Breaking news. SWFC v EFL

Guest Jack the Hat

1 hour ago, Animis said:

I think it's a bit more entrenched than that - on both sides.

I think it's correct that we hadn't highlighted the intention to sell the ground in the mid-season financial submission in Dec 18, because I don't think DC knew for sure he was going to do it at this point. I've long suspected the resignations of the two other Directors in Feb 19 was the point DC thought let's do it, and he ended going alone in terms of Director's responsibility/liability. No doubt the valuers, lawyers, accountants, and auditors were put on notice to push this through in three months and we gave notice of a delay in the 17/18 accounts to ensure this could happen.

It's all a bit shabby, and the disappointing part is that DC hasn't publicly acknowledged that we been painfully poor in our financial management, which put the club's league position at risk. The £38m cash injection over the next three years is only a price worth paying if we actually take advantage and invest it wisely in the playing staff. It's actually our own little parachute payment but we must use it properly.

Good points - though what I would say is that the 60m for the sale of the stadium will not be new money, it will be the same money he would ordinarily put in as shareholder loan just allocated differently

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Good points - though what I would say is that the 60m for the sale of the stadium will not be new money, it will be the same money he would ordinarily put in as shareholder loan just allocated differently

Nothing new about that. Exactly what McCabe did at the Blades, to get a buyer.

12 minutes ago, mkowl said:

True - but in the eyes of the EFL and the FFP rules, we can only lose £39m over 3-yrs irrespective of how much DC pumps in - even he has expressed frustration at this.

The £38m cash injection puts us in a + position before the accounts are calculated. 

41 minutes ago, striker said:

I think there is also a reasonable argument to suggest that if the EFL hadn't made such a balls up of signing off the accounts, delaying things, we could have taken steps to reduce the losses  by other means, therefore not incurring such a harsh penalty. 

We were led to believe that the stadium sale was agreed and therefore compliant, thus depriving us of opportunity to reduce costs in other areas to compensate, for example, accepting a player sale offer, not signing certain players or other cost cutting measures. 

For this reason, if we do appeal, think we have a strong case. 

I think We have more than a strong case mate !!  UTO 

• Like 1

From.Guardian tonight:

'In its findings, however, the panel found that Wednesday officials had backdated signatures on key documents regarding the sale of Hillsborough from the club to its owner, Dejphon Chansiri, including documents regarding the valuation of the deal itself. The changing of the dates meant that Wednesday passed P&S tests they would otherwise have failed.'

If so its understandable why we could have been found guilty. Although i guess our argument would be that intentions take precedent in accounting terms.

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

And they also won their appeal a few months ago against Birmingham winning the case with their second breach which could have seen them being relegated (are Charlton outraged by that as well or just us?) - yet didn't impose any further punishment so what was the point? 

The case they won an appeal against Birmingham wasn't for a second breach, it was for failing to adhere to an agreed business plan.

From Guardian tonight 

'In its findings, however, the panel found that Wednesday officials had backdated signatures on key documents regarding the sale of Hillsborough from the club to its owner, Dejphon Chansiri, including documents regarding the valuation of the deal itself. The changing of the dates meant that Wednesday passed P&S tests they would otherwise have failed.'

I guess our excuse would be that we intended to buy the ground and thd docs were adjusted to suit. Ok in accounting terms but seems flimsy. 

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

From.Guardian tonight:

If so its understandable why we could have been found guilty. Although i guess our argument would be that intentions take precedent in accounting terms.

Altering dates on consultants documents is potential fraud. A valuation has a specific valuation date that can't be change.

Unless DC made the decision to sell the ground to himself at the 11th hour; say in June, I just can't see professional consultants - both valuers and accounts would have gone along with date changes. Even then they wouldn't have gone along with this. Story doesn't add up.

7 minutes ago, prowl said:

If that was the case wouldn't they have proceeded with the individual cases against company officials. It should be an interesting day tomorrow.

The opposite it seems.

From same article 

..... the panel, arbitrating on the 12-point sanction levied on Sheffield Wednesday for breaching profit and sustainability rules(P&S), is critical of the EFL’s investigation into overspending at the Hillsborough club and the league’s decision to add a secondary charge of a breach of good faith, which was ultimately dismissed.

10 minutes ago, Nero said:

From Guardian tonight 

I guess our excuse would be that we intended to buy the ground and thd docs were adjusted to suit. Ok in accounting terms but seems flimsy. 

:Chansiri:

Amazing how we didnt get away with that one eh.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, vulva said:

Sorry, what was the agenda?

That they aimed to extend the timing of the charge and the extent of the sanction to ensure relegation in 2019 20 season.

I'd say thats an agenda. If true....

• Like 4