Premier League 2019/20

I think the PL is on the verge of going its own way to finish the season and cut the EFL adrift

Still lots of issues to resolve but they are just out for the PL now - forget this "football family" bullshit

Everyman for himself basically - he who pays the piper and all that....

Edited by scram
  • Like 1

Not sure if I want them to void the season or call the PL early and end relegation.

Obviously the latter way means Liverpool are declared champions, but it would actually be quite funny if after 30 years their victory happens in a behind closed doors meeting and with no prospect of a parade to celebrate. Doesn't get much more hollow. There's a fair chance if the league is voided they'll just walk next season instead.

And of course, the scenario where the year is counted but there's no PL relegation leaves open the tantalising prospect Leeds are declared Championship champions but not promoted. 

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

Not sure if I want them to void the season or call the PL early and end relegation.

Obviously the latter way means Liverpool are declared champions, but it would actually be quite funny if after 30 years their victory happens in a behind closed doors meeting and with no prospect of a parade to celebrate. Doesn't get much more hollow. There's a fair chance if the league is voided they'll just walk next season instead.

And of course, the scenario where the year is counted but there's no PL relegation leaves open the tantalising prospect Leeds are declared Championship champions but not promoted. 

I suspect the powers that be are petrified of legal challenges. I remember someone on here ridiculed for suggesting they might promote but not relegate - the more I think of it the more I think they might. 

17 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I suspect the powers that be are petrified of legal challenges. I remember someone on here ridiculed for suggesting they might promote but not relegate - the more I think of it the more I think they might. 

Automatics and all teams in playoffs or in with a mathematical chance of play offs get promoted then yea? 

37 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

How many teams get promoted?

all the teams in the promotion positions

plus the ones who have a chance to get in the promotion positions

plus the ones who can get into the playoffs

it is impossible to say who could get promoted, so some teams that miss out could mount a legal challenge, how can you decide, on the balance of probabilities, who would go up, in a sport like football

if football was that easy to predict we would all be millionaires, and the bookies wouldn't take bets on football

It would be the same if the PL/EFL tried to pursue this season beyond players contract expiry date

What if a club in a great or perilous position had its squad decimated by contract expiry?

How can it even be remotely logical to try to claim that it would all be part of the same season?

There are so many contractual anomalies over and above player contracts - such as kit deals, corporate deals, shirt sponsorship, stadium sponsorship etc  

I think it highly disingenuous to claim the current season can be concluded after June 30th

And the chances of it finishing prior to then happening are vanishing by the day

Edited by scram

Thing is, you can void this season, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to start next season's in August...in fact, that seems highly unlikely. 

Best case scenario is they manage to complete the season, but I think far too many people are not appreciating the logistical nightmare such a thing would entail. 

All it takes is a few players or staff to fall ill and that could see multiple teams unable to compete for weeks. 

Also - I think the idea of all four professional divisions finishing behind closed doors is pure fantasy tbh. That is unless of you course you accept that next season is likely to start late, be truncated or not happen at all. 

The Prem might be able to do finish their season, perhaps even the Championship at a push, but I struggle to see all three of the EFL divisions being able to complete this season. 

3 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

FIFA to allow 5 substitutes when leagues return, to help squads with fixture congestion.

Immediately meaning the last games of the campaign aren't being played under the same conditions and compromising the integrity of the leagues. Cracking start

9 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Immediately meaning the last games of the campaign aren't being played under the same conditions and compromising the integrity of the leagues. Cracking start

Just another hairbrained scheme to grab the cash. Embarrassing from football on this country yet again.