Tom Lees - A Captain’s View

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

We have a team of mainly free transfers cast off by other clubs.

our goalies are youth players or in the case of Westwood a reserve. 
the defence is iorfa and fox, a couple of hundred grand each, plus youth teamers and the freebies lees and borner.

further forward we have bannan, plucked from the palace b team for free, hutch who we effectively rescued from retirement for free, Harris who is a Cardiff reserve for free, supporting Nuhiu, a freebie and the only two players we actually really paid for in reach and Winnall.

we are a team of cheap, reserve players. They can want it however much they like, if they aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough.

That’s a damming indictment right there 

Funnily enough, he's one of the few players I can recall digging his teammates out when we lost to Brighton a few years back.

Made some remark about big teams not doing what we had done (lost against ten men).

Different team back then though. We were one of the best sides in the division. Now we are ok. 

Feels now like he reflects those expectations. Just lost 5-0 to Blackburn and it is one of those things. 

Jesus wept, the moaning on here.

Since when was the captain of a football team supposed to be some kind of media personality? I can understand why the manager has to front up to the press and speak well, but what do you expect from a footballer? To those who expect more personality, do you expect him to be cracking jokes and laughing after a 5-0 defeat?

To those who want to makes myths out of these legendary players from the past. How do you think they would have fared in this modern age when press conferences are posted in large chunks and the players have to answer these inane questions every week? 

Lees is fronting up after a 5-0 defeat. Lets take a look at a couple of his predecessors:

Here's a feel-good (and edited) BBC puff-piece about Mick Lyons returning to Everton. Obviously more cheerful than the Lees interview. He seems more tongue-tied and bashful than Lees if anything. E.g:

Question: Can you remember what the highlights [of that career at Everton] were?

Lyons: Erm... Yes, none. Er, no, I think I was there for 14 years. Er, we, er, got beat in a couple of semi-finals of the cup and we got beat in one League Cup Final, after two replays. Er....

Great player. Seems like a lovely bloke - but just like Lees, hardly a Churchillian rousing oratory performance is it?

And here is Big Nige. Remember for this interview he is here as a 50 year-old man, post media-training and at least 10 years of doing these types of press conferences:

"Is your head in the sand? Are you flexible enough to get your head in the sand? My suspicion would be no. I can, you can't. You can't."

Yes, this press conference is much more amusing than the Lees one. But he sounds also completely unhinged. It's the pointless bullying, the stupid grandstanding and the weirdly boastful part where he seems genuinely proud that he can stretch his own head into the sand.

So, who can blame Lees for phoning in a mundane press conference?

• Thanks 1

He's a great pro, been very consistent for us even in the crazy situation of having no real competition for his place until this season. That said, he just doesn't come across as the guy who's going to lead the troops into battle. Accepted, there's more to the captaincy than that but I think it goes some way to explaining our mental frailties. 

16 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

you are playing down some very technically gifted players, what they cost is irrelevant in many cases. look across the city for how far hard work and commitment and desire gets you. as much as i hate the oinkers they are a perfect example of how important desire is. reversing your quote, without desire, talent is pointless 

Exactly, we had a perfect example recently departed to reading. 

Joao had everything in his locker to play regularly in the prem.... 

Well everything eexept desire, attitude and bravery. 

It's OK watching someone ambling aimlessly around doing flicks n tricks on occasions when involved, but not very effective. 

People go on about how we chamge this mentality, we need to ship out half this side and bring in some pearson's & booth's. Not brilliant technical or exiting flyers but with the mental attitude to drag others through games and raise commitment levels. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Jesus

Give him a break 

When he’s been in the side this year he’s been decent

I don't think anyone's knocking him as a consummate professional a fantastic role model for the younger players and a good club servant while he's been here. 

It can't be coincidence that so many people just don't see him as a proper leader that has it in him to take us forward as a captain. 

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I don't think anyone's knocking him as a consummate professional a fantastic role model for the younger players and a good club servant while he's been here. 

It can't be coincidence that so many people just don't see him as a proper leader that has it in him to take us forward as a captain. 

Monk does and that’s all that counts at the moment 

13 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I’m sure it was said that his English is actually quite poor. You do a actually need good language skills to be captain nowadays because of all the stuff they do off the pitch.

I guess you could have a club captain and a field captain though.

Any captain would be an improvement.