Chris Kirkland speaking about time at Wednesday & mental health issues

10 minutes ago, Dinsdale07 said:

It’s amazing how many of us suffer with depression to a greater or lesser extent. What I have discovered is that depression is no respecter of wealth, status, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion. Talking helped me after years of bottling it up, my wife gently encouraged me to take the first step and I’m eternally grateful to her. I always felt I was alone with my feelings but, of course, many are affected by visits from the Black Dog as Churchill called it. Perhaps we ought to have an Owlstalk just talk page for those of us that need to open up to someone. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. Just keep talking.

Yes it was my wife who eventually made me realise something was up. I'm very grateful for her intervention. That and a sympathetic GP. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CraigSGM said:

Even though it's getting better, there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental health. The sooner we can move away from that, the better things will get. 

One of the biggest problems is a lack of understanding. Unfortunately, due to a lifetime of it being something that wasn't spoken about, so many people just don't appreciate what it's like to deal with a mental illness. So many people think that depression and anxiety is simply sadness and worry, and therefore an easy fix. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the response on this thread so far. I really expected to read dismissive comments about how people with such a good life can feel like that. 

I totally agree with this, especially regarding the lack of understanding.  I fully expect to get negged for saying this but it's genuinely not aimed at anyone who is suffering but your point regarding exactly what depression is works both ways.  For example, those people who the moment things aren't quite going their way in life, immediately thinking that they're depressed.  It's probably a harsh thing to say as I don't suffer but someone I know does and he tells me it's a whole different level to feeling pissed off about a situation at work or feeling down because you've got to stay in at the end of the Month as you're skint when all your mates are out on town. 

Then again, I suppose there are different levels and you never 100% know what else someone has going on in their heads - so perhaps I'm the one who doesn't appreciate what it's like to deal with these kind of issues and how they effect everyone differently.

• Like 1

Everyone is different JJ.

Some would say if only it was a situation at work or feeling isolated for a short time.

Others may say those are very top of a dark downward spiral.

A few will say try to imagine those feelings about isolation and stresses and associated emotions for ever...

For many, the trigger can be  the most unremarkable event that could turn into a potential catastrophe if a particular sequence of imagined events occur.

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

I understand depression as I have suffered it for years too..but there are children around the world who die from all sorts of poverty related issues, in fact the distribution of wealth in the world is an absolute travesty, and while I do feel for people from the west suffering with depression, if your sitting back and doing nothing about poverty in the world, like EVERYONE is and has been doing for thousands of years... well.. maybe doing more is the answer    

1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

And i wouldn't class giving a small bit of money to charity every month as doing anything to change things 

So money can buy happiness. Does it work the more I give I happier I am?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Junglejay said:

I totally agree with this, especially regarding the lack of understanding.  I fully expect to get negged for saying this but it's genuinely not aimed at anyone who is suffering but your point regarding exactly what depression is works both ways.  For example, those people who the moment things aren't quite going their way in life, immediately thinking that they're depressed.  It's probably a harsh thing to say as I don't suffer but someone I know does and he tells me it's a whole different level to feeling pissed off about a situation at work or feeling down because you've got to stay in at the end of the Month as you're skint when all your mates are out on town. 

Then again, I suppose there are different levels and you never 100% know what else someone has going on in their heads - so perhaps I'm the one who doesn't appreciate what it's like to deal with these kind of issues and how they effect everyone differently.

There are definitely different levels and each and every individual deals with it in their own way some deal with it better than others . 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Indeed, very difficult to think of anything else outside your immediate bubble when in the shadow of an episode...

Ive done bungee jumps and even logged onto Owlstalk after a defeat but I will never experience anything like when I decided to jump off that harbour wall to kill myself.  I know its often said suicide is a cowards way out and in a way it is but it takes a hell of a lot to get to that point to go ahead with it, to know that in a few seconds you are no more.

I don't think I could ever explain it in a way it could be understood really. The strange thing is I didnt want to be in that bubble. I wanted someone to pop it and the fact no one did I took as a sign.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, darklord said:

Ive done bungee jumps and even logged onto Owlstalk after a defeat but I will never experience anything like when I decided to jump off that harbour wall to kill myself.  I know its often said suicide is a cowards way out and in a way it is but it takes a hell of a lot to get to that point to go ahead with it, to know that in a few seconds you are no more.

I don't think I could ever explain it in a way it could be understood really. The strange thing is I didnt want to be in that bubble. I wanted someone to pop it and the fact no one did I took as a sign.

