Cowleys

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Well done to the Cowleys. Top blokes and done what they set out to do. 

Can't be that different to Monk in terms of points gained since they took over. Unremarkable.

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can't be that different to Monk in terms of points gained since they took over. Unremarkable.

Identical. 

38 games, 12 wins, 11 draws, 15 losses. 47 points. 

We've scored 46 goals and conceded 53.

They've scored 44 goals and conceded 54 goals. 

So Monk edges it on GD. 

• Like 2

On 12/07/2020 at 09:32, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

I want Monk to be given more time. 

Regarding Jos, Irvine and also in the end Carlos I felt it was right to sever ties. Can't obviously speak for others.

Why is Monk any more likely to succeed than Jos was based on what we have seen?

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

Identical. 

So Monk edges it on GD. 

Interesting, again I would just go back to the whole culture of both clubs on and off the pitch, so I`d side with the Cowley`s 

30 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Identical. 

So Monk edges it on GD. 

And Huddersfield have a premier league invested squad of players, arguably better than the one Monk inherited. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Interesting, again I would just go back to the whole culture of both clubs on and off the pitch, so I`d side with the Cowley`s 

You could argue that Huddersfield haven't had a EFL charge hanging over them for the entirety of Cowley's reign. Nor have Huddersfield lost their leading goalscorer for the games after the restart (and for a significant period after Christmas).

There's a gnat breadth between both's record. I don't think you can claim there's evidence to suggest one would've done a better job than the other.

Both have been distinctly average, and both require time to imprint their philosophy's on their respective clubs.

I always think back to Hughton and Wagner's first six-eight month's at Brighton and Huddersfield. Both were unspectacular, but they were afforded time to get things how they wanted them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

You could argue that Huddersfield haven't had a EFL charge hanging over them for the entirety of Cowley's reign. Nor have Huddersfield lost their leading goalscorer for the games after the restart (and for a significant period after Christmas).

There's a gnat breadth between both's record. I don't think you can claim there's evidence to suggest one would've done a better job than the other.

Both have been distinctly average, and both require time to imprint their philosophy's on their respective clubs.

I always think back to Hughton and Wagner's first six-eight month's at Brighton and Huddersfield. Both were unspectacular, but they were afforded time to get things how they wanted them.

This is very true, and you can add Sean Dyche to that list.  He took over Burnley in an October and led them to about 13th or something.  

This is why there’s still a chance Monk can come good, as he will have a squad to build and a fresh start. With Chansiri staying we may as well keep some stability and hope Monk can learn from all his past experiences and find success at Wednesday 

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
7 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

But, only one one has a Chansiri in charge, defining factor for me.

29 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Hughton took over Brighton exactly halfway into a season when they were on the cusp of the relegation places. He kept them up and then took them to 3rd then 2nd. He had previously taken Birmingham to the play-offs, won this division with Newcastle and kept Norwich in the Premier League.

I don't see Monk's almost full season in charge here as a basis for being comparable with Hughton being give more time, his record suggests he is more comparable with Jos, who was given more time which proved to be a mistake.

44 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Since the restart despite a decimated squad we've looked significantly better IMO. The players look like they're all pulling together. The football by and large is better to watch IMO. I didn't see that with Jos. Jos also had a pre-season to prepare and recruit which Monk hasn't.

I take your point on the pre-season.

The football has been undoubtedly better since restart but as I said in another thread yesterday, the bar was that low it couldn't get any worse. We have still been pretty useless at home and have only taken 8 points from 7 games. Every team in the division have had their squads hit since restart, some worse than us and some with small squads and big off field problems have done better.

One thing with this league is that it's not unusual for teams to get promoted having finished mid-table or even lower mid-table the previous season. So (assuming a points deduction doesn't relegate us) I wouldn't rule anything out next season, whoever is in charge. I've also seen player togetherness since the lockdown; I've never felt they weren't trying. But the question is whether we'll have the quality,

I think Monk made the wrong call with regards to certain players at the wrong time and therefore we’re not in a position to soak up a potential points deduction that given our position at Christmas we should’ve been?

If he’s still manager here in 12 months time, I’d be amazed?

33 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I take your point on the pre-season.

The football has been undoubtedly better since restart but as I said in another thread yesterday, the bar was that low it couldn't get any worse. We have still been pretty useless at home and have only taken 8 points from 7 games. Every team in the division have had their squads hit since restart, some worse than us and some with small squads and big off field problems have done better.

Apart from maybe Hull and Possibly Charlton, no one has had they squads hit worse than us.

29 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Personally I don't think we've garnered the points we deserved since the restart. Just my opinion. I don't know about other squads but I know that ours is pretty threadbare now. Five senior players have left from an already pretty average squad (IMO) although looking forward I welcome this. 

The home firm is indeed a head scratcher especially goals scored when compared with away.

I see improved performances, apparent player togetherness and green shoots. You don't. I guess we'll have to agree to differ.

I said the performances have improved in the post you replied to!

However, we are 16th in the table in the games played since restart so hardly a new dawn. Teams with more average squads than our have come back in better form so this new found togetherness is hardly yielding great results.

As for not getting the points we have deserved, it could be argued we probably deserved to beat Forest but all the rest of the results have been pretty reflective of the games. Had we scored when on top in the first half against Swansea we would probably have got something but we were certainly 2nd best after the break and got punished for it, can't really complain at that. 

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

With Carlos he delivered for 2 seasons without question and even after 9 games before we played the pigs in season 3 we were just outside the play offs. That game seemed to knock us and then the injuries started. In the end I think it was 8 games without a win and he left.

so if Carlos can turn out 100 games of generally good results, then have a poor 10 games and deserve the sack, why does Monk deserve to stay after 4 wins in 21 given all he did before that was turn out 17 games of workmanlike football which got us some results

The situations are completely different. Monk walked in with a squad at the end of it's cycle with some big off the field issues and a fanbase disillusioned. He was overachieving to be 3rd at Christmas. 

Carlos arrived with a big budget to spend and a squad that had just let a load of players go and a fanbase upbeat. I say all that as a fan of Carlos as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Apart from maybe Hull and Possibly Charlton, no one has had they squads hit worse than us.

Have you got some official stats to back that up? We have lost a defender who played regularly in one of the worst performing defences in the league prior to lockdown in 2020, a striker who has been injured for most of 2020 and an attacker who the manager never picked anyway. 

Got any stats on all the other teams? Wigan have seemingly been purposely put into administration and had a very average squad for this level anyway, their manager has got a reaction from his team.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Have you got some official stats to back that up? We have lost a defender who played regularly in one of the worst performing defences in the league prior to lockdown in 2020, a striker who has been injured for most of 2020 and an attacker who the manager never picked anyway. 

Got any stats on all the other teams? Wigan have seemingly been purposely put into administration and had a very average squad for this level anyway, their manager has got a reaction from his team.

But did they have players refuse to play for them beyond the 30th like we did. Losing Fletcher and Fox was a big blow to us. Forestieri aswell to a degree.

The problem we have is the not knowing. Wigan knew they must get 13 points clear of relegation to survive. So they got on with it.

Ours players haven't got a clue if one win will do it. If we are already safe or already down as it was always going to be a 21 point deduction. Not many squads have had to cope with that level of uncertainty about their futures.