Ritchie Humphreys

Just now, torryowl said:

yeah its like those that said jos ruined penney's confidence  by moving him from role to role ….he ruined him that much that penney jumped at the chance to go play for him again  at st pauli …….

exactly - Humphreys had a great career - played 600+ Professional games - about 70

at Wednesday - rest in lower leagues.....

but it’s pleats fault he wasn’t the new van basten for playing him left back twice - give us a break.

2 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Mate Dave was friends with him and we went for a run with him in before we joined the Army. This was just before he broke into the first team at the start of the season. Lasted about half a mile. He wasn’t much of an athlete to say we were all roughly the same age.:duntmatter:

Think I know Dave, drives a white van?

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

IIRC Ritchie Humphreys was a big Blades fan which was always brought up when he had a bad game but conveniently forgotten when he scored those 2 crackers v Villa and Leicester.

Did he play against us for Hartlepool in the play off final? I cant remember.

We’ve had a few, Carl Bradshaw and Roger Wylde spring to mind

Looked amazing for the first four games of 96/97, got an England under-21 cap then pretty much disappeared.

I remember Pleat playing him further and further back saying he’ll ‘grow’ into the striker position; whatever that means for a guy who was top scorer in the premier league for the first games.

2 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Looked amazing for the first four games of 96/97, got an England under-21 cap then pretty much disappeared.

I remember Pleat playing him further and further back saying he’ll ‘grow’ into the striker position; whatever that means for a guy who was top scorer in the premier league for the first games.

Yes Humphries had a purple patch when he first got into the side upfront but basically he wasn't good enough to be a Premier league player never mind forward.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Yes Humphries had a purple patch when he first got into the side upfront but basically he wasn't good enough to be a Premier league player never mind forward.

After that burst of 3 goals in 4 games, he only ever scored 1 more league goal for us in the 4 years before he moved on. Scored a few more in the cups though albeit largely in second string teams against lower opposition, although he did get the winner at Bradford in the FA Cup 5th round. 

I think the moral is, if a youngster has a bright start to his Wednesday career, cash in the chips asap! 

21 hours ago, The Batman said:

From memory, it was Paul Jewell that played him LB.

Wasn't it initially during the 1st game after relegation, after Pressman's sending off?

Vaguely remember we had a young LB on the bench. Nichols or Nicholson or something like that? 

He never got a chance and moved to a lower league side. Seem to remember him saying Jewell ruined his confidence in training, telling him he was rubbish and wouldn't make it. 

I'm waffling now as all these bad memories flood back.

back!

:sad:

hmm, you might be right!

21 hours ago, ka58 said:

I was at both those games and don’t remember that but if you’re right, and I’m not saying you aren’t, it’s still hardly busting his career by playing him there for a couple of games.

i just think sometimes the Rose tinted glasses come out - “we had a starlet and pleat ruined him” - pleat put him in the team and gave him a chance.

I didn’t rate pleat much by the way. 

Give it up.

You were wrong and now don't want to admit it.

I know, let's play Bannan on the right wing and Fletcher at left back next game, see what happens.

Muppet.

Humphreys was played consistently at left back, and anyone who consistently watched games back then knows it.    Maybe you watched less football than you remember.

Edited by Salmonbones

31 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Give it up.

You were wrong and now don't want to admit it.

I know, let's play Bannan on the right wing and Fletcher at left back next game, see what happens.

Muppet.

Humphreys was played consistently at left back, and anyone who consistently watched games back then knows it.    Maybe you watched less football than you remember.

David Pleat did not consistently play Humphreys at left-back as you suggested. One person has said he might have played the final 2 games of the 96-97 in that position, hardly career defining if this was the case.

In 1 of those games he got subbed off for Scott Oakes after an hour which either meant a complete change of shape with the game at 0-0 against Liverpool or Oakes playing at left back????

Edited by Guest

On 06/01/2020 at 21:05, ka58 said:

he only went to left back when he had been out of the team forever and we were on the bones of our backside.

he was never gonna be a striker at a decent level which is why he spent most of his career at Hartlepool.

superb 3 game spell - never did much after that.

I have a feeling that Carbone was signed and he never got the chance to build on the superb goals in partnership with Booth which he scored at the season’s beginning and van Basten was reported to have praised him highly. 

12 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Wasn’t  Carbone signed, followed by di Canio?

On 06/01/2020 at 18:26, torryowl said:

yeah its like those that said jos ruined penney's confidence  by moving him from role to role ….he ruined him that much that penney jumped at the chance to go play for him again  at st pauli …….

It's almost as if posters on Owlstalk have no idea what they're talking about...

lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s almost like being a bit of an unknown, and playing with no pressure and fear gives a young player the opportunity to play at a level which is far above what they are able to sustain in the mid-long term.

Once the pressure builds, opposites understand their game better and they are asked to sustain that performance as a minimum the cracks soon appear.

Humphreys an obvious case, Sanetti another one for us, I think you can put Penney in there too. 

But it’s not just us. It happens everywhere Remember Federico Macheda?

This was kind of my point in the Urhoghide thread...and his performance wasn’t actually anything special.