Garry Monk on Massimo Luongo

Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 09.34.59.jpg

GM “Mass has been excellent. One of our best performing players.

“He’s a great lad. He’s a quiet leader and, along with other players, I’ve asked him to be more vocal.

“The team as a whole has been challenged with this and in training we’ve seen the benefits.”

Owlstalk Shop

He is a good player but for me the balance of midfield at the moment is missing a proper leader on the pitch. Having both Bannan and Brown in a midfield 3, leaves us light weight.

I personally would be playing Brown off the striker in a false 10 role and having a new central midfield general in there - a Hutch type player who breaks up the play and give the ball to those that can do damage with it.

Others can agree or disagree but Bannan is not a captain or a leader. Your captain need to be someone you would run through walls for and for me we currently only have one of those in the team in Iorfa, but should he leave for a big fee, it would equally be a mistake to make him captain only to leave.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He is a good player but for me the balance of midfield at the moment is missing a proper leader on the pitch. Having both Bannan and Brown in a midfield 3, leaves us light weight.

I personally would be playing Brown off the striker in a false 10 role and having a new central midfield general in there - a Hutch type player who breaks up the play and give the ball to those that can do damage with it.

Others can agree or disagree but Bannan is not a captain or a leader. Your captain need to be someone you would run through walls for and for me we currently only have one of those in the team in Iorfa, but should he leave for a big fee, it would equally be a mistake to make him captain only to leave.

The midfield for me looks stronger and more balanced than for quite  awhile. If I do have qualms that as the game goes on Browns influence fades to some degree and Luongo can disappear in games.  Whether that's my misrepresentation or a fitness issue is up for debate.

As they play more together then hopefully they will get a better understanding.

To state the obvious a win on Saturday will improve the confidence levels.

Bannan is more than capable of been a decent captain if he jumps, he can see everything whats going off around him and he has the experience and knowledge to make a good go of it, I do wonder that  as a captain how much leeway they have to change tactics etc, during a game if they think they can make an improvement. 

• Like 1

Luongo in my opinion was one of our smartest recent signings. I expect him to have more of an influence as the season goes on, however his strongest part of his game is his box to box ability. To get the best out of Luongo, we'd have to sign another deep holding midfielder to free up the likes of Luongo, Bannan or Brown to have more of an influence further up the pitch. Luongo and Brown could get into the box more and chip in with goals, if we brought in someone to sit in front of the defence or if we reverted back to a back four. 

Decent player 

But part of 3 man midfield that would struggle to score goals on a regular basis 

If the strikers aren't scoring we need midfield to chip in 

And I can't see bannan, brown and mass getting 10 between them 

I fact when was last time we had a midfielder that chipped in with goals 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
15 hours ago, room0035 said:

Totally disagree. Mass can tackle as good as anyone. Look at his highlights in the first half against Bristol. Excellent balance. Also Brown as a number 10 would suck as he simply doesn’t score goals. Just leave things as they are. Much more important is the wing back area and strikers which needs addressing.

Guest mrbluesky
20 hours ago, DesWalker said:

Luongo is a very solid Championship midfielder.

One of the first names on the team sheet for me.  Huge concern if he gets injured, our options to replace him in the starting XI are very poor by comparison.  

Behave! Joey`s got this!!

Guest mrbluesky
5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Totally disagree. Mass can tackle as good as anyone. Look at his highlights in the first half against Bristol. Excellent balance. Also Brown as a number 10 would suck as he simply doesn’t score goals. Just leave things as they are. Much more important is the wing back area and strikers which needs addressing.

Yep, wingbacks are such an integral part of all 3 sectors of the pitch, midfielders have so much more freedom and time to move if the wingbacks are working as they should, it`s not clicking at the moment and for me they offer little support to our midfield, defensively ok, going forward, not so, Bannan puts some very solid tackles in and doesn`t give the opposition time on the ball, personally I`d leave midfield alone, best it`s looked in a long while.