Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro, fired by Brum and fired by Wednesday.

Guest LondonOwl313
23 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I think the point the OP was trying to make is how many strikes do you get without success before being out out.

Most managers are given plenty of chances but when you've been sacked 4 times without any notable success the opportunities dry up at the same level.

Normally, I could see the likes of Derby sniffing around next but they would be mad to offer him an opportunity with his CV.

I can see him getting a gig at a league two or National League club next where he will need to strengthen his portfolio.

His ego is too big to go down to that level. Comes across as being in it for the money and the status. Certainly not for the winning. He wouldn’t be interested in taking a small club with no exposure on probs £50k a year. He’ll retire (or just slide off into obscurity) I think

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

His ego is too big to go down to that level. Comes across as being in it for the money and the status. Certainly not for the winning. He wouldn’t be interested in taking a small club with no exposure on probs £50k a year. He’ll retire (or just slide off into obscurity) I think

Which multi millionaires do you know that would work all those hours for 50k though?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Which multi millionaires do you know that would work all those hours for 50k though?

Well some managers are in it for the buzz and winning games. Can’t imagine Holloway is on much at Grimsby and he won’t need the money having been in the prem. Campbell, Scholes, Ince etc all managed lower league teams and I bet they have more money than the owners do. People just like to be involved in the game and the challenge.. not even about money. Monk comes across as the opposite of that 

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well some managers are in it for the buzz and winning games. Can’t imagine Holloway is on much at Grimsby and he won’t need the money having been in the prem. Campbell, Scholes, Ince etc all managed lower league teams and I bet they have more money than the owners do. People just like to be involved in the game and the challenge.. not even about money. Monk comes across as the opposite of that 

Holloway has equity in GTFC

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Holloway has equity in GTFC

Thats probably worth less than a salary would be. Wonder how much league 2 clubs sell for generally, bet its not much when they lose money every year and there's no pot of gold available like there is in the championship. Most owners will be in it because they're fans

40 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He got lucky with the job at Swansea which got him the jobs everywhere else.

Definitely. That seems to happen every now and then to managers.. I've always thought David Moyes was one like that. Never really rated him but did a good job a long time ago at Preston and Everton.

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

Monk will be back - he just needs to make sure, this time round, that he joins the right club at the right time

Nope, he needs to make sure he has Pep Clotet in his coaching staff.

Got laughed at earlier in the year for suggesting this but Monks management career doesn’t make pleasant reading when he doesn’t have Clotet with him.

Rgds

Pep.

Edited by Mcguigan

Mystic Neg emphasises the point that I was trying to make:

I hink the point the OP was trying to make is how many strikes do you get without success before being out out.

Sure, Managers lose their jobs.  You could count Arsene Wenger in that category but after 20 years in the job at Arsenal he had won countless Premier League titles and FA Cup trophies.

What alarmed me was the campaign on here to promote Monk when it was clear as day that he was clueless and totally out of his depth.

As others have pointed out Monk is only 41 but has ready had four short tenure jobs that have all ended up in the sack.

But he knows what a good dressing room looks like.

I would be shocked if Monk got another Championship job without doing L1 first. I imagine he will take some time off and resurface next year. We can just be glad that he’s no longer our manager, that’s all that matters to us. Feeling positive about TP now and wouldn’t be at all surprised if we went and beat Preston this weekend. It’ll be just like watching Brazil......

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

A lot of criticism was voiced by others when I pointed out last March pre-lockdown that Monk was fired by Swansea, fired by Boro and fired by Brum and should be fired by us..

That was fine because this Site is all about different opinions.

However I will be surprised if Monk is offered another Prem/Championhip job.

Is he cut out to manage at League 1/2 level?  Not convinced personally that he would cut it there.

He is the Emperor's Clothes.

giphy (1).gif

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah I see your point - fair

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Garry Monk is the new Karl Robinson for me.  He's that sort of level.

He started at a fairly successful club and that success faded.  Since then he's done nothing of note.  League one manager at most.

If you watch sky sports news there are lots of ex pros complaining about it being difficult to get an opportunity to manage. And a lot of them had much better playing careers than Monk.

So its not on the basis of his playing career or connections in the game that he gets jobs. As someone said earlier he got a lucky break at Swansea as they just needed someone to step in to end the season. After that he's a good self promotor.. can see that because the things he says about what happened at Wednesday are a stretch but said to paint himself as absolved of blame (e.g. we've just had a bad week, ignoring the 30 games prior. Or mentioning we were third for one game as if we'd been settled there). Someone who isn't close to the facts would probably swallow what he tells them