Van Aken

2 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Just what we need another defender that can't defend, we are blessed.

Plenty of our defenders were more than competent under the previous coach, and Van Aken was a top rated youngster back in the Netherlands

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, scram said:

Imagine that line up in the championship on a regular basis

In fact, 2nd thoughts don't

Save yourself some nightmares...

2 hours ago, HarryPlopper said:

Problem with this is that Van Aken needs to be the left sided central defender.    Lees and Hector are both vying for the central spot, and for me Hector gets it - and Lees is not quite the same unless he is the central limited defender.   

Thorniley goes up against Van Aken for the same spot for me, but ultimately Thorniley could be captain at the heart of the defence if he continues his fast progression which has been impressive.   

It's not time to try out a new position for Van Aken, but in a good side playing with confidence, i'd try him at left wing back.   Not right now though.

With Bannan missing someone needs to partner Pelupessy in the middle of midfield so why not put Hector there and play two defensive players there which should allow Reach to move more up field and not have to worry about the tackling side of the game so much.

As for Van Aken. If Jos has him in the squad he must have a plan for him and as we already have Thorniley and Pudil for the left side then perhaps he sees him as a central player who can carry the ball out from the back and make the long passes that others can't.. he certainly is tall enough to play there so will give us extra height. but is he good enough maybe not. But I thinks it's more likely him being the centre of the three then Thorniley or Pudil. 

Only other thing I see if he plays him on the left side of the three and Thorniley replacing Penney at wingback.

But knowing Jos he has probably had him on the left wing in training all week so who knows.

Strange player whos been woeful every time hes played for us including his early games its difficult to believe we paid so much money for him.

Truth be told though we are where we are, pudil is past it and not really worth persevering with, hector is overrated for me as sadly is thorniley who despite performing admirably whenever selected is not on course to be a top end championship defender for me despite what some on here may suggest, so van aken while a ridiculous waste of money is no worse than the rest and probably deserves another chance.

Edited by trask43

4 hours ago, pickledegghiderman said:

Needs to be paid up his contract and told to f off and never come back again...

Is there a prize for the post most divorced from common sense and reality? If so, we have a clear winner.

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Not looked great, certainly not a bloody 4 million player. I can’t believe we spent 4 million on him. 

Is there any evidence we spent anywhere near that amount on him? That summer was when the first signs developed of just how bad our financial position was. With the departures of Sasso and Semedo, we were left with only 2 full time centre backs at the club to start the next season, and one of those would be injured for the first few games. In the pre-season we were forced to use Pudil and O'Grady there much of the time as I remember. And yet the lack of cover dragged on for weeks before we eventually signed van Aken and Venancio just before the deadline. If we had that kind of money available, it's difficult to imagine why it took so long to sort out when the club would have realised the need weeks before the previous season had ended.

Think he made some bad mistakes but showed great potential unfortunately he’s slammed as disgraceful, dog dirt, worst footballer etc..... poor lads never going to have a chance I’d of thought get him back from injury get him out on load to end of season and get a decent preseason under him then we can see what’s he’s about 

I’d feel for him coming into this side at minute I don’t think he’d ever recover 

4 hours ago, pickledegghiderman said:

absolute disgrace of a footballer. Needs to be paid up his contract and told to f off and never come back again along with half the current squad. Will probably play for the dutch national team after he’s rinsed us for all he can get and he gives a poo about improving his natural game

Absolute disgrace of a post, the author needs to feck off back to S2. Will probably be revered in the blunts site as he will be like a pig in muck.

13 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Think he made some bad mistakes but showed great potential unfortunately he’s slammed as disgraceful, dog dirt, worst footballer etc..... poor lads never going to have a chance I’d of thought get him back from injury get him out on load to end of season and get a decent preseason under him then we can see what’s he’s about 

I’d feel for him coming into this side at minute I don’t think he’d ever recover 

someones got to want to take him on loan and no doubt pay a sizeable salary on a player who has played 1 game in the past 12 months which might prove problematic …..

48 minutes ago, trask43 said:

Strange player whos been woeful every time hes played for us including his early games its difficult to believe we paid so much money for him.

Truth be told though we are where we are, pudil is past it and not really worth persevering with, hector is overrated for me as sadly is thorniley who despite performing admirably whenever selected is not on course to be a top end championship defender for me despite what some on here may suggest, so van aken while a ridiculous waste of money is no worse than the rest and probably deserves another chance.

I can only assume you're related to Tom Lees. How anyone can make an analysis of our defensive options and not point out that Lees has been dire all season?

Lees needs dropping. Thornily is our best prospect. Pudil is reliable in the middle now. Hector is a good player. I'd player Hector Hutch Thorniley in a back three with Pudil or Lees as back up. 

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Is there a prize for the post most divorced from common sense and reality? If so, we have a clear winner.

Is there any evidence we spent anywhere near that amount on him? That summer was when the first signs developed of just how bad our financial position was. With the departures of Sasso and Semedo, we were left with only 2 full time centre backs at the club to start the next season, and one of those would be injured for the first few games. In the pre-season we were forced to use Pudil and O'Grady there much of the time as I remember. And yet the lack of cover dragged on for weeks before we eventually signed van Aken and Venancio just before the deadline. If we had that kind of money available, it's difficult to imagine why it took so long to sort out when the club would have realised the need weeks before the previous season had ended.

Well at the time the fee was reported as being 4 million. You would guess if that was reported by serveal sources it would be something close to that. A crazy amount to spend when we where in such a poor financial state. 

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

Good footballer...but a defensive liability. 

Would probably do well in a holding role. 

Agree, looks like he could make a defensive midfielder to me. Has an eye for a pass, also a reasonably big unit and covers ground well.....But prone to mistakes, which are less costly with a defence behind him.