Tom Lees - A Captain’s View

8 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

was talking to a leeds fan yesterday about us having players that just don't look like they have that absolute will to want success. you can see when players want it and will get it at any cost, you can see it and hear it when a player really wants it. 

Not sure we have many players like that, we are a very comfy club to play for where players can come and not have a massive demand of success. The sad part is I'm not sure how we overcome that, at least short medium term.

Probably not the best fan base to talk with re perennial bottling it.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We have a team of mainly free transfers cast off by other clubs.

our goalies are youth players or in the case of Westwood a reserve. 
the defence is iorfa and fox, a couple of hundred grand each, plus youth teamers and the freebies lees and borner.

further forward we have bannan, plucked from the palace b team for free, hutch who we effectively rescued from retirement for free, Harris who is a Cardiff reserve for free, supporting Nuhiu, a freebie and the only two players we actually really paid for in reach and Winnall.

we are a team of cheap, reserve players. They can want it however much they like, if they aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough.

Really? :Chansiri:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Helps I’d they can speak the effin language though! FFS!

Borner speaks very good English - English is taught in all German school it is only the Uk that thinks foreign language is an alien requirement. 

I have never heard anything that he cannot speak the language and personally actions speak louder than any words. 

2 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

There are different ways to lead. You don't have to be a loud mouth/ life and soul

True.

I struggle to see many others who are up to the task.

What we know about Lees is he's a top pro and has been a good servant.

Whether that's enough to be captain is up for debate, but I prefer him to shouty Bannan.

6 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I like what Lees says, but he says it like he's been dragged to the front during assembly and made to show his stamp collection to the whole school

"And here's mi penny black, it's not a real one, but mi dad says when I grow up I can get one then, this one is my favo",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by daleblue

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

Borner speaks very good English - English is taught in all German school it is only the Uk that thinks foreign language is an alien requirement. 

I have never heard anything that he cannot speak the language and personally actions speak louder than any words. 

But is his English as good as Steve McLaren's Dutch?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, room0035 said:

I’m sure it was said that his English is actually quite poor. You do a actually need good language skills to be captain nowadays because of all the stuff they do off the pitch.

I guess you could have a club captain and a field captain though.

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

We have a team of mainly free transfers cast off by other clubs.

our goalies are youth players or in the case of Westwood a reserve. 
the defence is iorfa and fox, a couple of hundred grand each, plus youth teamers and the freebies lees and borner.

further forward we have bannan, plucked from the palace b team for free, hutch who we effectively rescued from retirement for free, Harris who is a Cardiff reserve for free, supporting Nuhiu, a freebie and the only two players we actually really paid for in reach and Winnall.

we are a team of cheap, reserve players. They can want it however much they like, if they aren’t good enough they aren’t good enough.

Said it all season we are very much over achieving. When you look at the players who start most weeks they are all free transfers or cheap deals. 

The irony is the money we have spent was wasted on players who are actually worse than those who cost nowt. It’s crazy.

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Lees should never be captain. Seems nothing like a leader imo. Been a good servant for the club though. 

He's only a leader by example off the pitch as far as I gather, the way he trains and conducts himself professionally. A club captain perhaps, but on the pitch you need leaders as well whether they are captain or not.

The guys always been a proper pro and conducted himself well in all the time he’s been at the club. When given the right partner to play alongside he’s been excellent. He’s had a lot of changes defensively to have to cope with in his time and often he’s suffered because of it. It’s fashionable on here to diss a player as soon as he’s struggling. I don’t think he’s a captain and I don’t think it suits him but please can we not use it as an excuse to get on his case and totally disrespect him