Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro, fired by Brum and fired by Wednesday.

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

It’s interesting though isn’t it - why do they, and yet they continue to get picked up again? Can’t think of another industry where this happens so predictably. 

I dunno mate - all senior managers or operations managers that have been pants and got sacked at places I've been at or known/experienced have all gone and got new jobs easily

Sometimes just having 'experience' of doing a certain job title means you'll get taken on elsewhere easily

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
6 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

My thinking was that a sacking is inevitable, success is not, but you can still have periods of things going well even if your tenure ultimately sours - see Carlos. You absolutely can list periods of success with pretty much any manager, but some will have a very short list.

So which seasons would we say Gary Monk has come out of a season saying he's had a good year as a manager? Which sides did he build that he can point to and say 'this is why you hire me, I can do this'?

This is it exactly.. he seemingly needs a good target man or he can’t pick up points.

I’d say Swansea in his first season he had a good year built of solid foundations made by others. Was always going to be like that when he’s 35 and it’s his first job though. 

Everywhere else he’s failed. Leeds you’d say he was on track first 35 games but ultimately didn’t do anything.

Boro didn’t get long enough to form a full judgement but Gibson is experienced and clearly didn’t like what he saw with him.

Birmingham is probably his kind of job.. nothing team, not going anywhere and had a decent target man. Par for the course really finishing mid table.

He’s was dire for us pretty much the whole way through apart from a half a dozen game spell just before Xmas last year which bumped us to third.

Tbh the thing that’s worse than his record is how he positions blame on to others to deflect from himself. Never once admitted he got anything wrong or made mistakes with decisions. Compare and contrast that to Pulis press conference. Before Monk came here I thought he was a steady championship manager but when you look at him more closely it’s clear he paints that picture himself and he’s actually chaotic 

Said it before, I think he’s a decent coach but not a manager. He doesn’t have the tactical skill set in games when it’s not working and I don’t think he’s that good a judge of players.

He’d be better off as a number 2 or on someone else’s staff. He deserved a chance but it didn’t work, everyone just needs to move on

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but Christmas happened...

Yeah I’d love to know the full story there. He messed up massively with that and having us within 12 points of the bottom 3 (from 3rd place). If his remit after the charge was to keep us out of trouble with it he underperformed 

Guest LondonOwl313
11 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Swansea City P77 W28 D17 L32 Win% 36.4

Leeds United P53 W25 D11 L17 Win% 47.2

Middlesbrough P26 W12 D5 L9 Win% 46.2

Birmingham City P59 W19 D20 L20 Win% 32.2

Sheffield WednesdayP58 W18 D15L25Win%31

Looking at his stats his only failure is with us I would say. Swansea were in the premier league and would've expected to lose more than they win. Did a solid job with Leeds who hadn't been anywhere near the top six for a long time and his record at boro wasn't so bad either. In fact I believe he was sacked after beating us before Christmas. 

He may need to take a step down to League one but I could imagine him doing well in his next job. Some big clubs down there may be willing to give him a chance. 

Think those stats include cup games because he only managed us for 40 games last season and 11 this in the league. Got 1 league cup against Everton last season and 3 FA cups against Brighton, QPR and Man City. Then Walsall, Rochdale and Fulham this season. So the win percentage is even lower because lots of early cup games are against lower league opposition 

He was only at Leeds a season so there has to be 7 cup games in there too

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

because they would’ve deducted last season and the entire summer would’ve been different 

If the points were deducted last season, we wouldn't have had any time to appeal, nor would the EFL.

Clearly the independent panel felt the EFL were trying to relegate us, so it's not hard to imagine a situation where if we'd have been deducted an amount which wouldn't see us relegated, the EFL would appeal in order to get a harsher sanction, thus tying the whole thing up in red tape and spilling into this season again.

By the time the EFL tried to pursue a punishment, the time scales were too tight to apply a sanction last season.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If the points were deducted last season, we wouldn't have had any time to appeal, nor would the EFL.

Clearly the independent panel felt the EFL were trying to relegate us, so it's not hard to imagine a situation where if we'd have been deducted an amount which wouldn't see us relegated, the EFL would appeal in order to get a harsher sanction, thus tying the whole thing up in red tape and spilling into this season again.

By the time the EFL tried to pursue a punishment, the time scales were too tight to apply a sanction last season.

The independent panel in their decision making took into account the fact it would’ve relegated us and didn’t see that as fair or appropriate, probably as we didn’t have aggravated breaches and misconduct was dropped. That’s the only way you get auto relegation.

But if we had been clearly 12 points or more clear when sentencing they would have been able to apply it last season without that concern and it would’ve been done and dusted. 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The independent panel in their decision making took into account the fact it would’ve relegated us and didn’t see that as fair or appropriate, probably as we didn’t have aggravated breaches and misconduct was dropped. That’s the only way you get auto relegation.

But if we had been clearly 12 points or more clear when sentencing they would have been able to apply it last season without that concern and it would’ve been done and dusted. 

The EFL could still have appealed, though.

As we saw, the appeal wasn't heard until this season, which would have led to a situation where we could have potentially started the season in the wrong division, leading to all sorts of legal wrangling.

With the timeframe they were handed, I don't think the panel could have applied a sanction last season due to the necessity of an appeals process.

The only thing a manager can be confident about is that one day he’ll be sacked. The fact that Monk has been sacked so many times is irrelevant.

The only relevant issue wrt Monk and sackings is that he didn’t get sacked from here soon enough!

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The EFL could still have appealed, though.

As we saw, the appeal wasn't heard until this season, which would have led to a situation where we could have potentially started the season in the wrong division, leading to all sorts of legal wrangling.

With the timeframe they were handed, I don't think the panel could have applied a sanction last season due to the necessity of an appeals process.

I could be wrong but I don’t think that was the reason stated for putting it forward. The EFL decided against appealing -12 even with it pushed to this season so if we’d had it applied last season as they expected they’d have probably been accepting of that, given it was more or less the maximum after the other charges had dropped. 

Whether appeal timescales was a consideration or not. Having us in mid table would’ve affected their thinking and options but a catastrophic winter from Monk and his squad nearly got us relegated. 

46 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The independent panel in their decision making took into account the fact it would’ve relegated us and didn’t see that as fair or appropriate, 

right i never realised they announced they didnt want to see us relegated .......i must have missed that 

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

right i never realised they announced they didnt want to see us relegated .......i must have missed that 

It said it in the written reasons that applying it at that point with us so close to the drop didn’t seem fair or give us chance to overcome it, having released players.