Ritchie Humphreys

3 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I took my lad to the training ground after the 7-1 (?) defeat at Blackburn. Car one scored a cracker for us.

Peter Atherton made a fuss of him - he said the game at Blackburn was “frightening”, when asked why we had lost by my son.

He was a nice lad Atherton.

The 7-2 was at the start of the 97-98 season. At the end of 96-97 they beat us 4-1,Andy Booth was injured or suspended and sat in the away end. It was on the same night of the FA Cup semi-final replay at Hillsborough between Chesterfield and Middlesbrough.

19 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I took my lad to the training ground after the 7-1 (?) defeat at Blackburn. Carbone scored a cracker for us.

Peter Atherton made a fuss of him - he said the game at Blackburn was “frightening”, when asked why we had lost by my son.

He was a nice lad Atherton.

Yeah I meet him outside the ground a few times too. One of those players who was decent with a proper partner and gave his all but looking back we needed better.  Did he move from RB to CB?

Just now, new zealand owl said:

Yeah I meet him outside the ground a few times too. One of those players who was decent with a proper partner and gave his all but looking back we needed better.  Did he move from RB to CB?

He was called a “utility” player. Played everywhere IIRC.

A good Club player. 

2 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

that's the one! The Kitson and Hartson show wasnt it?

Loved the last game against liverpool though- packed Hillsborough, sunny day and a dramatic game!

Yep, reyt kick in the teeth as West Ham were near the relegation zone at the time.

Even that Liverpool game ended disappointingly, did Booth go in goal when Matt Clarke got sent off and had to pick Redknapp's free-kick out of the back of the net for his first touch with the gloves on?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, reyt kick in the teeth as West Ham were near the relegation zone at the time.

Even that Liverpool game ended disappointingly, did Booth go in goal when Matt Clarke got sent off and had to pick Redknapp's free-kick out of the back of the net for his first touch with the gloves on?

Yep. He did save one (from Owen?) with his face though!

4 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Atherton was a solid pro but it was always going to be too much of an ask when he replaced Nilsson at right-back. 

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

He was a cracking player. Would have been the best striker in World football, Van Basten said so, but Pleat ruined him.

Pleat dropped him when the lad was at the peak of his form as a Carbone type of player, he then lost his confidence, got pissed about by Pleat having to play as a defender, and never regained the form he would’ve continued with had he remained up front.

At least he never wore beige slip on shoes like Pleat though, nor skipped about in them on the pitch like a fairy, like Pleat did.

ps - I wasn’t much of a David Pleat fan.

sorry mate but that isn’t true. Pleat never played humphries as a defender.

he also gave him his chance up front in the first team.

50 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Very briefly top of the league after those first four games.  

When Carbone and Di Canio were on top of their game, they were unstoppable.  Loved watching us during that time.  

All went downhill after the Di Canio incident.  

di canio wasn’t at the club that season. He signed the following year.

carbone wasn’t there when we were top of the league either - he signed in October ish.

49 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

I was Pleat that signed Patrick Blondeau - wasn’t he a LB?

To be fair he came with a great CV - but was disastrous for us. He got sent off at home against Derby and we lost 0-5.

blondeau was a right back but was disastrous despite being a french international.

42 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

in the interests of balance I think we then went on a run of 2 defeats in the next 16 or 17 I think? We had only lost 6 games all season until the last couple of weeks then in true wednesday way again we got hammered at blackburn then somewhere else then messed up our chance of Europe.

We were excellent if not pretty that season. We were 5th at Easter - Only needed 6 points from last 4 games for Europe and got 1 or 2. Shame.

13 minutes ago, ka58 said:

sorry mate but that isn’t true. Pleat never played humphries as a defender.

he also gave him his chance up front in the first team.

I was going to pull him on that but he's right Humphreys  played left back against Leicester and Liverpool in the final 2 games of the season …...

Just now, torryowl said:

I was going to pull him on that but he's right Humphreys  played left back against Leicester and Liverpool in the final 2 games of the season …...

I was at both those games and don’t remember that but if you’re right, and I’m not saying you aren’t, it’s still hardly busting his career by playing him there for a couple of games.

i just think sometimes the Rose tinted glasses come out - “we had a starlet and pleat ruined him” - pleat put him in the team and gave him a chance.

I didn’t rate pleat much by the way. 

4 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I was at both those games and don’t remember that but if you’re right, and I’m not saying you aren’t, it’s still hardly busting his career by playing him there for a couple of games.

i just think sometimes the Rose tinted glasses come out - “we had a starlet and pleat ruined him” - pleat put him in the team and gave him a chance.

I didn’t rate pleat much by the way. 

yeah its like those that said jos ruined penney's confidence  by moving him from role to role ….he ruined him that much that penney jumped at the chance to go play for him again  at st pauli …….

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

What position was Ian Nolan playing in those games then?