Greaves gone

46 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I hadn't reached my 11th Birthday and we were battling for the first Division crown and confident on the back of a 7-2 FA Cup victory at old Trafford. Greaves was a new acquisition for Spurs and on the back of an 11 match unbeaten run Danny Blanchflower (former Barnsley) brought his side to a Hillsborough full house. No gadgets or media back then other than the Photographs distributed to hundreds of kids stood at the front of the South Stand terracing.    Jimmy Greaves had better than a good game that day but as with a good few of the star strikers Ron Springett was to prove his denier. Three times through on goal and Springett caught each of his shots with acrobatic  nonchalance.

Jimmy was genius going right or left, inside or outside where his forte' was gently placing the ball outside the reach of the keeper; As he did with one of his Cup Final goals a few weeks later against Burnley. There was no reason why we shouldn't have met Spurs in the final that year having lost to Burnley in a sixth round replay. Yet every reason why we would have finished runners up and that was because we missed out on the final piece in our Jigsaw while Bill Nicholson the Spurs manager nailed down Greaves in a master stroke of management.

Jimmy Greaves lead the Spurs side to the Double, a vibrant European journey and a second Championship followed by a lucrative move to Milan and finally one of the most enjoyable Football programmes of all time  Saint & Greavsie  RIP JIMMY GREAVES.     

think you got your seasons mixed up there nev but your right that greaves was a top bloke .....

• Like 1

I`m not quite old enough to have seen him in his pomp , but the best finisher of all time according to my old man , and he always used to say it was such a shame that Ramsay preferred Roger Hunt in the 66 side.

Very honest about his problems with alcohol , and indeed funny..........................i remember seeing him on TV once and someone asked him if he was drinking heavily when he played in Italy , he said "well put it this way , we played Pisa away and the tower looked OK to me !! "

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Jimmy Greaves lead the Spurs side to the Double, a vibrant European journey and a second Championship followed by a lucrative move to Milan

Outside of the Europe bit this isn't right. Signed from Milan the season after Spurs beat Wednesday to the title. Never won the league.

• Like 1

I loved Saint & Greavsie when I was a kid. Probably the greatest football talk show ever. My dad used to say how great he was as a footballer, "Saint was a decent striker but Greaves was the best".

After reading his book it was incredible to think that someone so talented could fall to such a low that for five years he didn't know what he did. To come back from that to have the later career he did was fantastic.

RIP Jimmy

7 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Outside of the Europe bit this isn't right. Signed from Milan the season after Spurs beat Wednesday to the title. Never won the league.

Thats correct. Spurs signed Jimmy Greaves with the extra money made from winning the double.

Jimmy Greaves was just a born natural footballer. He didn't train obsessively or think deeply about the games tactics etc.
Just turned up and was instinctive. 
Would put in alongside Stanley Matthews, Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore as the greatest England players of all time.

He came across as well as a naturally warm bloke and witty bloke who was great mates with nearly everyone in football.

This made me laugh although the punchline is from Eric Morecambe.

Jimmy Greaves met up with comedian Eric Morecambe at a ‘Goal Diggers’ charity event. Eric asked Jimmy; ‘What would you have done if you hadn’t been a footballer and able to score goals?’
Jimmy replied; ‘I had a job lined up as a compositor at The Times.

‘What about you Eric? What would you and Ernie have been if you weren’t funny?’
‘Mike and Bernie Winters’. Came the reply.

• Haha 2