Garry Monk Sheffield Wednesday Manager

Gary Monk should have been booted out months ago. Complete and utter rubbish as manager,

Defensive tactics, lack of team motivation, ridiculous selections and substitutions.

What were those loan signings about? 

Thank god the season stopped when it did, got sick of being 0-3 down after 30 minutes.

Fortress Hillsborough became come-and-get your easiest walk-over of the season. 

Get rid of Monk before he brings further shame and failure to the Wednesday, but doubtless he will continue to be there demoralising us for another season worse than the final months of Carlos the clown and Jos the dross. 

I hope to be wrong in 5 years time when with his brilliant attacking football, astounding tactics, spot-on team selections and astute  substitutions,  a magical Monk has taken us back to our rightful place in the top half-dozen of the Premiership and chasing European glory...  Some hope!  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well we’ve just given Dawson a 4 year contract so the plan looks like it’s to make him long term number 1. And he’s never going to be on Westwood’s level so that’s one position where we’re regressing.

The other two maybe we do get some better players than them in the summer but are they going to be improvements on SH and FF. I doubt that.

Tbh I think the bigger issue here is the lack of investment from Chansiri after the first couple of years. He’s hid behind FFP a bit here but the reality is we need another summer 2015 in the transfer market and we should be able to do that now that the stadium sale is in the 3 year rolling period (assuming everything works out with the EFL) and we’ve cut costs over the last couple of seasons. But I can’t see him pumping that kind of money in again

I disagree with your point about Dawson. I think he is a player with significant potential, and if we show faith and allow him to gain match experience and develop, will easily surpass Westwood’s ability at his peak. Also, Westwood has gotten worse and worse every season for the last 3 years. I doubt Westwood will be the keeper you’re looking for come August.

Guest LondonOwl313
14 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

I disagree with your point about Dawson. I think he is a player with significant potential, and if we show faith and allow him to gain match experience and develop, will easily surpass Westwood’s ability at his peak. Also, Westwood has gotten worse and worse every season for the last 3 years. I doubt Westwood will be the keeper you’re looking for come August.

Well re Westwood, my instinct from watching was that his 2018-19 performances were up there with the best of his form since he’s been at the club. Someone posted some stats on that a while ago in one of the numerous Westwood vs Dawson threads which seemed to back that up. So I don’t agree with the ‘he’s been getting consistently worse for 3 years’ sentiment. Admittedly he was in poor form in 2019-20 before he was banished and deserved to be dropped.. we may or may not see him back in the team and we may or may not see him back on top form. 

Anyway, even if Westwood is done, I’m setting a high bar here in that I’m saying to progress we need to improve on the 2016 team which fell just short, assuming the objective is promotion. I’ve seen nothing in Dawson’s performances to suggest he’s going to hit the level of Westwood in his prime. The lad is nearly 25 and has played more than 50 games.. he’s not a newbie anymore and needs to perform.

So I’m basically saying that Dawson is worse than 2016 Westwood so that’s one position where we’ve moved backwards. It’s a high bar given he was widely regarded as one of the best keepers in the league at the time but it’s the mindset we need if we’re going to go up

I wanted Monk to be our version of Sean Dyche and have long term success with us but it doesn’t seem it will be that way judging by how things have gone since Christmas. 

It really depends on our plans and abilities financially as to what manager we need.

If we are going to let our experienced players go and focus on youth then someone like Ryan Lowe might be a good fit.  But I fully expect Monk to be with us next season 

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You could argue that he IS lucky to have the season postponed, but also that his primary aim has been to get through the season and into the summer so he can clear out all the bad eggs, dead wood, and problematic players that he (and those before him) inherited.

How do you get the best out of a squad that's infected with players undermining the club?

Did you know that Alex Ferguson sold Beckham the second he showed insolence towards him. Beckham swore at him after a defeat, so Ferguson booted a football boot in his face and sold him.

Ferguson's clear statement was that his own power has to come first over and above any players believing they're bigger than the club.

Something that our club's culture has had the exact opposite of for years now since Carlos let it all slide.

The players currently run this football club. That's not good, and Monk (like Luhukay before him) is doing his best to reverse that slide and sort it out.

