Take stock after 11 games

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

We are a top half team with a shot of sneaking into the top 6. 

Our strongest first XI is pretty decent and could give anyone a game, but conversely they are more than capable of losing to anyone at this level too. 

There is an opportunity there this season, but I have my doubts as to whether we are capable (physically and mentally) of dealing with a quick turnaround of fixtures. 

Yep agree with that.

Some iffy teams have made the top six (flippin eck one of them, Huddersfield went up!).

We are better than iffy and with a bit of luck we can make it in.

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

You always want better but looking at goals for and against to say we are weak in midfield and attack is clearly wrong .

It's not clearly wrong, that's just your opinion. Our attack lacks pace, to say it doesn't is wrong in my opinion.

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, torryowl said:

Well if we are so weak why do we score si many goals 

Well in your opinion, if we are not weak in defence, midfield or attack, then we've got nothing to worry about. We'll all be happy and have nothing to discuss.

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

Well in your opinion, if we are not weak in defence, midfield or attack, then we've got nothing to worry about. We'll all be happy and have nothing to discuss.

So you can't tell me why we score so many goals with such a supposedly weak attack.....

2 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

I mean it’s still possible for us to get promoted despite losing 4 games. Last season we only lost 3 games between February and May. So if we do the same this season and only lose 3 games between Oct and Jan then there’s no reason why we can’t be in the top 6. People are acting like losing 4 games means we can’t get enough points to go up, but we’re only 4 off the top which isn’t too far away 

No, I agree, its just extremely frustrating that when we are in positions to move into the top 6 and build a bit of a barrier to the teams below we never seem to take it, then we slowly start slipping behind the top runners.

I remember around this time last season when we were 4th in the table mid way through a match a place above Utd but we then started drawing or losing a few games and slipped down.

*If* we had beaten Hull we would be comfortably top 4 now even if we win saturday we may not be top 6 - frustrating!

I do however still cling onto the hope that we will finish top 6, especially if Monk can bring a goalscorer in.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

We wernt  lucky to draw against Fulham,it was well deserved and would have been a travesty if we had lost .

I wouldn’t call it a travesty at all - we were also lucky to get an opportunity to score in the 94th minute.

either way whether it was luck or not - we drew and my remaining point stands - we’ve only beaten 2 newly promoted teams and two struggling teams. We’ve lost all of the other games save for a home draw with Fulham.

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

So you can't tell me why we score so many goals with such a supposedly weak attack.....

I can tell you that without Fletcher our attack is pretty weak. I don't think Winnall, Nuihu or Rhodes would contribute enough goals and we need pace in this area. We may have scored goals this season but you have to take into account the quality of the opposition. Can you sincerely tell me that you think our midfield and striking areas are strong enough.

But none of this discussion is taking account of the 12-point deduction and hard embargo we likely get after the League completes the review of the stadium sale and tells us we are 30 million pounds off of our P&S bench marks for the past 3 years, with an enhanced punishment for doing this with Fernando Forestieri on the payroll.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, LittleG said:

I can tell you that without Fletcher our attack is pretty weak. I don't think Winnall, Nuihu or Rhodes would contribute enough goals and we need pace in this area. We may have scored goals this season but you have to take into account the quality of the opposition. Can you sincerely tell me that you think our midfield and striking areas are strong enough.

All I'm saying is that we arnt weak as was suggested  ...

30 minutes ago, ka58 said:

I wouldn’t call it a travesty at all - we were also lucky to get an opportunity to score in the 94th minute.

either way whether it was luck or not - we drew and my remaining point stands - we’ve only beaten 2 newly promoted teams and two struggling teams. We’ve lost all of the other games save for a home draw with Fulham.

I'm not arguing about the other games I'm saying we wernt lucky to draw with  fulham... .. 

Guest LittleG
6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

All I'm saying is that we arnt weak as was suggested  ...

We'll have to beg to differ on that one. If we lose Fletch in particular  our striking options are pretty weak; I think most people can see that.  

16 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Preston yes, but Millwall have won 1 of their other 9 games. Hardly the invincibles. Hull and QPR were awful performances.

It always makes me smile when people (not you) say ‘the table doesn’t lie’ and then in the very next sentence say that we haven’t had an easy start

QPR, yeah that was awful, but it was a side that clearly needed direction and Bullen couldn't provide it. Hull wasn't that bad, if we'd have taken our chances we created we'd have won the game.

End of the day it all comes back to expectations. From a personal point of view I didn't expect anything other than bouncing around 7th to 12th. If we get top 6 with this squad then Monk should get manager of the year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

I'm not arguing about the other games I'm saying we wernt lucky to draw with  fulham... .. 

Were we unlucky not to win? I don’t think so.

i don’t know why you’re trying to defend it. 

The majority of those losses were under Lee bullen- so maybe monk will fix it - but I doubt it because of the players we have. Particularly up front.

There we go!!

P11. W6. D1. L4. Pts19 

Equates to 76 pts with two games left at end of season

One point off 6th

Three points off top

Bear in mind we have played 5 homes and 6 aways.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

There we go!!

P11. W6. D1. L4. Pts19 

Equates to 76 pts with two games left at end of season

One point off 6th

Three points off top

Bear in mind we have played 5 homes and 6 aways.

Tougher challenges to come, but you’d hope we have improvements to come too. Great to be well in the mix, but as I posted in another thread it’s Tight at the top! Plenty will fall away and a few go strong but at present 3pts split 1st to 9th. 

BC539BEB-A2EB-4B7C-AF4B-5161E92CCE3C.thumb.jpeg.66ae8d2011ba8bae0324e7bd392d098c.jpeg

Look where our six wins have come from. Not wanting to be negative and happy with current points tally but we have so far beaten six of the bottom seven teams.

We will need to improve over the next few weeks if we are to maintain a challenge. 

3 points of top spot not bad, if we are 3 points off top when the next international break comes round we will be in 2nd - we play 3 of the current top 6 in the next 6 we will see if we are play off contenders or not.

In the next two weeks let's get a few friendlies in to get Lees, lee, fessi match fit and ready for Colin.