Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

5 years after Dave Richards left Sheffield Wednesday were still in the financial mire

Should be excuse everything HE did too?

A chairman is slightly different to a manager though, come on.

Pleat got us to 7th and we had some great players after Francis and before Danny Wilson eg Di Canio, Carbone, Degryse. All bought by Pleat ( who I wasn’t a fan of)

Francis didn’t ruin us. Letting big Ron go 2nd time was a major factor. We got Wilson and his second season,  is the worst I’ve felt supporting Wednesday. We were so dire, towards the end of the season when Shreeves took over, there was a brief flicker but ultimately we went down. Absolutely in no way shape of form can that be attributed in any way to Francis.

For the record, I thought Francis went at the right time, but his first two seasons and the second half of his third, we played some brilliant stuff and had the best team we have had for many a year.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Francis won NOTHING as a manager 

He left the club in a mess 

Pressman - towards the end, strikers knew to just pass the ball down low to his left or right knowing if they did it would be a goal. 

Bullen - keep hating on him mate. Keep mocking. In years to come people will see the contribution he’s made. Winning captain, played in every single outfield position, coach, assistant manager, and stints as actual manager. The only thing he’s not done is physio. But keep mocking I don’t care!

Dont forget hes good at putting the cones out...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 19/05/2020 at 13:50, Great Big Galaa said:

It started to go downhill for Francis once he started signing the likes of Atherton, Nolan, Pearce and Coleman. Shocking players.

This.... Yes he had a couple of seasons but if you're being cynical you'd say he inherited that squad. When it came to him having to make changes to take the club forward with fresh faces he brought in sinton, Pearce, Atherton etc to replace the likes of waddle, Pearson and Bright... What a massive step backwards and the troubles begin. 

42 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

This.... Yes he had a couple of seasons but if you're being cynical you'd say he inherited that squad. When it came to him having to make changes to take the club forward with fresh faces he brought in sinton, Pearce, Atherton etc to replace the likes of waddle, Pearson and Bright... What a massive step backwards and the troubles begin. 

Sinton was brought to the club to play in the same team. Bright and Waddle we’re still at the club when Francis left.

Sinton was a bit of a flop, but it was a signing everybody was pleased with at the time. Pearce was pretty ordinary. As for Atherton. I think he gets some unfair flack on here. For most part he was a steady and reliable player for Wednesday, he certainly wasn’t a shocking player as another poster alluded.

bloke had 2 good seasons 1 ok one and 1 that was mediocre which is about par for the course before this club and fans  starts the process of getting rid of managers after a promotion to the top flight …. 

28 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Sinton was brought to the club to play in the same team. Bright and Waddle we’re still at the club when Francis left.

Sinton was a bit of a flop, but it was a signing everybody was pleased with at the time. Pearce was pretty ordinary. As for Atherton. I think he gets some unfair flack on here. For most part he was a steady and reliable player for Wednesday, he certainly wasn’t a shocking player as another poster alluded.

It was me who said he was shocking and you’ll never convince me otherwise. Summed up Atherton and Nolan when they both f***ed off to Bradford as soon as we went down and those two were a big reason why we did?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

5 years after Dave Richards left Sheffield Wednesday were still in the financial mire

Should be excuse everything HE did too?

Bit different that, do you actually believe everything you write? 

I hope you've been wearing a sun hat on your trips into the garden this week, wouldn't want the heat frying your brain any further.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bit different that, do you actually believe everything you write? 

I hope you've been wearing a sun hat on your trips into the garden this week, wouldn't want the heat frying your brain any further.

Let's stick to the topic and not turn things personal eh? x

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's stick to the topic and not turn things personal eh? x

Interesting you didn't follow that advice when you were calling others brainless last week.

Fine by me to stick to the topic though.

Can you not tell the difference between how a club is still feeling the effects of a chairman leaving them millions of pounds in debt 5 years later when compared with the effect a manager leaving 5 years earlier had? Especially when the manager that followed him managed a 7th place finish in the Premier League in his second season.

