Martin O'Neill

17 hours ago, MEGMAN82 said:

an excellent man manager, passionate and players run through brick walls for him. 

How do you know this? 

I'm not having a dig at you personally, but I see stuff like this continuously banded around on here, when in truth, the poster has no idea what the guy is like and how players react to them. 

Strangely, I was listening to 5 live last night, there was a couple of ex players on, I didn't catch their names, but they were saying that time is up for old school managers such as o'neill and Keane, mainly players these days don't respond to being bawled at, they respond better to the arm round the shoulder approach. 

Buy into and relate with the managers drive - Chris Wilder.

or

Respect the manager completely and his achievements - Marcelo Bielsa.

Two categories for managers to fall into, in order to be successful. I'm Jos IN.....but I struggle to place him in either category.

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

how is he  destroying the youngsters ? …….

Read it properly before commenting?

i said he is in danger of. Do you think this is a good atmosphere to putting youngsters into. The fan base is pretty toxic at the moment and it will only get worse if he doesn’t turn this around quickly. No one seems to understand his tactics ( see Tom Lees comments and numerous posts on here). He is asking these kids to play in a way they certainly don’t appear comfortable with.

Im all for bringing kids in but it needs to be done gently, you don’t teack kids to swim by shoving them off the end of a pier.

I am really worried about what the effect on these kids may be. I also really hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

i said he is in danger of. Do you think this is a good atmosphere to putting youngsters into. The fan base is pretty toxic at the moment and it will only get worse if he doesn’t turn this around quickly. No one seems to understand his tactics ( see Tom Lees comments and numerous posts on here). He is asking these kids to play in a way they certainly don’t appear comfortable with.

Im all for bringing kids in but it needs to be done gently, you don’t teack kids to swim by shoving them off the end of a pier.

I am really worried about what the effect on these kids may be. I also really hope I’m wrong.

I don't see that young players are playing a role they arnt comfortable with , dawson plays in goal,baker is a right back ,penney plays on the left and thorniley is central defender and all have done well …...I havnt seen tom lees comment but have the numerous ones on here and just about everyone as a different view on how we should play some probably have some merit but most are in the realms of fantasy and are risible so I hold little truck with them . …..the young players that are fairly regular are all in there early 20s and if they cant hack a bad run of results at that age then it's probably right to say they arnt going to go far in the game . none of this was said when we went on the run of 1 defeat in 9 which suggests the young lads were comfortable with his tactics then .  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, owls about that said:

Yes, lost his way a little bit with the ROI job , at one time I thought he would first choice to succeed Alex Ferguson at Man Utd

true.....also anyone deciding that roy keane can help has clearly lost  it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avon barksdale said:

He was out of work and had been since September 2016. Hardly the best position to negotiate from. 

He was also reputed to be happy to retire from the game until he was offered this job.

Therefore in a good position really ................................................... if the job didn't suit what he wanted from it he could just turn it down and lose nothing.

For all the comments of he is a dinosaur and lost his way and not what we require! Can I therefore ask is a manager who doesnt know his best team or formation!? and has zero charisma or tactical nous playing some of the worst football Iv seen!! Going to be better suited than a dinosaur?

50 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

He was also reputed to be happy to retire from the game until he was offered this job.

Therefore in a good position really ................................................... if the job didn't suit what he wanted from it he could just turn it down and lose nothing.

Reputed 

On 21/11/2018 at 11:02, owlZfan84 said:

Proper football dinosaur.

Hell no.

hahahaha! whilst what we're turning out at present is 'so technically correct'

is a 9 man defence with 2 keepers next?

the only thing that may benefit the club from this ffp situation is the dawning realisation amongst the fan base that there's an enormous 'high horse' to dismount from, before we become the lords of the 3rd. division again.

On 21/11/2018 at 11:35, DELUDED OWL said:

You foresee a lot of people going to stoke don't ya.

And there's no chance,stoke would appoint him,they,in fact any club is better than O'neil.

15 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

That was in answer to room0035's assertion that O'Neil is the answer to Stokes promotion at the first attempt. 

from the top posting it seems to suggest you believe that o'neil is not fit to become the manager of ANY football club.

i assume that WE are included in that 'ANY', and thus you deem jos as a better appointment than o'neil would be?

or in fact if o'neil is better than anyone on 'the list'?

tbh whilst wanting better for us than o'neil, i do wonder with the last 2 appointments if the club is using the same 'benchmark' as i?

Just now, dnhc said:

from the top posting it seems to suggest you believe that o'neil is not fit to become the manager of ANY football club.

i assume that WE are included in that 'ANY', and thus you deem jos as a better appointment than o'neil would be?

or in fact if o'neil is better than anyone on 'the list'?

tbh whilst wanting better for us than o'neil, i do wonder with the last 2 appointments if the club is using the same 'benchmark' as i?

Now you've made what you actually meant clear, I'll answer with the bit you highlighted in bold. 

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

If the manager is having serious contractual and or disciplinary issues with some of the senior players then, he as little choice but to play the youngsters in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i haven't had to make myself clear, i have however clarified what you had written in your postings for you.

Ok, just for clarities sake (mine) i think O'Neil is past it and would dread it if he was appointed our (swfc) coach/manager, a backwards step rather than a forward thinking appointment. 

In my humble opinion of course,thats it. 

25 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Ok, just for clarities sake (mine) i think O'Neil is past it and would dread it if he was appointed our (swfc) coach/manager, a backwards step rather than a forward thinking appointment. 

In my humble opinion of course,thats it. 

i would hope we could and would get better, but i'm far from sure jos is, and carvalhal also before him.

i worry that if jos is removed what we'll manage to end up with next?

as for martin o'neil, only time will tell if he is not good enough to coach/manage 'any club' again.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

If the manager is having serious contractual and or disciplinary issues with some of the senior players then, he as little choice but to play the youngsters in my opinion.

Is he though. Or does he just not like players who have an opinion? I don’t know do you?