Ritchie Humphreys

15 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Pretty sure he did as I think it was Pleat that tried it. Might be wrong though.

From memory, it was Paul Jewell that played him LB.

Wasn't it initially during the 1st game after relegation, after Pressman's sending off?

Vaguely remember we had a young LB on the bench. Nichols or Nicholson or something like that? 

He never got a chance and moved to a lower league side. Seem to remember him saying Jewell ruined his confidence in training, telling him he was rubbish and wouldn't make it. 

I'm waffling now as all these bad memories flood back.

back!

:sad:

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Completely agree. Think one of his first public comments on getting the job was basically how we had been overachieving and needed to lower expectations.

Should have been sacked on the spot.

Prior to the season after which Francis has been sacked we had won the league cup, then finished 3rd, then 7th two seasons in a row and had got to 2 cup finals and a semi final. We had some of the best players in the country. Sounds like lowering expectations was a means to justifying why he wasn't capable of maintaining that level.

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

Certainly at the end of the month when we were top - he seemed totally surprised and “down played” the performances and the players attributes. It appeared he was waiting to fail.

It still erks me how we lost that game at Arsenal - from memory we were much the better team and again, from memory, Walker was unlucky to be sent off.

We were certainly dominant in that first half. Missed some very good chances. Think it was the day they announced Wenger (he didn’t start for a few weeks). 

I remember Ian Wright yanking Blinker by his dreadlocks and everyone thinking it was hilarious - playing it on montages etc. Thought it was pretty out of order myself!

7 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Very briefly top of the league after those first four games.  

When Carbone and Di Canio were on top of their game, they were unstoppable.  Loved watching us during that time.  

All went downhill after the Di Canio incident.  

Carbone and Di Canio were a joy to watch too, along with Pressman and Walker's heroics. I also briefly liked Degryse during his one season spell. But by then we didn't have much of a team left on their level and it gradually faded away in the late 90s, despite the odd thrilling victories against some of the top teams. But during the early 90s we had a whole team of top quality class players of international class and for me that's as good as it's ever been during my lifetime and during my time following Wednesday.

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

He didn’t believe in the players enough.

think he did his own players but the likes of hirst,waddle,sheridan who he binned not so much. getting rid of 3 of the fans favourites was always going to get him grief …….

10 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I was Pleat that signed Patrick Blondeau - wasn’t he a LB?

To be fair he came with a great CV - but was disastrous for us. He got sent off at home against Derby and we lost 0-5.

I thought he was a right-back but to be honest from the few games he played for us it was impossible to tell what position he was meant to be playing in.

It was 2-5 against Derby, might have been Hirst's last game as he had a touchline spat with Carbone.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

He was deployed similarly against Zola in a 2-2 draw. Remember Zola being asked about it and saying ‘I prefer my wife’.

I wonder who his wife preferred. :ph34r:

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, alanharper said:

That Leicester win that made it 4 wins from 4 put us 5 points clear at the top of the Premier League (temporarily, because it was played a day before the rest of the league played their round of games that midweek). We then only won 2 of the next 16 league games - the most Wednesday thing ever. 

in the interests of balance I think we then went on a run of 2 defeats in the next 16 or 17 I think? We had only lost 6 games all season until the last couple of weeks then in true wednesday way again we got hammered at blackburn then somewhere else then messed up our chance of Europe.

3 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

in the interests of balance I think we then went on a run of 2 defeats in the next 16 or 17 I think? We had only lost 6 games all season until the last couple of weeks then in true wednesday way again we got hammered at blackburn then somewhere else then messed up our chance of Europe.

4-1 at Blackburn then conceded 5 at West Ham.

6 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

I took my lad to the training ground after the 7-1 (?) defeat at Blackburn. Carbone scored a cracker for us.

Peter Atherton made a fuss of him - he said the game at Blackburn was “frightening”, when asked why we had lost by my son.

He was a nice lad Atherton.

Edited by ReadingOwl