Dave Richards is primarily to blame for us getting relegated from the Premier League, not Trevor Francis. Richards got rid of Atkinson in 1998 out of spite, whether he would have done a good job as manager for us had he stayed at that time is debatable given he was coming to the end of his managerial career but the appointment of Wilson to replace him ended in disaster. His decision not to sack Wilson after our abysmal start to the 1999-2000, including an 8-0 defeat to a team that had not won at home for months and were level on points with us at the bottom of the league was a shocker. As were his lack of support for Di Canio, his backing of Wilson in getting rid of Carbone who was out top scorer the previous season and the only one who looked capable of doing anything of note at the start of the 99-2000 campaign.

Richards then jumped the sinking ship just a couple of months before our inevitable relegation to feather his own cap.

Francis had lost his way, lost the dressing room and had replaced aging players with inferior ones but far greater mistakes were made in the years that followed leading to our relegation.  

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Interesting you didn't follow that advice when you were calling others brainless last week.

Fine by me to stick to the topic though.

Can you not tell the difference between how a club is still feeling the effects of a chairman leaving them millions of pounds in debt 5 years later when compared with the effect a manager leaving 5 years earlier had? Especially when the manager that followed him managed a 7th place finish in the Premier League in his second season.

Dave Richards is primarily to blame for us getting relegated from the Premier League, not Trevor Francis. Richards got rid of Atkinson in 1998 out of spite, whether he would have done a good job as manager for us had he stayed at that time is debatable given he was coming to the end of his managerial career but the appointment of Wilson to replace him ended in disaster. His decision not to sack Wilson after our abysmal start to the 1999-2000, including an 8-0 defeat to a team that had not won at home for months and were level on points with us at the bottom of the league was a shocker. As were his lack of support for Di Canio, his backing of Wilson in getting rid of Carbone who was out top scorer the previous season and the only one who looked capable of doing anything of note at the start of the 99-2000 campaign.

Richards then jumped the sinking ship just a couple of months before our inevitable relegation to feather his own cap.

Francis had lost his way, lost the dressing room and had replaced aging players with inferior ones but far greater mistakes were made in the years that followed leading to our relegation.  

I don’t remember Wilson being regarded as a disastrous appointment at the time. He was seen as a good young up and coming manager who played good football and obviously he had a link to Wednesday. He’d done a great job getting Barnsley up. Survival in the PL was always going to be tricky.

So appointing him didn’t look that stupid and I don’t recall people kicking off about it. Clearly it didn’t work but appointing managers is the hardest thing for a chairman to get right. 

The trick is realising you've got it wrong and acting on it. That was the big failing. 

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 18.41.25.jpg

The look of a man who knows he just  ruined a football club

You can see it in his eyes

What would we pay for 13th in the Premier League now?

Take a look at Dave Richards, David Pleat, Paulo Di Canio, Benito Carbone and Danny Wilson before you look towards Tricky Trev for destroying Sheffield Wednesday.

Most successfull manager we've had without winning silver ware. Great football. Naive Board of Directors at the time.

He brought us Chris Waddle, Mark Bright and Des Walker, and for that he should have been given more credit than he was for our Premier League success.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.deadbe7b33ba8d6030e8ccc79cd8002e.jpgchris-waddle_celebration.thumb.jpg.32f1465c89b5cc14712e72752fa313d9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ozymandias Owl said:

What would we pay for 13th in the Premier League now? 

That's definitely missing the point

We should have been pushing on to the top 5 not dropping to 13th and replacing quality with dross

Trevor Francis managing our first team was the equivalent of buying a porsche then driving it at 12 mph straight into a brick wall

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Always remember Trickys Last match as Manager with sadness, it was common knowledge he'd be leaving and as the players did there  normal Lap of honour for the final game of the season, Trev just put his hand up to the crowd and walked down the tunnel he deserved far more from our board after doing an excellent job after Ron.

I agree things had gone a bit stale but personally I think a shake up was needed in the backroom staff and players and given him more time to sort things out. 

On 19/05/2020 at 12:20, @owlstalk said:

582C5911-89BF-4285-8C5B-04914F5D8AA3.jpeg

Article in the Yorkshire Post today where Trevor Francis speaks about being fired

Amongst the things he says is that he feels the Sheffield Wednesdsy directors were wrong to sack him, that he should have had more time to clear out the older players, and on David Pleat’s time after him “most of them were my players, it was a very poor season”

Full article here 👉 https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-never-recovered-1995-sacking-trevor-francis-2857365

I luv Trevor Francis me