Here's what Tom Lees thinks about upcoming squad changes..

Screenshot 2020-05-09 at 17.35.23.jpg

Tom Lees has been chatting to the Sheffield Star about upcoming changes in the playing squad at the club this summer

"Off the pitch you create strong bonds with people, they become your friends, not just your teammates. You do form close relationships with people, so it’s obviously sad [if they leave].

"But on the other side of it, you need to look at the fact that that team has had two or three opportunities to try and get up into the Premier League, so you can understand why change happens and new players come in.

"A lot of those players that have been here for three, four, five years have given a lot to the club and really tried to get them promoted.

"The last couple of seasons things have gotten a bit tricky and that squad started to disband. That happens in the cycles of teams; sometimes you have to start over again to build yourself back up and go again.

"It’s almost like a new cycle at Wednesday, and a new squad is going to have to be formed because we’ve got so many players that are out of contract.

"So I imagine it’ll be a big change in the summer - we’re going to have to bring in players or re-sign them to be part of whatever comes next."

Owlstalk Shop

Well hopefully Tom, whoever stays and whoever comes in you can hopefully form strong bonds with them to help Wednesday on the pitch...whilst maintaining a 2 metre distance of course 😀

• Haha 1

Guest wilyfox

I won't join the sudden anti-Lees cult that is forming. He's served us well, and isn't shot at 29. Centre-half is a position where experience is very valuable. But, I don't like Lees & Börner paired together. Too slow. Easy to get them turned and slip passes between. For me, it's Iorfa plus either of them. 

Worryingly, he keeps saying"we" 😞. Hopefully in a few months time he has to say "they". He's totally lost at centre half, gets turned way too easy, no pace, doesn't show a player the outside, positional sense awful and his passing, well let's not go there.

Overall, been a very good player for us as Tom Lees although he’s had some shocking games this season. Never a captain in a million years and don’t want him to see him captain again. He’s better with a natural leader next to him, like Loovens. 

Although right now, I would go with the iorfa and borner partnership next season. 

1 hour ago, Shifty Powers said:

Been brilliant for us, but another one who id let go. Looks leggy, lost all confidence and if I don’t see those floaty 40 yard, pointless, diagonal balls ever again I will be delighted. 

Iorfa and Borner should be first choice CB’s as it stands. 

Iorfa had some stinkers and Borner was just awful in his past 6-10 games.

Still reckon Iorfa-Lees is our best duo.

His comments in the article are nothing we don’t know.

He looked a potential premiership player 4 years ago. But sadly as opposed to improving, or even maintaining his form, he has gone backwards.

Too many times he get turned, has no pace to get back - but hasn’t learned from it. 
Lost his confidence under Carlos and then Jos ruined him. Who can forget that 2nd goal we conceded against Boro at home last season.

If we want to progress, he shouldn’t be in our starting 11.

1 hour ago, Shifty Powers said:

Been brilliant for us, but another one who id let go. Looks leggy, lost all confidence and if I don’t see those floaty 40 yard, pointless, diagonal balls ever again I will be delighted. 

Iorfa and Borner should be first choice CB’s as it stands. 

Agreed, but need to make sure we have the means and appetite to bring in a better replacement. Needs to be a real strategy to our dealings this summer and I cannot see the Monk-DC dream team coming up with the goods tbf.

45 minutes ago, james o connor said:

It’s funny how former hero Tom lees gets slated (his performances have been poor) but many want to offer keiran lee , who’s totally shot,  a new deal. Strange . Out of the two , only lees has any chance of rediscovering precious form 

The only way Lees will have any chance of re-discovering his form is if Glenn Loovens comes back.

When Lees has an experienced centre half next to him such as Loovens, Hector he looked solid when he is the experience partner with iorfa or Borner he looks lost.

he is solid championship standard centre back.

But he has a year left either resign to a longer deal, or sell but don't just let it run till end of next season.

or we lose him for nothing, but this does seem to be the Wednesday way under DC.

Edited by room0035

top player and obviously a good captain but awful since the Christmas meltdown ……. don't know his contract details but if he does have another year needs to get back his high standards asap …...

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

When Lees has an experienced centre half next to him such as Loovens, Hector he looked solid when he is the experience partner with iorfa or Borner he looks lost.

he is solid championship standard centre back.

But he has a year left either resign to a longer deal, or sell but don't just let it run till end of next season.

or we lose him for nothing, but this does seem to be the Wednesday way under DC.

He should be given a new contract imo.  

I know a fair few fans turned on him last season but still think he is a solid Championship defender.  

He does as said above need a solid experienced player next him though.  

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

top player and obviously a good captain but awful since the Christmas meltdown ……. don't know his contract details but if he does have another year needs to get back his high standards asap …...

I agree good player but not a  captain too quiet and does not lead the same way a Hutch or Bannan or even Borner would for the team. 

Just now, Ronio said:

He should be given a new contract imo.  

I know a fair few fans turned on him last season but still think he is a solid Championship defender.  

He does as said above need a solid experienced player next him though.  

he's 30 year old and played over 400 games if he still needs nursing then its time to get rid …….

1 hour ago, GLOwl said:

Worryingly, he keeps saying"we" 😞. Hopefully in a few months time he has to say "they". He's totally lost at centre half, gets turned way too easy, no pace, doesn't show a player the outside, positional sense awful and his passing, well let's not go there.

Yet has been first choice with everyone of his managers here.

Just now, torryowl said:

he's 30 year old and played over 400 games if he still needs nursing then its time to get rid …….

I wouldn't call it nursing, more like put him next to a better defender and we will have a better defence.