Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

On 19/05/2020 at 12:37, @owlstalk said:

Wednesday made a fatal mistake when giving the managers job to Francis.

He was a Wednesday player, had an awful record in management, and didn't have the experience or skills to manage our club.

If we'd made the right decision at the time we could have been long time successes in the Premier League

Appointing Francis wasn't just a bad business decision, it was fatal for our ability to compete at the highest level.

God knows when we will actually recover from it

This from a man who worships Monk🤷‍♂️

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

This from a man who worships Monk🤷‍♂️

Shhh

Monk has a lot to deal with 

Been a 5h1t manager being one example 

• Love 4

43 minutes ago, vulva said:

Are people really moaning about a manager that got us to 3rd in the Premier League?

It appears so yet if Mark Bright hadn't shinned it from 2 yards out and Chris Woods had parried instead of fumbling trying to catch in the last minute he would have been a legend.

He might not have been a good man manager and he might have lost the plot at the end a bit but Dave Richards more than anyone helped a bit by David Pleat and Danny Wilson should take the brunt of the blame for relegation rather than TF

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vulva said:

Are people really moaning about a manager that got us to 3rd in the Premier League?

Thats like saying the driver was a good driver because you thought he was fantastic in the brand new Porsche when he sat in it, started it up and set off down the road

(About 12 minutes before careering off all over the place, hitting a milk float, and flying off the side of the road, into the ditch and writing it off.)

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

It appears so yet if Mark Bright hadn't shinned it from 2 yards out and Chris Woods had parried instead of fumbling trying to catch in the last minute he would have been a legend. 

Ooooooh do those kind of excuses work for Garry Monk during his time here too?

*makes note of it*

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*makes note of it*

They aren't excuses. I conceded he may not have been a good man manager and that he lost the plot at the end. I'm not even saying he has no blame in our demise. I'm saying that others bear more blame than him.

I would also give Monk the benefit of the doubt in many areas eg.in our last minute concession v QPR. If we had not been down to 10 men I'm pretty certain we could call it a great start to the season. I'm not calling it a great start as we don't have the points on the board which is another nuance to consider before any proclamations of greatness.

Making allowances for the shinner, the fumble and the 10 men are not making excuses they are nuances to be considered when analysing events.

If you are blaming TF solely for our demise you are missing these nuances eg Richards not retaining Ron Atkinson out of spite then taking an age to get Danny Wilson in and other fingers in the pie all of which have closer proximity to our relegation than TF who left 5 years before.

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thats like saying the driver was a good driver because you thought he was fantastic in the brand new Porsche when he sat in it, started it up and set off down the road

(About 12 minutes before careering off all over the place, hitting a milk float, and flying off the side of the road, into the ditch and writing it off.)

Your describing Monk again aren't you  you little scamp you.😀

On 19/05/2020 at 13:55, @owlstalk said:

A more experienced/bigger manager would have actually achieved the success you are talking about.

Fact.

Such small margins between success and failure are so fine. Notion that had we have had a better manager we would have got there if probably right. If Twatty Batty had not crunched one of our players in one of the last games of the season under creepy Pleat, we probably would have qualified for Europe and reinvested the rewards.

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

*makes note of it*

Monk has had a period of a few months where the side looked half decent if not uninspiring. Mirror that against the start of Bruce's tenure when there was a tangible lift. Difference between a good and average / poor manager.

On 19/05/2020 at 12:37, @owlstalk said:

Wednesday made a fatal mistake when giving the managers job to Francis.

He was a Wednesday player, had an awful record in management, and didn't have the experience or skills to manage our club.

If we'd made the right decision at the time we could have been long time successes in the Premier League

Appointing Francis wasn't just a bad business decision, it was fatal for our ability to compete at the highest level.

God knows when we will actually recover from it

Everyone has their opinion, but I presume you're younger than 40.  Wednesday were sensational!  Yes, he inherited a quality side, but signing Chris Waddle alone should be enough for anyone.  The football under Tricky Trev was superb; we were the most entertaining team in the country for a time.  I'm so pleased I was on the Kop throughout that period, even if it didn't end with a league title.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

*makes note of it*

But the poster is correct. If Bright scores that sitter we more than likely go on to win. As for Woods error, what more can I or anyone else say. It was such a fundamental error and such a relatively easy save to make. People knock Dawson, but for a so called international goal keeper to not parry that is shocking. A Sunday league keeper would have expected to save that header.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's definitely missing the point

We should have been pushing on to the top 5 not dropping to 13th and replacing quality with dross

Trevor Francis managing our first team was the equivalent of buying a porsche then driving it at 12 mph straight into a brick wall

Trev had that Porsche roaring on the Autobahn at 130 mph all the way to Kaiserslautern.

And then Dave Richards had a chat with David Pleat....

I can imagine Pleat saying, "Managing a Football team is like making love to a beautiful woman...." Or some other nonsensical waffle, in a tone of great knowledge of the game.

As for Trevor, we'll never know if he could have rebuilt a new team. I think by the time were buying Guy Whittingham and Andy Pearce the board have already sold him short financially. In fairness to the board they were developing the kop and the south stand probably around the same time.

I just don't understand the decision. Francis was well connected across Europe, Serie A, and the England setup, based on his signings. Plantini called him to take a look at Cantona.

And Dave Richards gets shut of Francis and opts for Del Boy Pleat from White Hart Lane. Pleat ends up telling Wednesday fans SWFC should be the Wimbledon of the North. Cowboys, the pair of them.

MV5BZGNmOTk0NzItMGNhYy00MWIyLTkzNGQtMWVjNzgyMmE3MDE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Just now, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Monk has had a period of a few months where the side looked half decent if not uninspiring. Mirror that against the start of Bruce's tenure when there was a tangible lift. Difference between a good and average / poor manager.

of course ....bruce is a good manager thats why he gets prem jobs ...monk is journeyman championship manager thats why we are his 4th club in this division .....

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's definitely missing the point

We should have been pushing on to the top 5 not dropping to 13th and replacing quality with dross

Trevor Francis managing our first team was the equivalent of buying a porsche then driving it at 12 mph straight into a brick wall

David Pleat's first game in charge at the wheel of the Porche...

Chris Waddle starts in centre mid at the base of a diamond in midfield.

garymegson

Waddle gets crucified that evening for not challenging Colleymore, who scores his first goal for Liverpool, on MOTD that evening. Diamonds?!?! Diamonds ?!?! It's football David...

I'm still angry about this 25 years later. Even Jos didn't try and play Foresteri at the base of a midfield diamond, not that Fernando had half the guile of Waddle.