Tactical cockup

1 minute ago, TINKERBELL said:

No way should nuhiu get another contract, he needs to go with a few others and replaced with better 

Monk,sort your game management out as the amount of late goals we keep conceding is ridiculous. 

I wouldn't miss him. Tries hard but we will never be promoted if he continues to get game time.

5 bad games for every 1 good one.

Unfair to single him out today though. They all let the travelling fans down big style.

I've criticized Monk a few times for his ponderous delaying of subs and general game management but I can't really grumble at Monk today.

Sometimes it's the players on the pitch.

Nuhiu was poor from start to finish (but has been poor for about a month now), as was Rhodes (but then again I have no expectations of Rhodes outside the 6 yard box), Iorfa had a 'mare by the standards he's set himself, and we were all too easily over-run in midfield.

Even the ref seemed to be doing his best for us with some of the decisions.

Bad day at the office, but it's the players that should really be taking the brunt of the criticism today.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

It was consistent with the rest of his game. He mistimed EVERYTHING.

I got negged in the match day thread for saying after 25 mins that he should be taken off for Börner (and Rhodes for Winnall)

Him and Palmer turned in 1 out of 10 performances today. The 1 point is for lacing up their boots.

Can you take it back off them as they seemingly put their boots on the wrong feet!

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

I've criticized Monk a few times for his ponderous delaying of subs and general game management but I can't really grumble at Monk today.

Sometimes it's the players on the pitch.

Nuhiu was poor from start to finish (but has been poor for about a month now), as was Rhodes (but then again I have no expectations of Rhodes outside the 6 yard box), Iorfa had a 'mare by the standards he's set himself, and we were all too easily over-run in midfield.

Even the ref seemed to be doing his best for us with some of the decisions.

Bad day at the office, but it's the players that should really be taking the brunt of the criticism today.

Iorfa should have been taken out of the firing line in the first half

Changes should have been made at half time but only got made after the lucky penalty decision.

Iorfa and Palmer should never have completed 90 minutes 

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Changes should have been made at half time but only got made after the lucky penalty decision.

Can't really argue with that but unfortunately Rhodes & Nuhiu didn't deserve 90 minutes either and you can only make 3 subs.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Can't really argue with that but unfortunately Rhodes & Nuhiu didn't deserve 90 minutes either and you can only make 3 subs.

After Bristol I would have thought it obvious to Monk that a Nuhiu and Rhodes front line has nowhere near enough energy or mobility...but I wanted to keep this to subs and not selections 

• Like 1

Having watched that the biggest tactical error was starting two big lads up front against Shawcross and Baath.

Anyone there would have bit your hand off for a point at HT we were that poor and predictable.

We only started to play when we didn’t send it aimlessly to big Dave every time. What a surprise that we got 2 goals with both Rhodes and Nuhiu off the pitch?!

Winnall looked twice as good as them when he came on. He actually chased and harried their centre halves and made them uncomfortable with his pace (or greater pace than the other two).

Sad ending having gone through every possible emotion in 97 minutes!

Edited by GMOwl72

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

After Bristol I would have thought it obvious to Monk that a Nuhiu and Rhodes front line has nowhere near enough energy or mobility...but I wanted to keep this to subs and not selections 

Fair enough but having selected the team he did he could have hooked at least 4 of them by half-time. If Fletcher has got something as bad as man flu I would still consider starting him next game.

Just now, McRightSide said:

Ideally no, but we wouldn't even have got ourselves back into the game at all if two of our subs would've been in defensive positions. Change one of them maybe, and if so then perhaps Palmer off and shift Iorfa to right back, bringing Börner on to partner Lees.

It's hard to vouch for Iorfa's performance today. With Palmer we've seen it plenty of times, but though Iorfa's close control is generally not a strong point, he tends to be comfortable enough and certainly very commanding and deliberate in his clearing of the lines.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair enough but having selected the team he did he could have hooked at least 4 of them by half-time. If Fletcher has got something as bad as man flu I would still consider starting him next game.

I think he had to have Nuhiu in there against Stoke...no other option without Fletcher.

Winnall is significantly better in the air than Rhodes, much tougher and much more scrappy.

So that’s your front two.

Iorfa goes to pieces and can’t get out of it. So be brave and get him off early and get Cement Hips alongside Lees...no real need for pace in behind and Börner never loses a fight.

Final change could be one of Murphy, Lee or Hutch who are all decent players to introduce to the fold

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

Ideally no, but we wouldn't even have got ourselves back into the game at all if two of our subs would've been in defensive positions. Change one of them maybe, and if so then perhaps Palmer off and shift Iorfa to right back, bringing Börner on to partner Lees.

It's hard to vouch for Iorfa's performance today. With Palmer we've seen it plenty of times, but though Iorfa's close control is generally not a strong point, he tends to be comfortable enough and certainly very commanding and deliberate in his clearing of the lines.

I didn’t say they both had to be changed, I said at least one of them should have been

26 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Squad needs a overhaul and some class and strength brought in.

Not sure we'll get the overhaul we need anytime soon, we appear to be too sentimental, keeping players that have failed time and time again. We're going to keep getting the same result doing so. 

So frustrating.