Moore no plan B

Moore makes his subs early for one reason - he does not start with the best 11 he has at his disposal.

You watch in coming games, you'll see two or three players on the bench you would personally expect to start.   They invariably are the ones that come on between 60-70 minutes.

4 hours ago, No Uniform said:

The only criticism that I saw from Moores previous clubs. Was that although his plan a, was usually good, he didn't know what to do if that didn't work. 

Now I know its early days, but so far I have only seen the opposite, albeit in small doses last season (where the majority of the team had given up, or didn't want to play for us). His tactical tweaks, have made the difference so far this season. Its bloody refreshing! 

Long may it continue. 

He executed plan b yesterday changed team to suit the opposition and plenty on the bench to change it again if needed

I guess the true test of this is what he does if we are a goal down after 60 minutes. So far it’s impossible to argue with his decisions because they’ve worked and we haven’t conceded. Plus his pre-match changes have also worked, Luongo yesterday for instance. However, with Windass & Shodipo fit, plus match time in the legs of Sow and Corbaneau, I wonder how fans would react if we brought on like for like and don’t  go 2 up top if we are chasing a match. Thinking of some other teams, Liverpool as an example (I know they are not a true comparison), it’s rare that Klopp goes away from the 4-3-3 shape even when they are behind. If Moore has a strong belief that we should play to that system in all but the rarest of circumstances, we may have to accept that we will sometimes see us with just 1 striker on the pitch despite us being behind. 

Edited by onlyonedavidhirst
Spelling error

I think that Russell Martin clip from @agentwalker sums it up. 'Plan B' is British-pundit speak for throw a big man on upfront and hit it long. Lots of good teams don't do that. In fact, in this league, lots of the big opposition centre backs would want us to try this.

We'll see what happens when we need to chase a game, but I think we don't necessarily have to change formation - you can carry on playing the same formation but commit more men forward. Or just try and continue with the same tactics but do it better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Moore makes his subs early for one reason - he does not start with the best 11 he has at his disposal.

You watch in coming games, you'll see two or three players on the bench you would personally expect to start.   They invariably are the ones that come on between 60-70 minutes.

Isn't this how Ismael almost got Barnsley promoted on a tiny budget last year? He had 5-6 good attacking players, picked 3 and told them to run like crazy for 60 minutes, and then rotated out 2-3 for equally good players for the last 30 minutes who upped the intensity further.

Admittedly the 5-subs rule helped him do this. But I can see a plan when Kamberi/Gregory are basically going to split the games 50:50 this season, if a game is more suited to Gregory he gets an hour, the next week its more of a Kamberi game and he gets and hour. Same for Corbeanu/Windass on the right or Sow/Johnson/Brown on the left?

Last thing the opposition will want after 60 minutes is a fresh striker and winger coming on and running them ragged for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, No Uniform said:

The only criticism that I saw from Moores previous clubs. Was that although his plan a, was usually good, he didn't know what to do if that didn't work. 

Now I know its early days, but so far I have only seen the opposite, albeit in small doses last season (where the majority of the team had given up, or didn't want to play for us). His tactical tweaks, have made the difference so far this season. Its bloody refreshing! 

Long may it continue. 

Plan B is to keep Chansiri away from Hillsborough, 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Isn't this how Ismael almost got Barnsley promoted on a tiny budget last year? He had 5-6 good attacking players, picked 3 and told them to run like crazy for 60 minutes, and then rotated out 2-3 for equally good players for the last 30 minutes who upped the intensity further.

Admittedly the 5-subs rule helped him do this. But I can see a plan when Kamberi/Gregory are basically going to split the games 50:50 this season, if a game is more suited to Gregory he gets an hour, the next week its more of a Kamberi game and he gets and hour. Same for Corbeanu/Windass on the right or Sow/Johnson/Brown on the left?

Last thing the opposition will want after 60 minutes is a fresh striker and winger coming on and running them ragged for 30 minutes.

Pretty much the same principle.

Moore ends up with a stronger 11 on the pitch come the end of the game, and at this level that may well be very effective with opposition tiring.