Thompson has had a terrible week

Seems strange we aren’t looking long term now and saying to Cook or whoever, okay we are almost certainly going down so work with this squad for the rest of this season, see who you rate and who we are happy to let go.  Then start a list of players you want for league 1.

That would be a sensible way to run a club.   Not just leave a guy in charge who is not really a manager and drift away to the abyss and will probably take the summer finding the “right man” for league 1

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, September65 said:

He shouldn't be in the role in the first place. Chansiri sacks Pulis and has no idea about a replacement. Then misses McCarthy and ignores Cook.

Selection and substitutions at Stoke and today baffling.

Totally 100% correct

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I can't even imagine what Chansiri will say if we do go down as to why we have done the manager and January Transfer Window as we have done

He will blame everyone else except himself. It'll go something like " We had a good enough squad to stay up but Pulis, Thompson, the players and the custo... fans let me down."

3 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

He got it wrong today. 
He got it wrong in the week. 
He’s done ok but let’s be honest we’ve been fortunate. 
Needs to go back to U23 and we need a young manager in who will take us down but prepare for L1. Lowe. Cowley. 

Disagree. He may have made mistakes but he will learn. Rather than getting someone else in who would go through the motions aswel

11 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Seems strange we aren’t looking long term now and saying to Cook or whoever, okay we are almost certainly going down so work with this squad for the rest of this season, see who you rate and who we are happy to let go.  Then start a list of players you want for league 1.

That would be a sensible way to run a club.   Not just leave a guy in charge who is not really a manager and drift away to the abyss and will probably take the summer finding the “right man” for league 1

Let’s hope Chansiri is looking to sell and that’s the only reason he’s not offering a manager a contract longer than 3 months.  Otherwise it’s just too depressing to think about

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He got it wrong today and he got it wrong against Stoke. Can’t afford many more games of getting it wrong. If we fail to get 3-4 points from the next 2 should we look at a change?

Don't disagree, but it's a hiding to nothing. Who would take the job now? What realistically can they do with games ever weekend/midweek?

Despite Brentford's indifferent form, can see us getting a battering there and a meek 1-0 defeat away at Luton. It's the Wednesday way to buck the trend, but I don't see it. The players are hiding on the pitch and nothing in the reserves to come in and make a material difference.

Edited by striker

8 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He got it wrong today and he got it wrong against Stoke. Can’t afford many more games of getting it wrong. If we fail to get 3-4 points from the next 2 should we look at a change?

I agree he's called it wrong and made mistakes

More worryingly he's now started to play more defensively and is worrying about stopping the opposition 

Soon as that happens it's game over as manager of Sheffield Wednesday

But truth is looks like we've got him till the season ends no matter what because of the situation and the chairman (sorry folks but it's true - the chairman is responsible)

Owlstalk Shop

23 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Thompson done well to get us into a position where we still have a fighting chance of stopping up.

At Christmas I thought we would be cut well a drift by now.

But it was a bit predictable we would get a bit of a dip in performances after a while.

These players have been doing that for the last 4 seasons, always flatter when a new man comes in, then return to type soon after.

Maybe the way to stay up is to Demote NT and promote Steve Haslam for a few games?.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Only one reason  why he's managing this club 

Simply because nobody else will come and work for this chairman

That’s fair enough. He should’t be the manager I think we all can agree that. However, he’s managed teams before and, regardless of the level of team, football’s football. It was obvious he needed to change it after the red yet waited too long.

Surely even a sunday league amateur manager could see that the team shape was all wrong both before and after Shaw’s red.

I feel for the guy because he’s been put in a crappy situation but that doesn’t excuse him from making rank bad, baffling decisions when the proverbial hits the fan ie- red card today

How is this Thompson's fault. The man to blame is 1000s of miles away full stop, yes NT has had some good results but we all sort of knew when it came to winning must win games at crucial times he would be found wanting against more experienced managers in the end. In the last 2 games he's been found tactically wanting, but what do you expect he's a reserve team coach put in a difficult position. Now we are in serious trouble and some will say he should be replaced and in normal circumstances their right, but does anyone with hand on heart honestly believe this incompetent owner has a clue who to replace him with, I'm convinced he's got no one lined up if he had they would be here by now. So resign yourself to Thompson for the rest of the season and except our fate and vent your anger at the clueless, arrogant owner

• Thanks 1

Just now, ruscol85 said:

That’s fair enough. He should’t be the manager I think we all can agree that. However, he’s managed teams before and, regardless of the level of team, football’s football. It was obvious he needed to change it after the red yet waited too long.

Surely even a sunday league amateur manager could see that the team shape was all wrong both before and after Shaw’s red.

I feel for the guy because he’s been put in a crappy situation but that doesn’t excuse him from making rank bad, baffling decisions when the proverbial hits the fan ie- red card today

Fair criticism that it seemed to  take an age to make changes after the red card

Owlstalk Shop

Thompson in my mind is thinking it's the best role I've ever had in football, nothing to lose , been here years , comfortable in my role and will probs go back to managing u23s when new manager comes in .....it needs a proper manager who if we lose it hurts him as much as the fans.