn't score, he was shocking in a 4231. Kept moving Pato closer and closer from the RW to help.

He played Pato with him for the Wigan game, we scored 2.

Went back to 4231, he got taken off v Oxford at half time, again, shocking.

Next game, we're play 352 v Bolton. He scores, we win.

We had a full strength defence at the time. Iorfa, Dunkley, Hutch, Palmer, even Gibson for a few minutes.

So how was it about injuries?

So Darren Moore didn't say that then.

Thanks for clarifying.

I never mentioned injuries.

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

We were still in 352.

Gibson and Hutch (who was in midfield) came off, Dunks and Adeniran on.

After the game he was saying how well we'd done to learn a new formation in a couple of days.

Stand corrected,  was sure we changed to a 4 in one game around that time 

Easy, 2 of them come straight in and I’ll be stunned if they don’t - TJJ will probably be limited to 20 minutes cameos until Gregory’s form gets any worse. 

BPF

Palmer

Hutchinson

Dean

Storey

NML

Bannan

Luongo

FDB

Windass

Gregory

Thats a very strong team and provided nobody else gets long term injured we should be finishing top 6 minimum. 

Rotate Adeniran, Hunt, TJJ,, Johnson (ONLY AS A WINGBACK), Paterson and when he’s back Dunkley in when needed. 

If only those 18 players are involved until end of the year I’d be very happy. 

Edited by Lionel Fessi
  • Like 1

Just now, Quickly Kevin said:

So Darren Moore didn't say that then.

Thanks for clarifying.

I never mentioned injuries.

Would a manager ever say "I changed the formation because my striker can't score in it"

No he'd say "I changed my formation to deal with the opponent"

Threads over the last couple of days have referred repeatedly to the formation change being due to defensive injuries. This is what I am addressing, in a thread about getting in new defenders, specifically replying to a post suggesting that getting new defenders would allow us to change back.

6 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Would a manager ever say "I changed the formation because my striker can't score in it"

No he'd say "I changed my formation to deal with the opponent"

Threads over the last couple of days have referred repeatedly to the formation change being due to defensive injuries. This is what I am addressing, in a thread about getting in new defenders, specifically replying to a post suggesting that getting new defenders would allow us to change back.

So you are making it up that he changed it because of Gregory. Which conviently fits your slating of him all seaaon.

6 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

So you are making it up that he changed it because of Gregory. Which conviently fits your slating of him all seaaon.

So why did he do it then?

Our entire style changed to slow build up then playing to Gregory's feet in the area.

We aren't changing to that for any other player's benefit.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

So why did he do it then?

Our entire style changed to slow build up then playing to Gregory's feet in the area.

We aren't changing to that for any other player's benefit.

Only DM knows but he changed lineups and formations so often it could have been for any or a few reasons.

And 4-2-3-1 was his preferred formation, we didnt build everything round Gregory.

The Dean and Storey signiggs let us open the option of Hutch and Luongo sharing games in CDM a little more, especially when Dunkley is back.

TJJ opens up the potential to move back to 4-2-3-1 too. 

Hoping that we get in the playoffs with a bit of momentum cos we have lost it all since the covid break

• Like 1

We've got a month of two games per week. Even without injuries I can't see Luongo and Hutch being subjected to that. There'll have to be rotation. Palmer is more likely than those two to play most of the games. Wouldn't be surprised to see a back four on occasions. There'll be game time for all of Storey, Dean and Hutch at CB I reckon.

Up front Gregory and Kamberi will probably rotate doing the donkey work with Gregory likely getting more minutes. Windass providing the cutting edge and hopefully TJJ chipping in. Sow is looking more the part too which will be handy given the upcoming schedule. 

50 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Only DM knows but he changed lineups and formations so often it could have been for any or a few reasons.

And 4-2-3-1 was his preferred formation, we didnt build everything round Gregory.

But there was one player he never changed.

Our formation and style is all about getting the ball to Gregory's feet between the penalty spot and the D, then runners going in off him, or get to the byline and cut back to Gregory.

That's it. That's our tactic.

How is that not built around him?

Barring opportunistic moments, every attack we do is the same.

1. Slowly build up toward the box.

2. Get the ball on the corner of the box.

3. Either pass to Gregory in the D, run in yourself or get it to the byline and cut back to Gregory, or pass it back and try again.

Watch the games, watch our goals, you can see what they're going to do before they do it.

45 minutes ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

Great shout that.

When you look at that possible team I'm sure most Lg1 clubs would be delighted with it.

Let's hope Moore is thinking along the same lines ... No more excuses for DM now.

I have no idea if John-Jules is any good, but if I've got to fit them into a starting 11, that's what I'd go with.

• Like 1