42 years ago today

Anyone else clearing the now off the pitch back then?

I'd be 14 , end of school holidays or maybe snowed off and volunteered to go down and shuvel snow off the pitch in the week leading up to the game.

Was rewarded with a fantastic Wednesday performance in a 1-1 draw with high flying Arsenal , the snowballing of Pat Jennings and 4 replays , of which I went to all 3 at Leicester's ground.

Happy days 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This game gets a mention in the novel Mix Tape by Jane Sanderson out last year. Lead character Dan is a Wednesday fan and takes his new girlfriend to this match. She throws snow balls at Pat Jennings. She sounds more like a Blade to me. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Watto said:

Anyone else clearing the now off the pitch back then?

I'd be 14 , end of school holidays or maybe snowed off and volunteered to go down and shuvel snow off the pitch in the week leading up to the game.

Was rewarded with a fantastic Wednesday performance in a 1-1 draw with high flying Arsenal , the snowballing of Pat Jennings and 4 replays , of which I went to all 3 at Leicester's ground.

Happy days 

Didnt clear the pitch but i did throw s few snowballs..:ph34r:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Watto said:

I thought this topic would get more comments , ah well .....maybe I'm showing my age.

Wonder what the average age of this forum is ?

I think I am year older than you.

I remember it well and the subsequent trips to Filbert street.

Just now, Lime Tree Heros said:

I remember it, it was a bad winter that year with lots of games postponed, but I think Filbert Street had undersoil heating so the games went ahead and always seemed to be on the radio.

Leicester were one of the few clubs with one of those inflatable pitch cover thingys.

1 minute ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

I remember it, it was a bad winter that year with lots of games postponed, but I think Filbert Street had undersoil heating so the games went ahead and always seemed to be on the radio.

Wasn’t it a balloon thing they had?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Watto said:

I thought this topic would get more comments , ah well .....maybe I'm showing my age.

Wonder what the average age of this forum is ?

Thank you for reminding all us old uns of this, most appreciate it.  I was sat middle of south at Hillsborough, even my young arms could not launch a snowball as far as Jennings, but thought it was hilarious.  Listened to the Highbury match playing darts in the Blue Ball at Worrall, someone brought a radio into the tap room.  Went to all the Leicester replays, seem to remember one or two very foggy drives down the M1.  Happy days.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

4 minutes ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

They had a great big hot air balloon like thing that covered the pitch I think.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yes I was one of the snow shovellers. Ashamed to say I didn't throw snowballs at Pat Jennings.

I'm not sure but did everyone get a free ticket for helping to clear the pitch?

Didn't go to Highbury for the replay but went to every game at Leicester, great times.

Yes that's what I seem to remember a free ticket , think I ended up with 2 or 3