Tony Strudwick Interview

Really interesting stuff this.

It will be a revelation if Strudwick can get anywhere near a full season out of the likes of Forestieri, Lee, Hutchinson, Winnall, Fletcher, & even Westwood who have all been plagued by or seem to be playing on through injury.

Right now I have doubts that a differently structured pre season will make much difference to that little lot.

There is the further problem that the embargo means we are likely to sign more players late in the transfer window who have not had the benefit of the Strudwick pre season.

There was a very good article a number of years ago about the level of preparation at Southampton, it might even have been when pochettino was there. On an away trip a support team how's to the hotel the team will stay at and take an individual mattress for each player specifically tailored for their needs. They then use an industrial vacuum to clean the entire room and seal it off until the squad arrive. Before each days training each player undergoes a series of tests and completes a questionnaire around sleep the previous night, how fresh they feel etc. If the data and answers show issues the player doesn't train. They have a number of pitches specified to the dimensions of different prem league grounds and even soil types and grass mixes and train on the matching pitch to their upcoming away game. The pitch that mirrors Arsenal even is the same desso combination as the emirates pitch.

3 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

There was a very good article a number of years ago about the level of preparation at Southampton, it might even have been when pochettino was there. On an away trip a support team how's to the hotel the team will stay at and take an individual mattress for each player specifically tailored for their needs. They then use an industrial vacuum to clean the entire room and seal it off until the squad arrive. Before each days training each player undergoes a series of tests and completes a questionnaire around sleep the previous night, how fresh they feel etc. If the data and answers show issues the player doesn't train. They have a number of pitches specified to the dimensions of different prem league grounds and even soil types and grass mixes and train on the matching pitch to their upcoming away game. The pitch that mirrors Arsenal even is the same desso combination as the emirates pitch.

Please tell me this isn't true. 

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Seems a tad over the top for kicking a bag of wind about. 

Most aspects of football seem ridiculous when you reduce it to 'kicking a bag of wind about'.

Owlstalk is a particularly precarious tinderbox during the long hot summer months, and I'm not sure certain posters will cope with having their beliefs, culture and life choices unravelled before their very eyes.

Do you really want to start pulling at that thread right now?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rikowl said:

Has any team ever had an injury free season? Seems very unlikely.

This immediately called to mind the Villa team of Ron Saunders 1981 which pipped Ipswich to the title and the following year with Mortimer Morley Gary Shaw and the sublime Gordon Cowans won the European Cup. They used about 13 players over two seasons.

5 hours ago, Blatter said:

Really interesting stuff this.

It will be a revelation if Strudwick can get anywhere near a full season out of the likes of Forestieri, Lee, Hutchinson, Winnall, Fletcher, & even Westwood who have all been plagued by or seem to be playing on through injury.

Right now I have doubts that a differently structured pre season will make much difference to that little lot.

There is the further problem that the embargo means we are likely to sign more players late in the transfer window who have not had the benefit of the Strudwick pre season.

Noticed how he didn't turn up till Abdi had left.  Abdi would have took him apart.

• Haha 1

Words are cheap aren't they.  Remember Adam reach last year saying we were determined to get off to a flying start ? We didn't, we never do.  Everyone talks a good game, knows what's required etc etc , is confident they know the answers etc. I don't want to pour cold water on the new founded optimism and i hope the blokes results match his words. The minimum required is fitness and giving 100% for every minute in every game. What I really want to see is something I've hardly ever seen from a Wednesday team in 50 years, sheer b l o o d y minded ruthlessness. 

On 7 July 2019 at 19:15, 31Dec1966 said:

Words are cheap aren't they.  Remember Adam reach last year saying we were determined to get off to a flying start ? We didn't, we never do.  Everyone talks a good game, knows what's required etc etc , is confident they know the answers etc. I don't want to pour cold water on the new founded optimism and i hope the blokes results match his words. The minimum required is fitness and giving 100% for every minute in every game. What I really want to see is something I've hardly ever seen from a Wednesday team in 50 years, sheer b l o o d y minded ruthlessness. 

His work's been good enough for Alex Ferguson, Louis van Gaal, Roy Hodgson etc. but the Owlstak jury's still out!

:duntmatter:

On 06/07/2019 at 20:58, Junk Smuggler said:

I remember watching a documentary about the Sky cycling team under Dave Brailsford and when they go on a tour they take each riders personal mattress with them for optimum sleep. Basically this was the kind of finer detail that separated them from the rest for so long - along with many other factors. Hopefully in time we can see small improvements that can help us.

Corticosteroid triamcinolone