Mate I 100% understand what you are saying , To reach that level where you decide to end it all and to live to tell your experience is a massive achievement and full credit to you and also for being so open and honest . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Mate I 100% understand what you are saying , To reach that level where you decide to end it all and to live to tell your experience is a massive achievement and full credit to you and also for being so open and honest . 

I just want anyone that might be suffering to know, no matter how bad things get. No matter how far down that blackhole you go there is always a way back. I hit rock bottom, the absolute rock bottom you can hit. It took a lucky intervention of strangers and many years of be struggling and scrabbling to climb back up but I am there. My life is far from perfect but I have a wife and 3 kids and I find happiness in life where I can.

If my f**ked up self can make it then theres hope for anyone.

And if anyone ever needs an ear to bend then please feel to contact me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darklord said:

If only I had the foresight to think of a kid in Somalia while I was stood on top of that harbour wall

I feel sorry for you but...  just think it’s abit selfish to take what I said and try turn it around to somthing YOU did or a time in YOUR life. 

Whatever happened to you I am sure you would have my sympathy’s but to try and belittle my point by using that situation isn’t really doing yourself any credit is it. 

35 minutes ago, darklord said:

I just want anyone that might be suffering to know, no matter how bad things get. No matter how far down that blackhole you go there is always a way back. I hit rock bottom, the absolute rock bottom you can hit. It took a lucky intervention of strangers and many years of be struggling and scrabbling to climb back up but I am there. My life is far from perfect but I have a wife and 3 kids and I find happiness in life where I can.

If my f**ked up self can make it then theres hope for anyone.

And if anyone ever needs an ear to bend then please feel to contact me.

You are a star mate 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

I feel sorry for you but...  just think it’s abit selfish to take what I said and try turn it around to somthing YOU did or a time in YOUR life. 

Whatever happened to you I am sure you would have my sympathy’s but to try and belittle my point by using that situation isn’t really doing yourself any credit is it. 

Why are you even saying this ? The lad is opening up and talking about his darkness and how he’s got through it , why even try and connect the two I’m not sure what you mean ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

It’s a start , better than nothing , I donate and have for years , like to think my bit does help . 

your bit dose jack poo mate... there's people making watches worth £10000000 when there are people having to watch their children die.. the world needs radical reforms not people giving abit to charity and voting one way or the other every few years for basically the same political parties supporting unregulated capitalism

4 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

your bit dose jack poo mate... there's people making watches worth £10000000 when there are people having to watch their children die.. the world needs radical reforms not people giving abit to charity and voting one way or the other every few years for basically the same political parties supporting unregulated capitalism

Yes I get what you are saying but what has it got to do with mental health and depression ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Why are you even saying this ? The lad is opening up and talking about his darkness and how he’s got through it , why even try and connect the two I’m not sure what you mean ? 

because people need to wake up and realize whats important and whats happening in the world, honestly..I dont know why I decided to say what I said on here of all places.. 

It was the Chris Kirkland documentary not the guys on here... people are caught up in their own worlds... I think if they looking into issues like poverty it would help them not dwell on many of the aspects that are causing their depression in the first place

Edited by keepitsteel89

7 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

It was the Chris Kirkland documentary not the guys on here... people are caught up in their own worlds... I think if they looking into issues like poverty it would help them not dwell on many of the aspects that are causing their depression in the first place

Actually it has the opposite affect you really are oblivious to it and a bit  ignorant if you believe it works that way . I’m afraid we cannot make all the wrongs in this world right and to get involved makes me really sad .

• Like 1

Football is a pressured job and one that takes a great deal of self belief in a cut throat environment. It’s not surprising that feelings of self doubt could trigger something more serious. Whether that be anxiety or worse. 

It seems many people can be susceptible to it and I generally think people are under pressure in life every which way these days. There are people who struggle to make ends meet, then there are others who might have a decent job but then you’ve got to deliver and continue to do so! Most people don’t get rich without graft and risks. 

I know it’s not as simple as that and there are other reasons why it happens too. But it seems a lot more prevalent now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Honestly fella I know you mean well but that opinion is simply not right, medically or otherwise. It’s really important that people who don’t suffer mental health problems are involved in the conversation so it’s great that you’re here, but the best thing those ‘on the outside’, as it were, can do is listen. Any opinion is doomed to be ill-informed if you’re not directly affected and could end up coming across not at all how you mean it.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1