BAME Representation Within Football Coaching

With the ongoing BLM movement throughout the world, it got me thinking about BAME representation with the world of football. We all know that BAME representation drops significantly when players retire and, coaching careers begin the question is, why?

I haven’t found any recent study’s however, a study In 2012 found that there was only around 450 coaches of a BAME background qualified at UEFA B level up to and, including 2012. This represented Just 4.2% of the overall number of coaches qualified to that standard at the time. 

It made me question why this was the case? The majority of ex professionals should in theory, have the resources to pay for the course yet, they’re simply not taking the qualification. Is it a lack of interest? I don’t think so. It would be interesting to see if at any point in the past, the percentage of qualified coaches far outweighed the % in jobs within the precessional game. If this has never been the case then, the injustice is essentially a falsity in my opinion.

Jermaine Defoe recently suggested he wasn’t going to do his badges as there was no point, he wouldn’t be considered for a job anyway. It seems a lot of ex players have the same thought but, the numbers suggest the issue lies with participation rather than prejudice? That’s not to say that prejudice isn’t an issue, there has to be change in all aspects of the game to address the imbalance.

What I would say is, the number of senior officials within the game of a BAME background is shameful. Inclusivity at these levels is an absolute must. The fact that there’s such an imbalance definitely has a knock on effect within the coaching world. This is a gap that must be bridged. The Rooney rule is something that must be looked at. Whilst I don’t agree with the general principles of such a rule, it would give light at the end of the tunnel for would be coaches. Anything which can improve inclusivity within the game should surely be seen as a positive?

Edited by 0wl18

On 13/06/2020 at 20:07, 0wl18 said:

Jermaine Defoe recently suggested he wasn’t going to do his badges as there was no point, he wouldn’t be considered for a job anyway. It seems a lot of ex players have the same thought but, the numbers suggest the issue lies with participation rather than prejudice? That’s not to say that prejudice isn’t an issue, there has to be change in all aspects of the game to address the imbalance.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario from Defoe. How are BAME supposed to get more jobs if none of them take the courses?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gargoyle said:

Only 3% of this countries population are black.

Look from a different perspective, how over represented are black players in our league? 

The amount of managers/coaches in the league still outweighs the population percentage.

If racism existed surely we'd only have 3% ish black players in the league.

Or am I missing something?

(sensible only replies please)

BAME represents more than just the Black community. 

Players of a BAME background are genetically gifted, not all but, they’re far more likely to have fast twitch muscle fibres. They make better athletes. That’s the reason for ‘over representation’.

The issue lays in transition for playing to coaching. Why is there a significant drop from playing numbers to, managerial numbers? There’s the Defoe issue as I’ve mentioned however, I feel it’s important to understand why individuals such as Defoe feel that way?

Guest struckanerve
On 17/06/2020 at 21:35, 0wl18 said:

BAME represents more than just the Black community. 

Players of a BAME background are genetically gifted, not all but, they’re far more likely to have fast twitch muscle fibres. They make better athletes. That’s the reason for ‘over representation’.

Could well be true, of course that is a slippery slope, because you'll get people claiming other racial groups have other genetic gifts and it will divide us all even further. Still think the best course of action is focusing on judging people on their individual merits than splitting us into groups. 

8 hours ago, struckanerve said:

Could well be true, of course that is a slippery slope, because you'll get people claiming other racial groups have other genetic gifts and it will divide us all even further. Still think the best course of action is focusing on judging people on their individual merits than splitting us into groups. 

There’s nothing slippery about it. It’s a simple answer to a question raised earlier. I absolutely agree individuals should be judged on merit, this seems to be the case at player level. With an over representation of players from a BAME background in comparison the the census statistics.  

Why doesn’t this translate across to the managerial side of game? 

36 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

Its similar with the Asian community in football. Why do so few people form Pakistani, Bangladesh, Indian backgrounds make it into football?

I think it must be a cultural or religious thing.

Are they also under represented as fans too?

5 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Its similar with the Asian community in football. Why do so few people form Pakistani, Bangladesh, Indian backgrounds make it into football?

Coming from Bradford and having friends from a Pakistani background I feel I can offer a simple explanation.

Many are expected to fulfil an academic career and football is not a recognised sport as such within the Pakistani population hence why you find more guys from this background breaking into the cricket set up and into the Yorkshire/England team etc... 

Basically the parents/grandparents of my generation (30+) think football is a silly sport.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tea Baggins said:

Coming from Bradford and having friends from a Pakistani background I feel I can offer a simple explanation.

Many are expected to fulfil an academic career and football is not a recognised sport as such within the Pakistani population hence why you find more guys from this background breaking into the cricket set up and into the Yorkshire/England team etc... 

Basically the parents/grandparents of my generation (30+) think football is a silly sport.

Cricket is also a lot more accommodating to younger players who want to pursue studies alongside sport.

There is very little facility for that in football outside a nonsense BTEC they all have to do as part of their scholarship

On 19/06/2020 at 09:58, danblakemore said:

Because they don't attempt to as much as other ethnicities. They make it in cricket so shows that they aren't physically weaker etc.

The black coaches thing is well annoying, you can look at the percentage of black players today and say there isn't enough black coaches based on this since the rate of black players has been increasing of the years, for me

50-60s mass black emigration 

70s-80s the first generation of black players, kids of the immigrants

90s-00s the very few of the first generation are only just starting to retire not enough of them retiring to make an impact in coaching

Teens to present day-lots of black players, many of which have grandparents that were immigrants

If you had in 20 years the same amount of black coaches as now I would agree there is an issue but today it's just a numbers game.

On 17/06/2020 at 21:15, Gargoyle said:

Only 3% of this countries population are black.

Look from a different perspective, how over represented are black players in our league? 

The amount of managers/coaches in the league still outweighs the population percentage.

If racism existed surely we'd only have 3% ish black players in the league.

Or am I missing something?

(sensible only replies please)

Considering it's about 1 in 800 that make it to top level black players are mightily over represented. Just as they are in many sports, eg. Football, track and field, basketball, American football etc etc. Why? Because of their physical attributes like athleticism and strength.

I have no problem with that at all.

But why do people automatically assume the same should be said for management. Most people are not managers. It takes specific attributes that the majority of us don't necessarily have. The good ones in any sector are few and far between and for those there is a certain amount of natural ability, the rest is years of training courses. You have to really want to be a manager. I imagine many people do not want the hassle and stress.

• Like 1