Dark Arts Department

Think it was the ex England physio talking on Talksport last week. Interesting stuff, and he noted that most players have it written in their contract these days forbidding clubs from talking about player injuries and/or contracts in the media. 

We send our players abroad for recoop, recoupra, recrew, sod it, to get better.

Hooper has had spells in Barcelona, Milan, the South of France, St Andrews, Portugal, Florida, Royal Lytham St. Annes, Tenerife, and is currently distraught over needing more treatment at Bondai Beech in December.

You’ve got to feel for the poor lad, he’s keeping his fingers crossed he can be back for the Rotherham away game in Feb.

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

Gary Hooper has had a groin injury for 12 months even on an NHS waiting list this would have been sorted in 3 months. Either the club don't have a clue about player fitness and getting injured players rehabilitated or the smoke and mirrors going on.

We have players not playing who are fit on silly wages sat in the stands watching the game, we have other players who may be injured but the manager does not know, we have other players that are always due back in two weeks then we have yet more players who are injured but with strange injuries like a groin injury 4-6 weeks weeks for an average injury if its worse they have an operation what we seem to do is monitor them for 6-8 weeks then decide they need an operation, they then come back and get reinjured with the same problem.

All the time there is no communication what so ever what is going on, so what happens is people make up their own version or post any theories they can find.

Plain and simple the club need to start being straight with the fans, if Westwood is not allowed to play because of bonuses, salary then tells us but this crap about him being the worse keeper at the club is becoming embarrassing. 

How many people getting sorted on the NHS waiting list then have to go and play professional football? Ridiculous comment. The most the nhs give you is an exercise sheet 

Guest LittleG
16 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

It's not an issue that lies within one area. There'll be few issues within the club that are contributing to this ridiculous injury situation. 

Players picking up injuries I can accept. Van Aken damaging his ankle in a tackle, you cannot prevent. Forestieri damaging his ACL, you cannot prevent. Bannan tearing his groin, you cannot prevent totally.

But what you absolutely CAN prevent, is players continuously breaking down when returning from injuries. That is the main reason football clubs have spent millions of pounds in the Sport Scientist and Medical departments. Football club own expensive, valuable assets...it makes absolute sense to spend extra money to ensure those assets are been utilised as regularly as possible. 

The fact that Kieran Lee, Gary Hooper, Fernando Forestieri, Sam Hutchinson, Sam Winnall and Almen Abdi have all broken down (some more than once) after returning from injury needs accounting for. I sincerely hope Chansiri is demanding answers from deep within the club...because at the end of the day, it's his assets that are been wasted. 

Is our Medical department inadequate? Carlos certainly seemed to think it was. (And by the way, can we now stop with the "Carlos caused all the injuries" narrative, because it was clearly untrue) But things haven't changed despite wholesale changes within that department. 

Therefore, are we spending enough money in that department? We've now had two teams that have failed to improve the injury situation. Does our budget for that department allow us to make improvement? Are we just replacing like for like (qualification, experience-wise)?

Are the players the issue? It's clear our recruitment was geared towards experienced pros...the older the player, the more likely you are to get injuries. But other clubs have had "old" squads and not suffered like we have. It simply can't be an age thing. There has to be more to it...

Have we just signed a load of duds? Well, you could perhaps place Sam Hutchinson and perhaps Gary Hooper in that bracket. Hutchinson is renowned for his injury problems, and let's be honest, if he wasn't, he wouldn't have signed for Sheffield Wednesday. Gary Hooper struggled for fitness throughout his time at Norwich...in hindsight, was that a transfer with an element of risk which ultimately has proved very expensive? But the others? Kieran Lee played 45 and 53 games respectively for Oldham in the two seasons prior to signing for Wednesday...He wasn't an injury prone player. Almen Abdi played 33 and 38 games for Watford in the two seasons before joining us...he wasn't injury prone either. Forestieri and Winnall also weren't injury prone players. So has our recruitment been to blame THAT much for these injuries?

Carlos was blamed for flogging certain players and running them on empty. Well Luhukay has arrived, rotated his squad constantly, and still the injuries continue. So that wasn't to blame either...

Lastly...and perhaps most pertinent...the training ground. It's well known, that the training complex to inferior to our status...and more importantly, where we want to go. And I've had it mentioned to me, that's it's a real issue...surface wise. Now, it gets relaid every single season...but is that enough? In these times where training and matches are so intense...could this be having more of an impact than we realise? Almost every Premier League training ground has Desso type pitches. If we are ambitious like Chansiri wants us to be, AND he wants to rectify his perpetual injury crisis, maybe that's where his money should be going (instead for paying millions, and millions of pounds on players who are simply not contributing). After all, it's not accounted for within the FFP limits. 

The answer lies within these factors...how much each factor is contributing is the key solution. But one thing it is not, after 18 months of the problems, is bad luck. We aren't unfortunate to suffer these injuries. It's a systemic failure within the club. And it needs routing out, and correcting. Otherwise, this club will continue to p1ss in the wind in their quest to become a Premier League club.

Couldn't you have said that in fewer words? I'm sure it's an excellent lost but the only books I read these days or thrillers.

