SOUTHGATE OUT

5 hours ago, Taz said:

Whoever replaces Southgate will be worse. 

we just aren’t very good. You surround these average players with Agueros and they look amazing. The England side has never been better than any top half premier league side. 

of course we’ll get mullered by 8 or so teams in this competition. 

I have ZERO fkn idea what you lost expect out of our squad. 

for 20 years England have done naff all and have had a series of awful tournaments, or not even qualifying.

mcclaren

capello

Hodgson

the games against Iceland and algeria and the rest....

but nah nah, you lot, you geniuses, you football brainiacs have cracked it... it’s the bloke who took us to the World Cup final in 2018... that’s the problem.

lol

fk me 

Exactly this. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Taz said:

One was euros which is barely worth half a wc

Southgate is a maverick, the ppl don’t like it but by god does he get results. 

Does he though?

England have always been great in qualifying.

Take the nations league for example, ok we beat Spain away but then in the finals lost to Netherlands. In the second one lost to Belgium and couldn't beat Denmark home or away.

World cup played two good teams lost both times.

No doubt we'll come up against a good side in this tournament and get beat.

Tactically he's out of his depth. What did he do before England, oh thats right, get relegated with Middlesbrough!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How many points has he got?

Portugal won the last Euro's and probably played well once in the tournament. 

I understand that the main objective is to get through to the next round - so in that regard job done - and yes we can make yesterday just a blip in the road to glory

It's just so disappointing to see us so clueless, so out of shape regarding gameplan, looking so ponderous and lethargic - 2 DM's at home to one of the lowest rankled teams ever to get to the finals

So many good players looking a shadow of themselves - no expression, no intensity and no idea what their objective is

I've seen this film before

Too many times

• Like 6

I watched around the last 20 minutes and was rooting for Scotland (I'm half before someone has a fit) and it reminded me of the Iceland game in 2016. England were happy with the point from what I saw, I see the Czechs beating us. What "good" team plays with two DM's too? It's something a smaller team would do. Can we be compared with the good nations anyway? Since the 2000's:

Spain: 2 Euro's and 1 WC.

France: 1 Euro, 1 WC and 2 finals. 

Germany: 1 WC, 2 finals and 4 semi-finals.

Italy: 1 WC and 2 finals.

Portugal: 1 Euro, 1 final and 3 semi-finals.

Netherlands: 1 final and 3 semi-finals. 

Looking at us and other European nations.

Greece: 1 Euro.

Turkey: 2 semi-finals.

Czech Republic: 1 semi-final.  

Russia: 1 semi-final.

Wales:  1 semi-final.

Belgium: 1 semi-final.

England: 1 semi-final. 

And to get that first semi-final since the 2000's/or 1996 we beat Tunisia barley, Panama (enough said), lost against Belgium, beat Columbia on penalties (the best side we beat, I didn't watch it, but heard it was close?), beat Sweden, lost to Croatia and lost against Belgium again for the 3rd place finish. It wasn't exactly a hard route. Also on the point of qualifying, aren't we expected to qualify for tournaments anyway, is it an achievement for us now? When was the last time we didn't make one anyway, the 90's? I guess we can aim for Turkey's 2 semi-finals for progress.😆

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

I watched around the last 20 minutes and was rooting for Scotland (I'm half before someone has a fit) and it reminded me of the Iceland game in 2016. England were happy with the point from what I saw, I see the Czechs beating us. What "good" team plays with two DM's too? It's something a smaller team would do. Can we be compared with the good nations anyway? Since the 2000's:

Spain: 2 Euro's and 1 WC.

France: 1 Euro, 1 WC and 2 finals. 

Germany: 1 WC, 2 finals and 4 semi-finals.

Italy: 1 WC and 2 finals.

Portugal: 1 Euro, 1 final and 3 semi-finals.

Netherlands: 1 final and 3 semi-finals. 

Looking at us and other European nations.

Greece: 1 Euro.

Turkey: 2 semi-finals.

Czech Republic: 1 semi-final.  

Russia: 1 semi-final.

Wales:  1 semi-final.

Belgium: 1 semi-final.

England: 1 semi-final. 

And to get that first semi-final since the 2000's/or 1996 we beat Tunisia barley, Panama (enough said), lost against Belgium, beat Columbia on penalties (the best side we beat, I didn't watch it, but heard it was close?), beat Sweden, lost to Croatia and lost against Belgium again for the 3rd place finish. It wasn't exactly a hard route. Also on the point of qualifying, aren't we expected to qualify for tournaments anyway, is it an achievement for us now? When was the last time we didn't make one anyway, the 90's? I guess we can aim for Turkey's 2 semi-finals for progress.😆

Basically our record in 90 minutes at the World Cup 2018

Won 3 

Lost 2

Drew 2 

Or overall

Won 4 

Lost 3 

We beat Tunisia in the last minute, Colombia on penalties.

