4 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I was at Blackburn yesterday and both right and left back are weak links.

I don’t like to slate Thorniley, Penney or Baker because they’re young lads making their way in the game (and Thorniley isn’t really a left back anyway and wasn’t getting much support in front of him).

Palmer is an experienced pro so there’s no excuse. He just isn’t good enough.

Surely Hutchinson or Boyd could do a job at full back and would be an improvement on what’s currently there 

Agree that full backs were a weak link and like you don’t think they’re entirely to blame. Thorniley is not a natural full-back as he lacks mobility and isn’t comfortable in possession. It’s hard enough for a young lad to break into the first team without making it more difficult by playing him out of position in a struggling team. 

Dont forget that although experienced Palmer is a converted central midfielder who doesn’t have the positional sense of a natural full-back

My preference would be a back 4 of Lees (started career as a right back) Hector, Thorniley and Pudl. With stay at home full-backs.

Or

Back 3 of Lees, Hector, Thorniley

Lees and Thorniley would man mark CF and / or CAM with Hector spare. Would then have Reach and Palmer ( no real option) as wide midfielders with responsibility for the opponents widest men when we’re not in possession I.e. not traditional wing-backs. If Lees or Thorniley dragged wide I’d have Hutch as CDM to slot in alongside Hector

Hunt like many at this level had his good points and his failings. 

I didn't really rate him as a quality RB

, not solid enough in the tackle, posituobally, or disciplined enough for me. 

That said though I did think used as a RWB, he had good pace and energy, could play a pass or cross not too bad and was comfortable on the ball. 

3 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Hunt like many at this level had his good points and his failings. 

I didn't really rate him as a quality RB

, not solid enough in the tackle, posituobally, or disciplined enough for me. 

That said though I did think used as a RWB, he had good pace and energy, could play a pass or cross not too bad and was comfortable on the ball. 

This ^^ When he first arrived, he was playing almost like a winger at times in Carlos’s first season, but after that, we rarely saw those bursts down the right. Think his rampaging days are over, and I note he hasn’t done much down in Bristol, so to get £1-5m for him was, in my opinion, good business. Certainly no better than Palmer and Penney

10 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

We had a perfectly capable right back that we decided to sell on the cheap 

Because we're financially knackered and he'd have been on a much bigger wage than Palmer or Baker. 

Whether people want to admit it or not.  He was one of very few players in our squad that other teams would actually want. Unfortunate but it made sense to sell. 

Persevere with Baker. Has the energy and running power to come good in that position.

Seems capable of playing twice a week without problems and doesn’t mind putting a foot in for the good of the team.

Play three at the back and stick with it. It’s the system that best suits what we have.

Lets not write off a young player by shouting not good enough too soon.