Scouting policy

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

They had a few youth tournaments with Inter over the last few years they grew the links from this, Inter have visited Sheffield, United gone to Milan and over the links they arrange a first team friendly for their first team to play United hence the friendly this year, United could well end up at the San Siro next season if the friendly is replicated their side.

So what?.

These clubs don't come over here for nowt, the charge a fee.

The Blunts gave been ahead of us in every department for the last 25 years, but never mind, we can always spend all our cash on the 1st team.:carlos:

1 hour ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Scouting system at the club 

U16’s & Below - only looking in Sheffield. Not expanding out anymore. 

U18-U23 - Nationally only, not looking international as much anymore 

1st team - Dc advisors work with a select few agents who refer players. 

Thanks for this. When were the changes made. I ask because Ken Ryder has been added to profiles quite recently on Sheffield Wednesday site. It says he was originally recruited as Head of Academy Recruitment and it then changed to Head of Recruitment for Professional Development phase. It says his role takes him all over country and abroad. The date he was recruited suggests he is key to the uplift in talent we have in Academy. Not heard much about him but clearly knows what he is doing.

Looking at those who don't make the cut at the really top teams can be fruitful: Pigs got Brooks after he was released from Man City, Burnley likewise with Trippier. Even back to Brunt and Whelan for us.

I hope we have a fairly comprehensive list of players we are interested in signing when those whose contracts expire in the summer leave so we can act early. Unfortunately I doubt it...

1 hour ago, HootHoot said:

I think its fair to say from some of the responses that we seem to have a good scouting set up, most notably geared towards promoting from within.

I'm glad to see we're finally starting to recognise the value in having a good academy.

Interesting side note. Was watching the derby with my Arsenal housemate. Sky were showing Maguire and Walker, and he turned to me and said "who have you produced from your academy?" 

I had no answer. I honestly couldn't think of anyone worth mentioning, just pointed to the current crop out there and said they're decent players that are just coming through 

we neglected Academy for some years but in last 5 years extremely good progress has been made and think we will see a change in near future. At the time changes were made it was said it would take 7 years to see results and think just beginning to see the change coming through.

if the scouting is anything like when they came for my lad where they sent methusala out to watch him who was adamant he had watched  my lad play before ( which he hadn't ) but still persisted to base his performance on that passed game lol 

Edited by trevdi9
  • Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

1st team - Dc advisors work with a select few agents who refer INJURED players

Fixed.

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

Already mentioned Josh Dawodu, very impressed with him, he wears the no. 3 shirt. This other lad was blonde haired wearing the no. 2 shirt. 

Dawodu is the guy who created goal for Grant in last match usually wears two. Ellery is number 3 similar to Dawodu scored header a couple of games back this is for U/18s. 

Thompson is centre half can not say what he looks like. Ben Hughes plays for U/23s as centre half he is a good player and he has light coloured hair. I saw chap mentioned guy who created goal for U/18s hence thought you meant Dawodu..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

Dawodu is the guy who created goal for Grant in last match usually wears two. Ellery is number 3 similar to Dawodu scored header a couple of games back this is for U/18s. 

Thompson is centre half can not say what he looks like. Ben Hughes plays for U/23s as centre half he is a good player and he has light coloured hair. I saw chap mentioned guy who created goal for U/18s hence thought you meant Dawodu..

I don't think they actually have a set shirt number in the U18, which is probably what's throwing me. Hoping to get a team sheet next time and put a name to em. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daztheowl said:

Already mentioned Josh Dawodu, very impressed with him, he wears the no. 3 shirt. This other lad was blonde haired wearing the no. 2 shirt. 

In Forest match Thompson played right back (2). Dawodu did not play. Think Thompson first year in Academy so must be good lad. Ellery was left back in that game.

Thompson has forced his way into the side as centre half so must be doing well. Think it was Reaney and Rice as centre halves at start of season. Do not get to see much of centre halves in this team :-) 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

I don't think they actually have a set shirt number in the U18, which is probably what's throwing me. Hoping to get a team sheet next time and put a name to em. 

If you look at match reports on Wednesday site they list players in order 1 to 11. When see goal scorers number or mentioned in report check this against names and always works. 

Midfield changes the most as Waldock, Shaw and Grant have been in U/23s. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

Delighted you went to watch them.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Quist said:

In Forest match Thompson played right back (2). Dawodu did not play. Think Thompson first year in Academy so must be good lad. Ellery was left back in that game.

Thompson has forced his way into the side as centre half so must be doing well. Think it was Reaney and Rice as centre halves at start of season. Do not get to see much of centre halves in this team :-) 

Thanks for clearing that up Quist, so it was Thompson. He read that game really well, negated most of the attacks from Forest down that side. Excellent defence from all the lads. Another one to watch. Hopefully I'll get down to the next one against the Blunts. 

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

Thanks for clearing that up Quist, so it was Thompson. He read that game really well, negated most of the attacks from Forest down that side. Excellent defence from all the lads. Another one to watch. Hopefully I'll get down to the next one against the Blunts. 

Thompson is a red headed fella. At the start of the season he got his chances mostly off the bench and was used as central midfielder (scored nice goal as well).

Since then he started (as Quist said) at right back, and seemingly made CB position alongside Rice his own.

There is a interesting and heart warming story regarding him that I linked on here few weeks ago:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/out-and-about/owls-fan-scored-with-hillsborough-tour-1-310135

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Quist said:

Thanks for this. When were the changes made. I ask because Ken Ryder has been added to profiles quite recently on Sheffield Wednesday site. It says he was originally recruited as Head of Academy Recruitment and it then changed to Head of Recruitment for Professional Development phase. It says his role takes him all over country and abroad. The date he was recruited suggests he is key to the uplift in talent we have in Academy. Not heard much about him but clearly knows what he is doing.

Ryder not as active now. 

Gregg Batten has been working with the club for a number of years. He’s from up north ( Sunderland Area ) and he’s been doing more of the u18 / u23 side. 

In all honesty Ryder is bee old school and out of touch now I think. 

If a players has been at X, Y & Z academy then Wednesday will take a look on a week trial or so. You’ll never ever find someone like Ryder or Batten watching a local game at u15 let’s say. Even for a final opinion. Their thoughts are ‘ if you haven’t been picked up by u12, your not going to make it’.

shame really

8 hours ago, HootHoot said:

Anyone know what our policy is in regard to scouting players? Or how many scouts we have for that matter?

I was thinking about thia rebuild we are doing. Instead of looking up, surely we should be looking down the leagues and even into non-league. There will definitely be a young hidden gem there that we can get for peanuts and develop him into a real key player for us, instead of signing older players from the prem.

I'm looking towards championship versions of Alli and Vardy etc. 

What do you guys think? 

What we have a scouting system, why has no thought to use it.

52 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Ryder not as active now. 

Gregg Batten has been working with the club for a number of years. He’s from up north ( Sunderland Area ) and he’s been doing more of the u18 / u23 side. 

In all honesty Ryder is bee old school and out of touch now I think. 

If a players has been at X, Y & Z academy then Wednesday will take a look on a week trial or so. You’ll never ever find someone like Ryder or Batten watching a local game at u15 let’s say. Even for a final opinion. Their thoughts are ‘ if you haven’t been picked up by u12, your not going to make it’.

shame really

Interesting comments as quality of kids in Academy is certainly better than it was and they are starting to deliver. 

I suppose the question is how fruitful is watching a local U/15s game. If you can find better by doing other approach perhaps that is why has been changes.

Its a bit odd posting a guy is head of recruitment if no longer doing job.