Thompson has had a terrible week

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Fair criticism that it seemed to  take an age to make changes after the red card

Definitely. 15 mins went by with Brum gaining territory and possession before he hooked Dunkley for Reach, which then left us with two left sided wing backs as far as I could see, imbalancing the team further.

Anyway, NT’s the least of the problems when you look at the bigger picture. Anyone fancy Cambridge away next season? 😂

Biggest mistake Thompson made today was changing the system from 352/532 to playing 442.

I know we’ve had a couple of stinkers away at Millwall, Coventry and Stoke but the 352 he’s been using won us 5 home games in a row amongst a decent away win at Bournemouth. Personally I’d have stuck with that. 

I certainly don’t think Thompson is to blame however. All the blame for our scenario is down to one man and his inability to make decisions and run this club properly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I agree he's called it wrong and made mistakes

More worryingly he's now started to play more defensively and is worrying about stopping the opposition 

Soon as that happens it's game over as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

But truth is looks like we've got him till the season ends no matter what because of the situation and the chairman (sorry folks but it's true - the chairman is responsible)

I would bring a british manager in tonight if we can. Dont ask me who, but the type of football I am seeing & tactics will only end us in division 1. Too late for a foreign manager.

2 minutes ago, Watto said:

Thompson in my mind is thinking it's the best role I've ever had in football, nothing to lose , been here years , comfortable in my role and will probs go back to managing u23s when new manager comes in .....it needs a proper manager who if we lose it hurts him as much as the fans.

Just in Time for the 1st  division battle to stay up.

5 minutes ago, Watto said:

Thompson in my mind is thinking it's the best role I've ever had in football, nothing to lose , been here years , comfortable in my role and will probs go back to managing u23s when new manager comes in .....it needs a proper manager who if we lose it hurts him as much as the fans.

I think the players should be hurting more tonight.

4 minutes ago, everydayiswednesday said:

I would bring a british manager in tonight if we can. Dont ask me who, but the type of football I am seeing & tactics will only end us in division 1. Too late for a foreign manager.

How you suggest we do that, get some dna and grow one on a mouses back ??? The whole point is nobody wants to manage us. Its a total no win situation. We go down its managers fault, we stay up and thats what is expected even though we have seen how poor we can be. We got a total car crash of a squad, what Thompson has managed so far is miraculous. We cant expect the turn around in form  to be any better than it has been. If Thompson can keep to this level avg of points per game we should be ok. We never going to win every game though

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, everydayiswednesday said:

Yep any well run club would be giving a British manager like Cook an 18 month contract tomorrow and saying, yes we might be going down but work with this group - see what you can do, and if we’re going down then plan for next season.   

12 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Biggest mistake Thompson made today was changing the system from 352/532 to playing 442.

I know we’ve had a couple of stinkers away at Millwall, Coventry and Stoke but the 352 he’s been using won us 5 home games in a row amongst a decent away win at Bournemouth. Personally I’d have stuck with that. 

I certainly don’t think Thompson is to blame however. All the blame for our scenario is down to one man and his inability to make decisions and run this club properly. 

I think at home after the good run it was a calculated risk to try it out. It didn't work at all. Can't see him doing that again

34 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Disagree. He may have made mistakes but he will learn. Rather than getting someone else in who would go through the motions aswel

We don't have the time for him to learn.

Should have learnt from mid week but made the same mistakes today.

Look I'm not battering Thompson, it's been thrust upon him but he's not the man for the job at this moment in time.

Pulis should have been replaced immediately with an experienced manager/coach.

3 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

How you suggest we do that, get some dna and grow one on a mouses back ??? The whole point is nobody wants to manage us. Its a total no win situation. We go down its managers fault, we stay up and thats what is expected even though we have seen how poor we can be. We got a total car crash of a squad, what Thompson has managed so far is miraculous. We cant expect the turn around in form  to be any better than it has been. If Thompson can keep to this level avg of points per game we should be ok. We never going to win every game though

Ok we just drift onto division 1 then & do nothing. I have nothing against Neil Thompson, just dont think he will keep us up. I do hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't disagree, but it's a hiding to nothing. Who would take the job now? What realistically can they do with games ever weekend/midweek?

Despite Brentford's indifferent form, can see us getting a battering there and a meek 1-0 defeat away at Luton. It's the Wednesday way to buck the trend, but I don't see it. The players are hiding on the pitch and nothing in the reserves to come in and make a material difference.

I do agree but after these last 2 games it looks like we are going down with a whimper. I just don’t know if we will need to try something, anything different to give us a chance of staying up. 

• Like 1

Just now, everydayiswednesday said:

Ok we just drift onto division 1 then & do nothing. I have nothing against Neil Thompson, just dont think he will keep us up. I do hope he proves me wrong.

He more chance of keeping us up than a non descript un proven manager because that is all we could hope to get. This is all pointless anyway, the players are to blame today. They all played badly. Sure they would agree

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

No its not, he had thompson in mind and a good job he did. What was the alternative keep pullis ???? Can we only remember the last 90 mins we played ??

No, Pulis quite rightly had to go and great he won a few matches but the last 2 outings have been poor selections and substitutions.

I'll say again, I'm not battering Thompson but he's not the right man for the situation we're in.

• Like 1