Liam Palmer

Called up to the Scotland squad again. Congrats Liam. No place for Steven Fletcher amongst the forwards however.

James Forrest, Ryan Fraser, Steven Naismith, Matt Phillips, Johnny Russell and Oli McBacon from the Lane get the call for the forward spaces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, edinburghowl said:

Called up to the Scotland squad again. Congrats Liam.

Delighted for him. He deserves it. 

No place for Steven Fletcher amongst the forwards however...

Image result for hallelujah gif

No offence to my porridge loving chums, but we need Fletcher fit as a butchers dog if we're to have any chance of a decent season.

At 32 the less jetting about getting kicked the better!

• Haha 1

Good re: Fletch, as long as he’s not too fussed. (Been making noises about hanging up the international boots anyway.) Too important to us as things stand, and playing consistently well. Needless injury risk sending him out for Scots squad games, selfishly happy he’s not going. Congrats to Liam too.

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Against Russia and Belgium hopefully they can keep the scores down to single figures. 

I’ll be disappointed with anything other than 3 points against the Russians at Hampden. Belgium at home is a free hit, if we get anything out of that game it’s a bonus.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Glad Fletcher hasn't been called up, but Naismith ahead of him? He's cack nowadays.

Naismith has been in really good form when fit. Hearts top scorer last season and POTY. If there’s anyone in that squad that you should be complaining about being in front of Fletcher it’s Phillips.

14 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I’ll be disappointed with anything other than 3 points against the Russians at Hampden. Belgium at home is a free hit, if we get anything out of that game it’s a bonus.

I'm sorry but this is part of the problem the Scottish side has had for a while now; what on earth makes you think anything less than 3 points against Russia is a disappointment? They were unlucky to go out in the quarter finals of the world cup, to eventual finalists Croatia, and will have no fear going to Hampden.

I want Scotland to do well, but fans expectations seem to be well above what those players are capable of.

1 hour ago, Owl.1867 said:

I'm sorry but this is part of the problem the Scottish side has had for a while now; what on earth makes you think anything less than 3 points against Russia is a disappointment? They were unlucky to go out in the quarter finals of the world cup, to eventual finalists Croatia, and will have no fear going to Hampden.

I want Scotland to do well, but fans expectations seem to be well above what those players are capable of.

I don’t think it is an unrealistic expectation to win a home qualifier where we realistically have to if we want to finish top 2 in the group. No other result will do and the players are capable of getting that result and the bookmakers are offering similar odds for both teams to win.

Yes the Russians got to a quarter final (in a home tournament) but they have lost 3 of their last 4 football matches away from home and our record at Hampden in competitive fixtures is actually very strong. 

We’ve only lost 5 times in the last 14 years in home qualifiers, 4 of those against top quality opposition. We rarely lose to teams like Russia at home. The defeats were a 2-3 loss to at the time world champions Germany, 0-1 to at the time world champions Spain, 1-2 to at the time world champions Italy, 0-2 against a superior Belgian side, and a disappointing 1-2 loss to the Welsh. 

I’m sure they won’t have any fear, and yes they’ve probably beaten better sides than Scotland, but equally we shouldn’t have any fear either. We’ve got results against much better teams than Russia in recent campaigns. Why shouldn’t we be optimistic?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Scotland fan and a wednesday fan and you still have loads of optimism.......good for you mate :duntmatter:

Edited by mozzy85
  • Thanks 1