Van Aken

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Seen enough of him to see he has the potential to make a quality centre half under the right manager. 

Agree. He's got two obvious flaws... going off his feet in a tackle and when he's being run at... he's like a player in FIFA 99 when you haven't got your controller set up right.

There's definitely something there for the future imo.

19 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Yeah I’d agree with this. 

Was it Forest at home that was his debut? I honestly thought that day after watching him that he would be in the premier league this season with or without us.

Really?! He dived in horribly for their goal if I remember rightly.

Hope he comes good but even before that pig game he looked very dodgy defensively. Which, as a defender, is an issue.

Another one who gets dogs abuse,  like others have said I do think with the right management and coaching there’s a good player to be had in Van Aken , can’t see him finding his potential here though 

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Really?! He dived in horribly for their goal if I remember rightly.

Hope he comes good but even before that pig game he looked very dodgy defensively. Which, as a defender, is an issue.

By all accounts he’s still shown that shakiness in recent U23 games Agree, there probably is player in there somewhere

32 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I think he will come good. Was thrust into the team at the worst possible time and never recovered. 

Problem is, things aint looking rosey at mo, hope he does well, we need somat, anything to get us going.

• Thanks 1

I'm totally undecided about JVA. He's a ball playing CB (forwards not sideways) and that I like. However his defensive side can only be described as suicidal at times and he continually gets pulled out of position. Hr appears vety naive as to what is required in this league. In the netherlands you can get away with sloppy defending, not here tho. 

If I were to give him the benefit of doubt I would say a proper manager needs to get hold of him and iron out his obvious weaknesses. Then lets have another look because I believe he has potential, he's just nowhere near good enough as it stands now.

• Like 1

Dawson

Lees  Van Aken  Thorniley 

Palmer                                  Penney 

Hector   Pelupessy 

Reach

Joao     Fletcher 

Plays this we may have half a chance.

32 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Dawson

Lees  Van Aken  Thorniley 

Palmer                                  Penney 

Hector   Pelupessy 

Reach

Joao     Fletcher 

Plays this we may have half a chance.

Problem with this is that Van Aken needs to be the left sided central defender.    Lees and Hector are both vying for the central spot, and for me Hector gets it - and Lees is not quite the same unless he is the central limited defender.   

Thorniley goes up against Van Aken for the same spot for me, but ultimately Thorniley could be captain at the heart of the defence if he continues his fast progression which has been impressive.   

It's not time to try out a new position for Van Aken, but in a good side playing with confidence, i'd try him at left wing back.   Not right now though.

1 hour ago, Shifty Powers said:

Give the poor lad a break.

We were all raving over him when he signed - finally we had a ball playing centre half that we all wanted. 

His confidence has never been the same since Sheff Utd took the wee wee that dark day at Hillsborough and since then he’s been injured.

I certainly haven’t given up hope yet with him. 

He will play for the Dutch National team when we're back in the Premier.

Premier_Megson.jpg.58c8d1f7686914b0f52a9da288814240.jpg

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Good footballer...but a defensive liability. 

Would probably do well in a holding role. 

Similar to Hector. Maybe they would do well in a back five with wing backs with Lee's or Pudil covering in the centre.

Unfortunately he's not coming back into a stable defence. The changes are killing us defensively.

Maybe all of these systems will finally clock with the players, question is which ones?