Van Aken

13 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Seen enough of him to see he has the potential to make a quality centre half under the right manager. 

When? He got rave reviews after his first couple of games for his passing rather than his defending, and since then his defending has been absolutely shocking and his passing largely absent. His performance at Wigan was genuinely one of the most inept I've ever seen from a CB - and I've seen Greg Fee and Tony Crane play.

If he can't get to grips with the basics of defending under two defensive managers where's your assertion that he could be "a quality CB under the right manager" come from? 

Bolton cost less than a million to put together, JVA cost four times that and I get worried whenever he plays as he is liable to put in a sloppy pass or fail to make a tackle. I still blame him for the third goal in the derby defeat last year, which in effect cost us the match and led to a downward spiraling of the season in general IMO. Absolute waste of money, to date, like so many at the club.

I maintain that I am yet to see a centre back in all my years of watching Wednesday who is so clearly deficient in his basic defensive footwork.  I am not sure he has had even the most basic coaching of what is basically the core skill of being a centre back. The debut game va forest if you find the thread, I said this stuck out like a sore thumb. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing although he could pass it.

as a player he needs major major work to get him to being where we need him to be at centre back. Maybe at a push he can sweep if we move to an old school sweeper system . 

16 hours ago, Tom22709 said:

Wouldnt mind seeing him in a DM role, he can knock the ball around really well but he’s defensively nieve. Plus this’ll allow Bannan to get further up the pitch and not coming nicking the ball off our Centre halves

If by defensively naive, you mean can't defend I agree, would try him in a deep lying mid slot, if he can't play there get rid.

There’s a player in there.  Whether that player is Championship quality - jury still out.

Ironically, the team we’re playing today, Swansea City, a club with an identity of passing, progressive football, would probably be able to get a tune out of JVA.  However at our club, he’s yet to impress - one the (far too) many forgotten men of the Chansiri era.

The kid probably hates it here and regrets the day he signed up.  Sad.

What’s he even been up to the past year? I just don’t get this club, you sign a player for your first eleven then he spends near on a year in the reserves

It seems to happen here all the time, but not at any other club. Honestly mind boggling, completely mind boggling 

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Closer to £1.7m with potential add ons making it £2m ...eventually

(Add ons id pressume he's yet to trigger seeing he's hardly played)

But let's just keep running with the £4m rhetoric.

I refused to believe that figure right from the beginning. When you look at our recruitment after the ridiculous signing of Jordan Rhodes it was clear that the realisation was setting in that we were in very big financial trouble. And as I posted earlier, we were down to our last 2 senior centre backs, and one of those was injured for a while. The club would have known weeks in advance of Sasso not wanting to stay and the release of Semedo and therefore had plenty of time to prepare for the summer. It's difficult to imagine why we were already into the next campaign before making those essential signings of van Aken and Venancio if it wasn't for lack of funds. If there really was anything like £4m available it would have been sorted out much earlier.