Scouting policy

Anyone know what our policy is in regard to scouting players? Or how many scouts we have for that matter?

I was thinking about thia rebuild we are doing. Instead of looking up, surely we should be looking down the leagues and even into non-league. There will definitely be a young hidden gem there that we can get for peanuts and develop him into a real key player for us, instead of signing older players from the prem.

I'm looking towards championship versions of Alli and Vardy etc. 

What do you guys think? 

Good question. It was all done by Doyen when CC was at club. They had contract with us. I believe this was cancelled whilst CC was at club (DC said no longer had contracts with Doyen). however its unclear what replaced it. I suspect bad publicity about Doyen resulted in changes. There has clearly been a change of policy with JL saying needed younger players in squad. 

We have a scouting system for Academy which looks to be working. 

With mass exodus in summer and not much money to replace them it will be essential we have network available to make use of what money we do have available.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well you’d have to say, looking at the latest batch, it looks to be spot on The U18s are flying, and credible players are emerging from the U23s

I've just seen their Brum highlights. That RB for the third goal is ridiculously fast! 

20 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

If we are looking at rebuilding over a few seasons well  yes we have to but if it’s just a case of getting back on track with ffp then going again maybe we can look at getting proven quality 

I feel we won't be able to buy proven quality. It'll cost too much and I feel scouting younger potential is our way forward

12 minutes ago, Quist said:

Good question. It was all done by Doyen when CC was at club. They had contract with us. I believe this was cancelled whilst CC was at club (DC said no longer had contracts with Doyen). however its unclear what replaced it. I suspect bad publicity about Doyen resulted in changes. There has clearly been a change of policy with JL saying needed younger players in squad. 

We have a scouting system for Academy which looks to be working. 

With mass exodus in summer and not much money to replace them it will be essential we have network available to make use of what money we do have available.

DC's right hand man Paxo is extremely tied in with Doyen , a quick Google search shows this. I suspect nothing has changed apart from us not " officially " using Doyen. Check out Paxo's sports management company , and check out the directors , then look at the directors of Doyen companies.

Academy seem to have stepped up a notch, with some really good prospects. Must be down to some good scouting. Eyad Hammoud, Josh Dawodu, Jordan O'Brien, Charles Hagan, Preslav Borukov to name but a few, even down to Josh Render in goal, only conceded 9 in 13 I think. Also down to excellent defence.

Was impressed with a young lad at RB against Forest, didn't have a team sheet though, so his name escapes me, think it was Declan Eratt - Thompson. All looking good at the moment, so I would say yes, definitely down to better scouting. 

2 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

I've just seen their Brum highlights. That RB for the third goal is ridiculously fast! 

Yep, when I’ve seen footage of him, he’s always played well. Looks as if he’s ready to play regularly for the U23s He did play for them against Leeds, when Hooper played, and he did well then Think Ben Hughes is the current U23 right back

We used to have feeder clubs in Ireland and Australia, Adam Poric was one of the scout there for us. The likes of Geary and Quinn came across from Ireland and I believe we also have links with some of the American teams as we had one of the lads over a few years ago.

Since DC has taken over the recruitment seems to be from within, with a few lads from Premiership teams who don't make the grade Thorniley and Neilson being perfect example picked up from Everton and forest academy.

But our big issues seem to be scout for the first team, we completely over look League 1 and 2 and the conference and there are some gems to be had but because a lot of these players are under 30 we don't watch them.

Compare our set up with those at S2, with their links through the youth they were able to set up friendlies this season with Inter Milan - they are light years ahead of us with the set up of the club, if it was not for McCabe no investment policy and the Poundland prince they would be not in the same league.

13 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Scouting system at the club 

U16’s & Below - only looking in Sheffield. Not expanding out anymore. 

U18-U23 - Nationally only, not looking international as much anymore 

1st team - Dc advisors work with a select few agents who refer players. 

I think it’s good that we are putting more emphasis on looking in Sheffield. It’s hardly a backwater is it, but it’s not an area that we’ve had a great deal of joy in When you think about the success other major city clubs have had in recruiting from inner city areas, we just seem miles behind A smaller provincial city, like Norwich for instance, trawl East London, quite successfully, for young talent. We must have that sort of talent in our own back yard

I think its fair to say from some of the responses that we seem to have a good scouting set up, most notably geared towards promoting from within.

I'm glad to see we're finally starting to recognise the value in having a good academy.

Interesting side note. Was watching the derby with my Arsenal housemate. Sky were showing Maguire and Walker, and he turned to me and said "who have you produced from your academy?" 

I had no answer. I honestly couldn't think of anyone worth mentioning, just pointed to the current crop out there and said they're decent players that are just coming through 

Just now, gurujuan said:

I think it’s good that we are putting more emphasis on looking in Sheffield. It’s hardly a backwater is it, but it’s not an area that we’ve had a great deal of joy in When you think about the success other major city clubs have had in recruiting from inner city areas, we just seem miles behind A smaller provincial city, like Norwich for instance, trawl East London, quite successfully, for young talent. We must have that sort of talent in our own back yard

The like of Norwich and Southampton are distorted though as they have very good catchment areas for players within an hour of Norwich you have maybe Ipswich within an hour of Sheffield you have Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool - you will always lose players to the bigger teams.

I disagree with the success of Sheffield - Walker, Naughton, Sharpe, Maguire and these are just some of the local Sheffield lads currently playing. 

I agree Sheffield should be the key area but they are not looking anywhere like 

Lincoln 

Nottingham 

leeds

worksop

retford

gainsbourough 

mansfield 

We have found players in these areas and they are still within our academy. 

We we are just giving other clubs the pick in these areas 

15 minutes ago, Woozie said:

@room0035 Youth links got United the Inter Milan friendly? Can you expand on this?

They had a few youth tournaments with Inter over the last few years they grew the links from this, Inter have visited Sheffield, United gone to Milan and over the links they arrange a first team friendly for their first team to play United hence the friendly this year, United could well end up at the San Siro next season if the friendly is replicated their side.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

I think its fair to say from some of the responses that we seem to have a good scouting set up, most notably geared towards promoting from within.

I'm glad to see we're finally starting to recognise the value in having a good academy.

Interesting side note. Was watching the derby with my Arsenal housemate. Sky were showing Maguire and Walker, and he turned to me and said "who have you produced from your academy?" 

I had no answer. I honestly couldn't think of anyone worth mentioning, just pointed to the current crop out there and said they're decent players that are just coming through 

Could've said vardy :ph34r:

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

Academy seem to have stepped up a notch, with some really good prospects. Must be down to some good scouting. Eyad Hammoud, Josh Dawodu, Jordan O'Brien, Charles Hagan, Preslav Borukov to name but a few, even down to Josh Render in goal, only conceded 9 in 13 I think. Also down to excellent defence.

Was impressed with a young lad at RB against Forest, didn't have a team sheet though, so his name escapes me, think it was Declan Eratt - Thompson. All looking good at the moment, so I would say yes, definitely down to better scouting. 

Josh Dawodu