42 years ago today

7 minutes ago, Meowl said:

First of the four replays was at Highbury. Dennis Leman had a good game if I remember. I'm sure Arsenal scored a late goal which denied a famous win.

Yes that's the one I referred to above listening on the radio in the tap room of the Blue Ball.  Stoppage time equaliser for Arsenal IIRC, always been the same

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I thought so but can't remember if I had a season ticket for the Kop that season.

Same but the tickets were for the North stand as I remember, which for me back then was a novelty.

Sit there regularly now from around 2005.

10 minutes ago, Meowl said:

First of the four replays was at Highbury. Dennis Leman had a good game if I remember. I'm sure Arsenal scored a late goal which denied a famous win.

You are correct.

Think Rodger Wylde got the goal at Highbury.

Always remember Wednesday taking loads more than Arsenal to the replays at Leicester and how we matched them in the first two there.

We were struggling in the old 3rd division aswell then but that was the start of an upturn under Big Jack where it made you proud to be a Wednesdayite again.

17 minutes ago, Watto said:

You are correct.

Always remember Wednesday taking loads more than Arsenal to the replays at Leicester and how we matched them in the first two there.

We were struggling in the old 3rd division aswell then but that was the start of an upturn under Big Jack where it made you proud to be a Wednesdayite again.

Equaliser by Liam Brady?

34 minutes ago, s2blue said:

i was sat in north stand next to the kop, then went to the 3-3 at Leicester. that's when clubs would put a full strength team out

Yep we played those 5 Cup games over 16 days and nobody moaned about tiredness or injuries then.

They got on with it and gave 100% every game, probably carrying knocks that would keep todays players out for weeks.

I also remember going to Aston Villa a week later in the League Cup and losing 1-0. Gary Shelton scored for them and we took a big following and another great atmosphere.

• Love 2

24 minutes ago, Watto said:

You are correct.

Brought down to earth with defeats at Plymouth and Southend after that cup run and then drew against Tranmere, Carlisle and Shrewsbury. But I always thought those Arsenal games were something of a turning point in the club's fortunes - with of course promotion from Div 3 the following season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yep we played those 5 Cup games over 16 days and nobody moaned about tiredness or injuries then.

They got on with it and gave 100% every game, probably carrying knocks that would keep todays players out for weeks.

I also remember going to Aston Villa a week later in the League Cup and losing 1-0. Gary Shelton scored for them and we took a big following and another great atmosphere.

Apologies memory playing tricks, the Villa game was earlier in the season.

We were in the west stand which meant we got a great view of the snowballs raining down from the kop.

And an even better one of Johnsons header.

Gutted when I missed the 5th game, remember being glued to my transistor radio listening to it. The one thing I'll never forget from Peter Brackley's commentary was when we went 2:0 down and he said "with Arsenal now 2 : 0 up you'd think this game is over but who would DARE so its over" 

I recall that giving me some hope that we'd get it back again but, alas.

53 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The villa game was earlier that season I think , league cup 2nd round .

41 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Nearly 34K at the Arsenal match yet the highest gate at Hillsborough in the League that season was 13,746 with many below 10K.

The fa cup then was huge , every club played their full team , no fannying around with squad rotation then and the crowds were usually the highest of the season.....how times have changed 😔

• Like 2

Remember the ties very well went to 3 of them missed highbury and final leiceter tie due to work 

Didnt clear the snow off the pitch but put plenty back on when snowballing jennings

Remember driving down to leicester in my beat up avenger in very thick fog

The games at leicester were brillant and we matched a very strong arsenal side liam brady and all

We had stars inour side dave rushbury brian hornsby etc 

79 was a good year staring with the cup ties getting married and finishing with the boxing day massacre 

• Like 1