Another strange incident regarding charity at SWFC

3 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

Doesn’t stop them trying to get good PR when it features in the star though... I take your point but they should be able to cope.

I hear you - and I can feel your frustration at your personal experience

Not sure there are enough staff in the office to even deal with the volume of requests on a daily basis though - I could be wrong on this but gut feeling is resources to handle it

Owlstalk Shop

Transplant update... (VERY LONG POST ALERT)

Today marks 4 months to the date that I got the call & had my Small Bowel & Abdominal Wall transplant. To say I'm grateful is an understatement, I am & always will be eternally grateful to The Donor & their family for their selfless & generous act of kindness, in their time of sadness & grief. It allowed me to continue to live. I've said it before & I'll remind u again, if I didn't get that all important call, at the specific time I did, i had approximately 1-2 weeks left to live & didn't even know it! I WOULD NOT BE ALIVE TODAY! It was a monumental marathon 14 hour operation in total, with a team of surgeons, nurses & theatre staff who made sure they looked after me from start to finish.

Things have gone fairly smoothly with regards to the Bowel part of the transplant, aside from a small bout of mild rejection which was caught early & easily treated. I've just had to have regular scopes (camera down my stoma) to monitor the bowel, which is the standard way of monitoring. I'm eating & drinking normally & my bowel is both tolerating & working well, I still have some intravenous feed as well atm because I am being weaned off of it gradually to maximize the chances of coming off it & staying off it permanently.
The Abdominal Wall on the other hand has been rather different, 2 days post op it lost blood supply & blood supply & to be reinstated with another 6 hour operation. Unfortunately some of the graft didn't take & some of it died off & my abdomen kept coming open, so some of it had to be removed, then it came to how to get it to heal properly, I was taken back to theatre for a vacuum sponge & pump fitted, the intention was to heal it from the inside out, although it did work we had no end of difficulties with it as it's suppose to be kept under vacuum pressure & sealed, due to the shape & lumps & bumps on my abdomen the seal wouldn't stay & it kept on getting air leaks, we tried to put up with this for about 2 months in all, during which time I had numerous trips to & from Oxford for it monitoring, & numerous trips to theatre to clean & scrape the tissue underneath.
Then 3 weeks ago I was back in theatre to have a skin graft taken from my leg & placed in the wound to close the wound & hope the graft took, fortunately most of it did straight away, some of it didn't & the wound had to be dressed with special dressings to help it both heal & dry out, but it is growing into the wound now & is nearly completely healed.

I was back in Oxford this week, Tuesday I had another scope down stoma, a few ulcers were found but after recieving the histology results from the biopsies taken confirming no signs of rejection.. they're not too concerned about that atm,
I had a follow up appointment with the stoma nurse because I've had some over-granulation (scar tissue) which became open & sore, after 2 weeks treatment with various creams & appliances it's nearly healed & is no longer sore.
I had my gastrostomy tube (catheter directly placed into my stomach) swapped for a smaller button type 1.

