42 years ago today

Went to all of them , went to Highbury and somehow wound up on the clock end , was sneaking out at full time when Liam Brady equalised , had to celebrate like mad in the middle of the arsenal fans . Went under the stand at full time drinking in “ the gunner “ I think it was called , too scared to watch Extra time upstairs 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ffs owl said:

Went to all of them , went to Highbury and somehow wound up on the clock end , was sneaking out at full time when Liam Brady equalised , had to celebrate like mad in the middle of the arsenal fans . Went under the stand at full time drinking in “ the gunner “ I think it was called , too scared to watch Extra time upstairs 

I take it you were living locally at the time , wouldn't be any trains that late would there ?

4 hours ago, bryan1966 said:

I was 11 and in the V on the Leppings Lane end. Didn’t throw many snowballs but was hit by plenty from the Arsenal fans. Anybody else in that part of the ground ? It was an experience !

I was 10 and was in the Lepp on the left hand side with my Dad. (We always went there in them days and I don't ever recall any away fans until this day).

I remember throwing some snowballs at other fans just before half time  (I think it might have been a bit more serious than that) 

We went out at half time for a drink or a pie when we tried to return a Policeman advised my Dad not to take me back in there and sent us up into the Triangle.

I can remember at some stage in the second half a large group charging down past us and onto the Bottom of the Lepp where we'd been stood.

It all seemed like fun to my innocent mind, but looking back it would have been Wednesday or Arsenal fans either running away from the Police or more likely, running into battle with the opposition fans.

I can't remember much of the match, other than the score and the snowballing (Both at Jennings and as I've previously said at each other on the Lepp).

In fact I can recall being glued to the Radio for the following 4 Matches much more than the actual game I went to.

Having recently seen highlights of this match elsewhere it did bring back long since forgotten memories of us all singing

"We all agree that Sheffield Wednesday are Magic"

Loved supporting the Owls back then, probably because I didn't really know just how poo we were and had been for all my days supporting Wednesday.

Surprisingly given how bad we were at the time, whenever my Dad took me (I'm guessing about 20 matches) we never lost, until Bloody Wrexham took us apart 3 nil (with a handful of crazy Welshman being huddled in the Kop Triangle).

Those 5 Matches though and indeed just the FA Cup back then, enough to make me go misty eyed! 

5 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

I was 9 and was in the Lepp on the left hand side with my Dad. (We always went there in them days and I don't ever recall any away fans until this day).

I remember throwing some snowballs at other fans just before half time  (I think it might have been a bit more serious than that) 

We went out at half time for a drink or a pie when we tried to return a Policeman advised my Dad not to take me back in there and sent us up into the Triangle.

I can remember at some stage in the second half a large group charging down past us and onto the Bottom of the Lepp where we'd been stood.

It all seemed like fun to my innocent mind, but looking back it would have been Wednesday or Arsenal fans either running away from the Police or more likely, running into battle with the opposition fans.

I can't remember much of the match, other than the score and the snowballing (Both at Jennings and as I've previously said at each other on the Lepp).

In fact I can recall being glued to the Radio for the following 4 Matches much more than the actual game I went to.

Having recently seen highlights of this match elsewhere it did bring back long since forgotten memories of us all singing

Loved supporting the Owls back then, probably because I didn't really know just how poo we were and had been for all my days supporting Wednesday.

Surprisingly given how bad we were at the time, whenever my Dad took me (I'm guessing about 20 matches) we never lost, until Bloody Wrexham took us apart 3 nil (with a handful of crazy Welshman being huddled in the Kop Triangle).

Those 5 Matches though and indeed just the FA Cup back then, enough to make me go misty eyed! 

3 hours ago, Watto said:

I take it you were living locally at the time , wouldn't be any trains that late would there ?

We went down on a football special.  Ended up coming back on the Chap’ supporters coach, but that’s another story.  Probably the most frightening away match I’ve ever attended.

I remember going to the replay at Highbury as I was living in Finchley at the time, seemed rude not to go.

I think Roger Wilde scored at Highbury and we were leading for a while but Liam Brady equalised I think. 
The head of PE at the school I worked in was an Arsenal season ticket holder, so it was great to give him grief for weeks on end while all the replays were happening😂

• Like 1

Was in the RAF at  Stanmore Park in north London at the time and went to all five games.  Got pushed the wrong way by the cops when leaving Highbury, I was parked the other way, and got jumped on the way back to the car.  Could run in those days so not too bad an outcome.  The atmosphere for all the games was fantastic, just a pity about the eventual outcome.

• Like 1

Bear in mind also that it wasn't just a tie and then four replays but three of the replays went into extra time, too.

I still reckon that we would have won the fourth replay had Mark Smith not got crocked by Stapleton (or was it Sunderland?)

I remember it well.

Went to all the replays too.  Even back then you knew we weren't going to do it but exciting times nonetheless!!!

They don't come along too often when you support the Owls.

On 06/01/2021 at 19:20, OWL1969 said:

I was 10 and was in the Lepp on the left hand side with my Dad. (We always went there in them days and I don't ever recall any away fans until this day).

Loved reading that pal. Don't know if we just looking through rose tinted glasses but it seemed a lot better then than now and we still weren't that good!

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old cynic!

• Like 1

Remember it well. Sat in the North. We matched them for most of the games. As others have said it really felt like the club had made a change after these ties. We felt that we could get back. The love for Big Jack was huge.

• Like 1