Greaves gone

Never saw him play sadly, but went to one of his stage shows - an audience with Jimmy Greaves - after his playing career ended. 

I distinctly remember how, after the show, he spent ages signing books, autographs, chatting with all and sundry  - I think he enjoyed it as much, if not more,  than the audience.

RIP Greavsie 

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why wouldn't Chelsea fans respect it?

Because Chelsea fans absolutely despise Spurs, and a lot of their support are scum.

There's no chance an away end of Chelsea fans at an afternoon kick off at WHL would have respected a minutes silence for a Spurs legend imo, unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Because Chelsea fans absolutely despise Spurs, and a lot of their support are scum.

There's no chance an away end of Chelsea fans at an afternoon kick off at WHL would have respected a minutes silence for a Spurs legend imo, unfortunately.

He's a Chelsea legend too surely 

• Like 1

I hadn't reached my 11th Birthday and we were battling for the first Division crown and confident on the back of a 7-2 FA Cup victory at old Trafford. Greaves was a new acquisition for Spurs and on the back of an 11 match unbeaten run Danny Blanchflower (former Barnsley) brought his side to a Hillsborough full house. No gadgets or media back then other than the Photographs distributed to hundreds of kids stood at the front of the South Stand terracing.    Jimmy Greaves had better than a good game that day but as with a good few of the star strikers Ron Springett was to prove his denier. Three times through on goal and Springett caught each of his shots with acrobatic  nonchalance.

Jimmy was genius going right or left, inside or outside where his forte' was gently placing the ball outside the reach of the keeper; As he did with one of his Cup Final goals a few weeks later against Burnley. There was no reason why we shouldn't have met Spurs in the final that year having lost to Burnley in a sixth round replay. Yet every reason why we would have finished runners up and that was because we missed out on the final piece in our Jigsaw while Bill Nicholson the Spurs manager nailed down Greaves in a master stroke of management.

Jimmy Greaves lead the Spurs side to the Double, a vibrant European journey and a second Championship followed by a lucrative move to Milan and finally one of the most enjoyable Football programmes of all time  Saint & Greavsie  RIP JIMMY GREAVES.     

RIP

Good bloke Greavsie.

I remember him playing for West Ham. @1970 and having a good laugh with the Derby fans in the Ozzo End.

he also raved about the Derby team that stuffed Spurs 5-0 the year before. 
Its rare that you get that sort of sportsmanship and mutual respect now.

when I finally caught up with videos of him in his prime you could see he was a superb striker. Great balance and speed. Dare I say it he looked even better than Kevin Hector, but you’ll never get me to admit that. 
he was very hurt by being left out of the 66 World Cup winning team. I think Alf should have picked him. Not sure if they had subs then, but he would have made a great team even better.

After he finished playing he ended up an alcoholic just like cloughie, george best and Gazza, but he  battled back and deserves great credit for being so honest.

a true great both on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's a Chelsea legend too surely 

Jesus - I totally discounted his time at Chelsea didn't I!

I always just see him as a Spurs legend - my bad.

Agree then - a minutes silence would've been totally appropriate - weird it wasn't done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1867owl said:

Jesus - I totally discounted his time at Chelsea didn't I!

I always just see him as a Spurs legend - my bad.

Agree then - a minutes silence would've been totally appropriate - weird it wasn't done.

haha I wasn't sure whether you were alluding to some animosity between him and Chelsea so I had a look and it was Chelsea who forced Greaves to move so no reason the fans should have an issue with him.

In my opinion the greatest ever English striker. Certainly the best I ever saw.  I used to go to Forest and even Bramall Lane  just to see him.  He was very honest, admitting his appalling behaviour during his alcoholism.  And he was a great, and funny, broadcaster.   He had a stroke some time ago, and, I think, dementia, so his passing I think is a blessing. RIP Greavsie.

(he wrote the foreword in Peter Swans book if i recall correctly)

• Like 1