Premier League 2019/20

On 28/04/2020 at 14:30, southportdc said:

Suggestions on Twitter CL and EL qualification will soon be decided on 'previous European competition performance' rather than league position.

Not sure how new clubs qualify in this scenario. 

It's called UEFA co-efficient. It's based on the previous 5 seasons I believe. Countries also generate points which determine qualification places for each league. SUFC would miss out and I'd expect this format to be used. It will ensure the 'big' clubs are in Europe next year.

The club coefficient is either the sum of the points earned by the club in the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League over the previous five seasons or 20% of the club's association coefficient over the same period, whichever is the higher.[30] Prior to the 2018 club rankings, teams received the sum of their points earned over the last five seasons plus 20% of the club's association coefficient.[31][32]

The clubs receive two points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for a defeat in games of the main stages of the Champions League and the Europa League. Results determined after extra-time are included in this method, however results determined after penalty shoot-outs are not (the result is considered a draw). Bonus points for entering the Europa League group stage are not additional to win/draw points; they provide a minimum points allowance for participating clubs, whereas bonus points for entering the Champions League group stage (and those for qualifying to the knockout stage) are additional to win/draw points.

Qualifying round results are only taken into account if the team is eliminated in one of the rounds (see table below). Otherwise, the qualifying round results are taken into account only for the calculation of the association's coefficient and are halved.[31] The clubs do not receive any points for elimination in the Champions League qualifying because those teams move to the Europa League and receive points from participation in that competition.[32]

1 hour ago, NorfolkNChance said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52500593

Sounds straightforward and easily doable......not.

Gary Neville now suggests they fly all the PL clubs to a Coronavirus free environment to finish the season.. can’t work out if he’s being serious.

i think there are 3 Pacific islands that have remained virus free, and I doubt Antarctica has the playing surfaces to accommodate 20 PL clubs...

They are so desperately embarrassing. 
26,000 dead and all they can think about is the integrity of a football competition. 
It makes me sick to the gut 

It’s a farce tbh. Imagine a big six pointer relegation battle , looking forward to running out in front of your own fans who can help get you over the line and you run out at......

Twickenham or St George’s or as you say some bloody Pacific island! 

38 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Gary Neville now suggests they fly all the PL clubs to a Coronavirus free environment to finish the season.. can’t work out if he’s being serious.

i think there are 3 Pacific islands that have remained virus free, and I doubt Antarctica has the playing surfaces to accommodate 20 PL clubs...

They are so desperately embarrassing. 
26,000 dead and all they can think about is the integrity of a football competition. 
It makes me sick to the gut 

I doubt the Pacific Islands would welcome hundreds of footballers from UK any time soon, if the did they might want em in quarantine for a couple of weeks. 

15 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I doubt the Pacific Islands would welcome hundreds of footballers from UK any time soon, if the did they might want em in quarantine for a couple of weeks. 

Exactly but those are the only places in the world that are free of it.

Either he wasn’t being serious or he’s as thick as 

Neville has been one of the most scathing critics of the PL and their handling of this

I think there was a healthy dose of sarcasm in what he said - and also outlined the utter impracticality's of restarting this season 

On 29/04/2020 at 11:53, NorfolkNChance said:

For integrity reasons the seasons has to finish on the same basis and rule format with that it started

- VAR 

- 3 subs not 5 subs 

- all 38 games played 
- only positions mathematically secured are final 

Anything else other than that and it’s null and void and that’s the realisation that other leagues are coming to, except it seems the PL.

Not forgetting the Germans, Italians and Spanish. 

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Cologne have 3 players tested positive and now in isolation. I think the rest of the squad are still in training.

Any close contacts of players over here would have to self isolate for 14 days - that is likely to be an entire club shut for a minimum of 2 weeks

24 minutes ago, scram said:

Any close contacts of players over here would have to self isolate for 14 days - that is likely to be an entire club shut for a minimum of 2 weeks

If the players are being tested every 3 or 4 days as they are in Germany and their currently training individually or in small groups then perhaps the whole club doesn't need to be closed down. Will be interesting to see what happens over there in the coming days and weeks particularly with Cologne and how they deal with this.

3 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

If the players are being tested every 3 or 4 days as they are in Germany and their currently training individually or in small groups then perhaps the whole club doesn't need to be closed down. Will be interesting to see what happens over there in the coming days and weeks particularly with Cologne and how they deal with this.

All close contacts have to self isolate for 14 days

That is the govt rule and the PL rule

Germany may have different rules to us so their example is not relevant

Because nobody will take ownership of the decisions

PL wants to continue but don't want to be held accountable for any adverse events

Nobody else wants to be held accountable and don't see why they should take the fall for the PL rushing through a plan to end the season in such a rush

39 minutes ago, scram said:

Because nobody will take ownership of the decisions

That's because they aren't their decisions to make really. No matter how much clout they think they have, or how much money is at stake, they do as the government tells them. So they can't shift before 7th May at the very earliest.

It's as silly as UEFA trying to impose rules across the board, when every individual country has different problems with the virus.