Scouting policy

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

a lot don't seem to like that idea …...

I suppose that’s understandable, throughout the two top divisions, there are very few teams who feature more than a couple of players who have come through the system In terms of delivering that level of player, it’s not really productive

1 hour ago, Quist said:

Interesting comments as quality of kids in Academy is certainly better than it was and they are starting to deliver. 

I suppose the question is how fruitful is watching a local U/15s game. If you can find better by doing other approach perhaps that is why has been changes.

Its a bit odd posting a guy is head of recruitment if no longer doing job.

What age groups would you say are now better? 

12 hours ago, room0035 said:

The like of Norwich and Southampton are distorted though as they have very good catchment areas for players within an hour of Norwich you have maybe Ipswich within an hour of Sheffield you have Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool - you will always lose players to the bigger teams.

The London clubs come into the catchment area of both Norwich and Southampton - but both those clubs among others) are allowed to have satellite centres around the country due to a lot of their catchment areas being in the ocean

They both had centres in London - Saints still do but i think Norwich might have wound theirs down now

Saints have long had the most productive academy in the country - so they're doing something right

• Thanks 1

Scouting/Homework is where Chris Wilder is excelling.

Making every penny count.

Making playing for SUFC mean something, to the likes of Leon Clarke, David McGoldrick etc...

Gaining excellent knowledge of League One etc..compiling lists of who's good enough to make the step up.

It's personal for Wilder, knowing it's now or never. His chance to achieve something great for that lot.

Credit where it's due. No like or hate about it for me but what he's achieving is very admirable.

You can't get anywhere near this chopping and changing managers regular.

1 hour ago, scram said:

The London clubs come into the catchment area of both Norwich and Southampton - but both those clubs among others) are allowed to have satellite centres around the country due to a lot of their catchment areas being in the ocean

They both had centres in London - Saints still do but i think Norwich might have wound theirs down now

Saints have long had the most productive academy in the country - so they're doing something right

I was on the London to Norwich train the other morning, and there was a group of about 20 kids from Hackney way, all wearing Norwich tracksuits. From their conversations, it seemed to be a regular commute 

12 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Ryder not as active now. 

Gregg Batten has been working with the club for a number of years. He’s from up north ( Sunderland Area ) and he’s been doing more of the u18 / u23 side. 

In all honesty Ryder is bee old school and out of touch now I think. 

If a players has been at X, Y & Z academy then Wednesday will take a look on a week trial or so. You’ll never ever find someone like Ryder or Batten watching a local game at u15 let’s say. Even for a final opinion. Their thoughts are ‘ if you haven’t been picked up by u12, your not going to make it’.

shame really

That's a bit daft really has kids between 12 and 15 develope massively both physically and mentally. 

57 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

That's a bit daft really has kids between 12 and 15 develope massively both physically and mentally. 

Couldn’t agree more. 

Up up to u12 the club do everything in there power to sign players. After then not as much as they feel they have the right players who they have coached. 

Then at u16-u23 they look again for players who get released from clubs. Example of a few who are at the club 

baker

thorniley

jack lee

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We could learn a lot from the likes of Peterborough and Brentford  where scouting is concerned. 

barry fry for all his antics is a very astute bloke when it comes to spotting talent . ……...not sure if Brentford still work to that stats system when it comes to signing players but they do unearth some talent . ……

29 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

Up up to u12 the club do everything in there power to sign players. After then not as much as they feel they have the right players who they have coached. 

Then at u16-u23 they look again for players who get released from clubs. Example of a few who are at the club 

baker

thorniley

jack lee

I was making this pint a few weeks ago the youth we have given a chance to in the first team this season only Dawson is a Sheffield lad,

Baker from Bridgend via Cardiff, Thorniley from Warrington via Everton, Neilson from Denmark via Forest, Kirkby from Barnsley, Preston from Scotland (only in academy 4 years), Jack Lee from Sunderland, Matt Penney Chesterfield, Jack Stobbs Leeds.

You could look at it two ways we are not getting the better Sheffield talent that is going to either local rivals or elsewhere or we are looking around to other youth teams and bringing in talent that can be developed into the first team squad.

What we need to start doing better as a team though is players who are not ready need loaning out, or players who just are not quite good enough we need to be selling on to make the academy self sufficient and possible an income source in the future. Currently under DC we allow players to stay past when they should then run their contracts down and leave on free.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I was making this pint a few weeks ago the youth we have given a chance to in the first team this season only Dawson is a Sheffield lad,

Baker from Bridgend via Cardiff, Thorniley from Warrington via Everton, Neilson from Denmark via Forest, Kirkby from Barnsley, Preston from Scotland (only in academy 4 years), Jack Lee from Sunderland, Matt Penney Chesterfield, Jack Stobbs Leeds.

You could look at it two ways we are not getting the better Sheffield talent that is going to either local rivals or elsewhere or we are looking around to other youth teams and bringing in talent that can be developed into the first team squad.

What we need to start doing better as a team though is players who are not ready need loaning out, or players who just are not quite good enough we need to be selling on to make the academy self sufficient and possible an income source in the future. Currently under DC we allow players to stay past when they should then run their contracts down and leave on free.

I believe Hunt is a Sheffield lad, but yes point taken

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I believe Hunt is a Sheffield lad, but yes point taken

All I could see for him was born in England but i think there is a few more but only really included players in and around the first team, Rice and Shaw have been on the bench once but i think it was more for the experience rather than actually having a chance of playing.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

All I could see for him was born in England but i think there is a few more but only really included players in and around the first team, Rice and Shaw have been on the bench once but i think it was more for the experience rather than actually having a chance of playing.

Of course there’s Wildsmith as well, think Rice might be a Gainsborough lad

13 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

What age groups would you say are now better? 

The U/18 bunch I think are superior to what we had before. Think has been a steady rise in quality for last few years

I have also seen reports various teams have done well in youth tournaments.

I have no agenda and just want club to do well. You clearly see faults with clubs approach I am not in a position to say you are right or wrong just a bit of a shock for someone to indicate approach had shortcomings.

1 minute ago, Slogboy said:

All too often swfc release lads they've coached to bring in youth lads from likes if Everton Man City etc. We don't really look after our own do we

I don't think the ethos of the club is right, to develop our youngsters

I think the senior pro's are playing for bonuses and will be protective of their squad positions. 

Would you run through a brick wall to support a kid, while your mate is 3k down on the bench?

The kids are expected to run through brick walls to support the senior pro's - It's a mess, Sean Clare was probably right to chip.

4 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

All too often swfc release lads they've coached to bring in youth lads from likes of Everton Man City etc. We don't really look after our own do we. The u23s a few yrs ago was a good crop and that included Penney, Clare, Thorniley, Kirby, Preston

Talking about team that won their division, and the league ?

Looking back now, it was very strong side with some real talent in it:

Dawson

Baker

O'Grady (c)

Thorniley

Penney

Murphy

Kirby

Stobbs

Clare

Preston

Hirst

Btw. Not sure if my memory is tricking me so perhaps I add couple of players from "season after" to starting 11 that won the league.