Those same players that got to the play offs two season running? 

Two things stand out in this thread:

Every where he’s been he has started well, then things fall apart. That to me says, as soon as he gets to excerpt  his influence, or bring in his own players things go wrong.

The only reason anyone has given, in six pages, to keep him is, we can’t keep changing managers. Well by that argument we would have kept Jo’s, Irvine, pleat etc etc. And we would now be where chesterfield are.

If a manager is failing, and no one can say monk isn’t, then he has to go.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Two things stand out in this thread:

Every where he’s been he has started well, then things fall apart. That to me says, as soon as he gets to excerpt  his influence, or bring in his own players things go wrong.

The only reason anyone has given, in six pages, to keep him is, we can’t keep changing managers. Well by that argument we would have kept Jo’s, Irvine, pleat etc etc. And we would now be where chesterfield are.

Would you play Westwood and Hutchinson etc?

Owlstalk Shop

Brilliant summary re Monk by Plonk in my view:

"Every where he’s been he has started well, then things fall apart. That to me says, as soon as he gets to excerpt  his influence, or bring in his own players things go wrong. The only reason anyone has given, in six pages, to keep him is, we can’t keep changing managers. Well by that argument we would have kept Jo’s, Irvine, pleat etc etc. And we would now be where chesterfield are.

If a manager is failing, and no one can say monk isn’t, then he has to go."

I personally am sick of Monk apologists saying that he has had problem players to deal with.  Well, that is the same at all clubs, these are footballers we are talkng about.

Some will remember the mercurial and highly talented Stan Bowles at QPR who were then in the top tier.  Bowles did not like to attend training and the only way the manager could get him to training was to tour the local betting shops in Shepherds Bush and haul him back to the training ground. But he sure could play!

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Garry Monk SWFC.jpg

Now you've had time to calm down and reflect what are your thoughts on Garry Monk?

Is he the right man for the job?

Do you believe in his vision of replacing the stale squad with hungrier, younger players and getting problem disruptive players out of the club?

Are you happy to back him over the coming seasons?

Yes, Yes and Yes.

12 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

So what was his stats?

Swansea

Didn't go down under him

Leeds 

Over achieved at start then they fell back to probably were they should have been.

Boro

There were in a far better shape under Monk thank they are now.

Brum 

Comfortable mid table I seem to remember which for there budget and players they had is good.

Rowett when he was there massively over achieved and still got sack.

Us

Look to pre season posts after Bruce had left to see what peoples thoughts where on our season and then see if you can be as critical.

Personally I think he's slightly underachieving now but nobody gave us any hope if going up before he took over so why should we be up there?

The problem with the above is, whos to say they wouldn't have gone down if they hadn't got rid of him ?? That is my worry. Everywhere else he has been sacked before they dropped.... here he hasn't been and I cant see him turning this round.

They key here is ROWETT. He would have been a much better choice as manager. Over achieved at Burton, Birmingham and did well at Derby.... ok Stoke didn't go so well but that was a bit of a poisoned chalice. Also plays an attacking style of football which is what we need.

12 hours ago, Tommycraign10others said:

I have to say I find this continual talk of Monk out extremely disloyal.  Fans need to remember he had no pre season has no coaching  staff of his own and only I e window. As I have said earlier Bruce reckoned it would take at least 3 to turn round and I seem to recall Monk saying something similar. In fact the general view on here was that he should be given time.

I know things have not been good since Christmas but anyone who has been involved in management of any kind knows you need confidantes.  As much a part of the scene Bullen is I reckon he is too close to the players to be considered for this role.

Garry Monk needs a clean start, some players out, his own coaching team and then he can be judged.

One final point. If Garry Monk was to go who would replace him. It certainly wouldn’t be a big name or anyone who has won anything as some seem to think we would attract. 

The only reason anyone has given, in six pages, to keep him is, we can’t keep changing managers. Well by that argument we would have kept Jos, Irvine, pleat etc etc. And we would now be where chesterfield are.

This was posted above and is the reason why he cant have a clean slate etc. I agree with you with regards to Bullen tho. As to who would come in, someone who plays an attacking possession based style of football that could get the best out of our players with quality/game changers like Bannan and Forestieri.