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Why would the players have any objection to their "private" medical details being made public? It's not as though they have a STD that they wouldn't want made public.....have they?

Are there any other clubs that 

1. Have as many injuries as us

And

2. Keep said injuries a secret from the fans who pay their wages.

As an indication of another clubs non injury situation, havnt Wolves started with the same 11 players for the last 9 or 10 games?

Something is wrong with our training methods or our medical staff just arnt good enough or both.

It would be good if the club were a bit more informative to the supporters.

TBF if I was a professional footballer I wouldn't want my medical details made public. Not a good selling point when you're after a move to another club.

As @vulva said "Think it was the ex England physio talking on Talksport last week. Interesting stuff, and he noted that most players have it written in their contract these days forbidding clubs from talking about player injuries and/or contracts in the media." 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Mycroft wrote the following:

I'm sure players would be happy to have their private medical details plastered all over for everyone to pour over. 

All I am suggesting is that we get the bare minimum information that is common with other professional clubs.

Unfortunately we do not even get the bare minmum of information.

You've been given the bare minimum of information..... They are injured.

The minimum doesn't get much barer than that.lol

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Totally agree, this injury situation is beyond a joke.

We're supposed to be promotion or bust this season, according to our chairman, can't spend any money to improve, and the decent players we currently have left are constantly unavailable for selection!

These are supposed to be young(ish) professional athletes, earning ridiculous amounts of money and they can't stay fit during a season in this day and age?

What kind of fitness set-up do we have at S6?

There is obviously something very wrong with it. 

You'd think that, following the unusually high amount of injuries last season, this would be top priority, since we aren't allowed to spend money.

Plus all the disappearing players - Abdi,Westwood,Boyd, Jones, Van Aken etc etc...........

:Chansiri: What the F is going on?????

Need to go back to the good old days when Hirsty, shezza, Pearson and the rest of the pist heads would drag everyone out on the ale, smoke a few bines and apart from Hirsty almost every one else was hardly ever injured and used to play 30/40 games a season plus cups. 

Maybe all this tempremental highly strung professional athletes thing just Dosent work at S6 

9 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Why would the players have any objection to their "private" medical details being made public? It's not as though they have a STD that they wouldn't want made public.....have they?

Are there any other clubs that 

1. Have as many injuries as us

And

2. Keep said injuries a secret from the fans who pay their wages.

As an indication of another clubs non injury situation, havnt Wolves started with the same 11 players for the last 9 or 10 games?

Something is wrong with our training methods or our medical staff just arnt good enough or both.

It would be good if the club were a bit more informative to the supporters.

I just don't see how you are any better off for knowing it's not going to improve the injury situation. We are just going through a very bad period of injuries just one of those things.  What are you going to do with the information once you have it?  If there/is was a common denominator to all the injuries, I'm sure the club would put into place procedures to stop it from reoccurring.  

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

What is the problem with the club releasing a statement giving information about a players injury. Presumably this Is what happened with Abdi. No information was released by Watford about his total disability to walk. He then secured a transfer to us which Abdi and Watford have benefited. 

If genuine information is not released then false/made up stuff will appear from journo's and numerous other sources 

Think you're mixing the 2 issues up. Watford owe us nothing. Our job is the medical. Re releasing a statement would you want your GP writing to the Star about your ailments. Same principle. 

You're presuming these players are actually injured of course.

Of all the long term injuries as far as I'm aware, Winnall is the only one who has public with his recovery, and he's the only one playing. Maybe I'm reading too much into that. 

Just now, A12owl said:

What is the problem with the club releasing a statement giving information about a players injury. Presumably this Is what happened with Abdi. No information was released by Watford about his total disability to walk. He then secured a transfer to us which Abdi and Watford have benefited. 

If genuine information is not released then false/made up stuff will appear from journo's and numerous other sources 

I'm not meaning clubs releasing details of injuries when it's relevant eg. what the injury is, but some on here seem to think we have a right to know every little detail of what treatment they are having, details how they are/are not responding etc.

I think that information such as ('player has an ACL injury not expected to resume training for xx weeks' or 'player has suffered a setback on resuming training and is being treated for this') is all that is required.

Just my opinion obviously.

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Agree we cannot do anything about it. It is what it is.......but .......transparancy in every day life is the best way of being imo.

As regards going through a bad period of injuries.. ..how long has it been going and how much longer is it going to last and why has it gone on for so long and why have we had so many injuries. Most seem to occur in training not in match play.  

Where do you draw the line with transparency?  Do you want a breakdown of their daily diet, how much alcohol they drink each day? How often they visit the loo?  

Sounds like you want transparency for transparency sake.     

Just now, A12owl said:

That's not what I said or expect. Just some information about the injury and how long its likely to be before its cleared up.

I will say again ...my main concern is the amount of injuries we have and the set backs they have. Somebody is not good enough at  their job . Coaches , physio or the tea lady . Who is it ?

How long is a piece of string?   As I said the club will have put in procedures to stop it from happening if they have found a link.  But I would think reasons are many and varied and we just have to be patient. Yet again. Trust me I feel your pain.