Here's what Tom Lees thinks about upcoming squad changes..

Just now, room0035 said:

I agree good player but not a  captain too quiet and does not lead the same way a Hutch or Bannan or even Borner would for the team. 

.said this on numerous threads every manager hes played under as had him a skipper ….what do you see that gray,carlos, jos,bruce ,bully ,monk don't . ?

Just now, Ronio said:

I wouldn't call it nursing, more like put him next to a better defender and we will have a better defence.  

I cant argue with that can I ….. and if we get 2 better than we don't have to have him in the team at all …...

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Yet has been first choice with everyone of his managers here.

Not sure on the stats, but he isn't first choice any more if iorfa and borner are fit. He's had a calamitous season and he's been going in the wrong direction for a couple of seasons now. Weak and quiet, hides in games and doesn't want the ball played to him. It's a definite get rid for me, thanks for your service but time to leave. He's a bottom end championship player at best.

He's still a decent defender when he sticks to the basics. Win the headers, win the tackles and get it clear. The problem over the last season is we've asked him to be a ball playing centre half, which he isn't.  Coupled with the fact we can't string two passes together its putting more and more pressure on the defence to start the attacks.

Get the right manager in how knows how to set a team up and he's still worth a first team spot.

46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

.said this on numerous threads every manager hes played under as had him a skipper ….what do you see that gray,carlos, jos,bruce ,bully ,monk don't . ?

It probably says more about the lack of leaders in our squad than it does about Lees as a captain.

3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I won't join the sudden anti-Lees cult that is forming. He's served us well, and isn't shot at 29. Centre-half is a position where experience is very valuable. But, I don't like Lees & Börner paired together. Too slow. Easy to get them turned and slip passes between. For me, it's Iorfa plus either of them. 

Same same.  Iorfa/Borner for me, with Lees as back up...and a quality one at that.  Purely because Iorfa is better suited to the right hand side.

If Lees is happy with being 3rd (2nd?!) choice CB, then great.  If not, get him sold.  Could make a bit of money from him and he'd be a very good first teamer for most teams in the Champ.  

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

he's 30 year old and played over 400 games if he still needs nursing then its time to get rid …….

Agree. Been one of his biggest fans since his solid first season so really hope his form can return, all linked to confidence in my opinion, but at his age and with the experience he's built he shouldn't have to rely on someone more experienced to tell him what to do. 

13 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I won't join the sudden anti-Lees cult that is forming. He's served us well, and isn't shot at 29. Centre-half is a position where experience is very valuable. But, I don't like Lees & Börner paired together. Too slow. Easy to get them turned and slip passes between. For me, it's Iorfa plus either of them. 

Agree with this, pairings are so important, especially at centre back. Lees previously had an excellent partnership with Loovens, but is not a good fit with Borner, or with Iorfa for that matter, but for different reasons. Perhaps if we are looking for a young centre back to make up the group, we should be looking for one who is compatible with the ones we have

On 09/05/2020 at 20:47, torryowl said:

A captain has to be vocal on the pitch, I don't even know what Lees sounds like as I don't think he does speak, he needs to be able to lead others and as can be clearly seem the only leadership we have at the back is when Westwood was playing.

I captain should run through walls for the team and lead by example, for me Lees has not shown any of these qualities either.

He is the easy choice not the correct choice, most teams have a captain in centre defence or central midfield had Hutch had been playing week in week out he would have been the captain, but when Loovens left they gave it to the most senior player which was Lees.

Good captains also raise their own game when they are made captain, for me Lees has got worse since being made captain and for me it is time for a change. Borner, Bannan, Fletcher for me would all be better captain material that Lees.