Since the transplant I have also managed to reduce the amount of TPN (intravenous feed) needed & have gone from 5 nights per week to just 2.. with the intention to come off of it completely hopefully before Xmas. So as I no longer have the need for the double lumen Hickman line central line) I needed for transplant & recovery, as I have my other 1 still in place (Portacath) to use from here on in, my Hickman was also removed yesterday as well.
This transplant journey so far has been 1 hell of a life changing experience, learning curve, it pushed me to places I didn't know existed, both physically & mentally, despite this I've never ever even considered backing down or giving in, THATS NOT ME!
Now I'd like to thank a few people... To my Donor & their family, who without them I wouldn't have had the chance to stay alive! Thank you! X to Georgios Vrakas, Dr Reddy, Vas, Roisin, Henk, & all the amazing team of drs & nurses at the Churchill Hospital who fought so hard to help me & did their absolute best to look after me.. I am truly grateful to each & every one of u! XX much love XX
Then my Amazing wife Lisa Moate, who has stood by me through this & supported me every step of the way despite her own struggles, as most of u kno how hard she has it in life with her own problems, Lisa Moate I LOVE U! MORE THAN ANYTHING! XXX THANK YOU XXX
Her dad Brian & her Mum Ann, who also dropped everything to help us both, Brian came with me & Lisa to the hospital & stayed the full duration with Lisa to help her be able to be with me, whilst her mum & brother helped us out at home whilst we were in Oxford.
Then I want to thank my big sister Jemma Jones who travelled round the world from Melbourne Australia, to be with us both & help & support us despite having to leave behind her six kids to be able to do that for us, Jemma, ur a legend, & love u & I'll always do the same for u should u ever need it XXX
Next my dad Geoffrey & my Brother Elliott who also travelled from Australia to be with us, it was nice to see u & thank you for all uhave done for us X we'll hopefully get to see u again soon X
Then there's the rest of my family, who's supported us, we may not see each other as often as we could, but I know u all care & the love & support means a lot so thank you X
Then there's my very special group of close friends, some I've known all my life, some I've met along the transplant journey, those that visited, those that helped, & were there for us both, I'm not naming names cos that's not really fair, but those of u that helped, u know who u are! So thank you XX
Then there's the hundreds & hundreds of kind people who've sent messages of support & willed me on throughout this journey, again some of u I've not known long, others I've known my entire life! Your kind words, support & love truly means alot to us X So Thank You XX

This journey is far from over, it's still very early days but 4 months is a massive achievement & I just wanted to both update u all & say thanks XX

Much love & respect Rick XX
#organdonation #shareyourwishes #transplant #donate #warrior #gastrowarrior

sorry folks about how long the post is but it's all I could find to let you know  how things are progressing

Edited by trevdi9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Never posted this before a couple of years ago my long time friend big wednesdayite had throat cancer his family contacted the club to see if they could anything special on matchday for him.

The club were absolutely brilliant they rigged the half time draw so he got on the pitch and took 5 penalties in front of the kop. The next game him and some of his family were guests of the club and his two grandsons mascots for the day all for nothing giving him a great day before he sadly passed away. 

I and few more will never forget what sheffield wednesday fc did for our friend 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I once asked for 30 North stand tickets for my local pub, so we could auction them off and buy a Christmas Tree and all the trimmings, any left over money

we were going to put behind the bar for regulars to have a free drink.

THEY SAID NO.

OUTRAGEOUS.

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I once asked for 30 North stand tickets for my local pub, so we could auction them off and buy a Christmas Tree and all the trimmings, any left over money

we were going to put behind the bar for regulars to have a free drink.

THEY SAID NO.

OUTRAGEOUS.

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not......

• Like 1

Just now, Pod9 said:

Take it that’s a yes pal 

Just thought that a lot of people berating the Club, for uncharitable actions, when in fact have done a lot of work for Recognised Charities in and around Sheffield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

One thing I do know as an absolute fact is that the club are deluged on an almost hourly basis with requests for signed shirts etc for basically anything and everything, not all of charity or worthy causes etc although much of it is

But the sheer scale of the requests is crackers

I hear that and it's fair comment however how come the other lot manage it ?

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

It's a culture thing. 

The charities refused to change their name to his and have it emblazoned on their offices.

"D-Charities" has a nice ring to it. And the best part is, it doesn't actually need to do anything. 

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Just had a quick chat with someone who worked at the club and left a couple of years ago - it was her responsibility to co-ordinate these requests and also to take shirts and footballs to the training ground on a Thu for signing.

On average they received 20-30 requests a week, never more. The club would assess the requests and donate either a shirt or ball - and a letter entitling the holder to 2 match tickets (not Category A) to the others

This was changed recently (after she had left the club) to just match tickets. It now seems thats changed too now

13 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

So it's a fact they don’t refuse any charity 

It's a common story  that you hear  - i had a lot to do with charities some years ago that lot always seemed to do their bit 

I dont know details now but it doesn't sound great 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

One thing I do know as an absolute fact is that the club are deluged on an almost hourly basis with requests for signed shirts etc for basically anything and everything, not all of charity or worthy causes etc although much of it is

But the sheer scale of the requests is crackers

I can beileve this.

Dont think anyone is lying on this thread just think amount of requests mean being pratical they have to turn a lot down.