We got totally outplayed by Belgium in two games.

Harry Kane won the golden boot with goals including 3 penalties and a complete fluke.  He was as bad in that tournament as he his now in this one.

Stones and Maguire somehow became the best defensive partnership in Europe by scoring a couple of headers, never getting close to a decent attacker, and in Stones case losing an aging Mandzucik for Croatias semi final winner. 

On reflection,  that World Cup has a lot to answer for! 

• Like 1

First decent team this lot come up against they'll lose and we will be out.

It's not just the fact we didn't beat Scotland, it's the fact we didn't deserve to do so.

Very poor. Team has no identity, no real coherence.

Is his main tactic going to be switching out the fullbacks? Inspiring stuff.

• Like 4

The fact he wouldn’t get a job in the PL tells you everything you need to know. He’s a third rate manager who got the job by virtue that he won’t rock the boat. If the FA wants a yes man then at least get one who will actually go for it ffs

Edited by owls maniac
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, fudge27 said:

England for too long have had managers who worry more about trying to be trendy and talk about stopping the oppositions passing lines and pressing smartly. 

We need someone who picks players who will be aggressive with the ball and without it. 

Did you see that rain coat he had on? Reyt bog trotter coat.

As a manager, clueless.

Unfortunately, as always those in charge of the post of England manager don't see failure as a negative.

Think Old Woy, worst England performance ever  in the 2014 World Cup.

His punishment? A contract extension. He went on to further humiliate the country by the loss to Iceland in 2016 Euros.

It's not going to change I'm afraid. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Big Malc said:

We have a more than capable attacking front line, who appear to being coached to not attack.  

Our strength is our forwards.  Play to our strengths or F Off.

Exactly this. He manages to negate our attacking strengths and feels the full back positions is where he needs to tweak things.

I'd like to take his beard off with a pair of pliers.

• Haha 5

He's a pragmatist. 

He doesn't appreciate the attacking talent at his disposal and is too worried about us conceding goals. 

Ffs he had two holding midfielders playing last night against Scotland. If that's not enough insurance for a the rest of the team (bar the CBs) to attack and do so with purpose, then fizz knows what we are doing. 

• Like 2

When you've got 20 year olds who have never cleaned a boot in their lives on £50k p/w globetrotting in first class style and playing in cosmopolitan squads for untold riches you have to ask yourself how any manager can motivate them.

Not defending Southgate.

But international football isnt what it was, you see same players week-in, week-out...

Also eligibility rules are a joke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

When you've got 20 year olds who have never cleaned a boot in their lives on £50k p/w globetrotting in first class style and playing in cosmopolitan squads for untold riches you have to ask yourself how any manager can motivate them.

Not defending Southgate.

But international football isnt what it was, you see same players week-in, week-out...

Also eligibility rules are a joke.

France and a fair few others seem to make it work. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

With very different and less top-heavy domestic league systems.

After the corruption scandal Serie A is reborn and will rise as the best league once again.

Perhaps. 

I think too often we fail to appreciate that, whilst we do have some very good players, they are made to look better by the brilliant foreign talent that surrounds them. 

Anyway, we've got Steve McClaren on Sky telling us how rubbish we were last night. Tbf, he is an expert on this subject. 

• Haha 1

I don’t think the weeks build up helped 

All the laughing and joking with the players, lauding them, singing karaoke etc 

We’re in the middle of a tournament FFS, why are the media doing all that nonsense? 

rubbing their bellies like they’d already won the thing

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t think the weeks build up helped 

All the laughing and joking with the players, lauding them, singing karaoke etc 

We’re in the middle of a tournament FFS, why are the media doing all that nonsense? 

rubbing their bellies like they’d already won the thing

We always get carried away one way or another.

Tbf, you could say the reaction to last night's efforts is indicative of that: we build ourselves up to be something we are not and then fall flat on our arses time and time again. 

• Like 2

I don’t follow England that closely as they bore me shtless, but Scotland was a predictable low. we quality by beating useless teams and then usually fail against any country rated in the top 10.

we have some decent attacking players but they weren’t on the pitch. Grealish is wasted. He is head and shoulders above the rest. (Just a pity that he is a pillock, but he can play). Tammy Abrahams will always score goals but where is he? We were statuesque as Scotland passed it about and grew in confidence. There was no fire in our bellies. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

With very different and less top-heavy domestic league systems.

After the corruption scandal Serie A is reborn and will rise as the best league once again.

The majority of the French squad ply their trade on the continent.