Alex Hunt Signs New Contract!

25 minutes ago, fpowl said:

He still in development 17 games at Grimsby isn’t a reason to be over committing to a player who’s 21 

he will be 23 when that contract runs out 

another half a year on loan this season at a higher level abs a good look at him in pre season ( know doubt we’re in league one still ) might open the door for him to play first team regular here I would imagine if he is we will be negotiating a longer contract at that point 

it’s a huge 12-18 months for him 

He's been at the club for 12-13 years so I would hope by now the youth coaches that he has worked with for at least the last 4 or 5 years have some idea or why are they even coaching the youth players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

I just see it as kicking the can down the road, he cannot be on more than a few grand a week max, if he does well could be worth 10-20 times that figure in a transfer, we get to next January and he doesn't sign a new deal we lose him for next to nothing.

....or if he doesn't develop he can be released by us in 18 months. Works both ways.  The one good thing about a short contract is he doesn't stagnate or  go backwards on a longer deal like Jack Stobbs who was just on the books until his contract expired before being released.

5 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

....or if he doesn't develop he can be released by us in 18 months. Works both ways.  The one good thing about a short contract is he doesn't stagnate or  go backwards on a longer deal like Jack Stobbs who was just on the books until his contract expired before being released.

Whose now playing in league two for Oldham good luck to the lad finally got somewhere than a giving him game time.

Needs another 20 games in League two from now until May to see where we are at with him.

He's either than integrated into the squad for next season or we look to find him a club at the level he's at. I think his technical ability is more suited to this level and above it's just whether he can add some physicality to his game.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, room0035 said:

Good news I just don't understand an 18 month deal, we are in the same situation next January. Surely 2024 with an option of another year then if he impresses, we don't lose him for a compensation fee or to Scotland for nothing.

I am starting to think we have restrictions on contract lengths too.

Probably the fact he’s bang average. 

• Haha 1