Chris Kirkland speaking about time at Wednesday & mental health issues

many thought he was a crock physically.

Just goes to show that mental illness can be just as, if not more debilitating/crippling than a physical injury.

Well done on those who have spoken about this and the day to day difficulties of the various forms it takes.

Very very difficult to come to terms with where in most 'professional' circles, mental illness [or a history of] can lead to accusations of incompetency despite brilliance and where folk have to work twice as hard to overcome or simply cope with 'run of the mill' situations.

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Like 2

Even though it's getting better, there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental health. The sooner we can move away from that, the better things will get. 

One of the biggest problems is a lack of understanding. Unfortunately, due to a lifetime of it being something that wasn't spoken about, so many people just don't appreciate what it's like to deal with a mental illness. So many people think that depression and anxiety is simply sadness and worry, and therefore an easy fix. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the response on this thread so far. I really expected to read dismissive comments about how people with such a good life can feel like that. 

• Like 3

It’s good that more people or sharing their problems with mental health these days. Not long back people thought you were a weirdo if you had mental health problems

Ive said in previous threads that I have GAD ( generalized anxiety disorder) which basically means that I’m a constant worrier. I’ll never completely shake it off but some things do help like better diet, exercise etc

Edited by Stoop
  • Like 3

Sort of a catch 22 this whole raising awareness for mental health 

Now yes of course it’s fantastic that people are speaking out and seeking help when they perhaps wouldn’t in the past, however I really do believe all the publicity is bringing out more cases of mental illnesses and believing people to think they may have it when they actually don’t. I’d love to see suicide rates today compared to 20 years ago 

As we all know this is so different to any other illnesses as it’s psychological,  I just feel there could be an  alternative way to treating people 

like I said it’s so catch 22, and I’m probably making no sense whatsoever but 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I just wonder if that bottom wipe from L##ds made matters worse for Chris Kirkland 

To be fair, he was probably more concerned that the whole episode would delay him getting back home to his family with all the media furore and circus surrounding the incident..

• Like 1

I understand depression as I have suffered it for years too..but there are children around the world who die from all sorts of poverty related issues, in fact the distribution of wealth in the world is an absolute travesty, and while I do feel for people from the west suffering with depression, if your sitting back and doing nothing about poverty in the world, like EVERYONE is and has been doing for thousands of years... well.. maybe doing more is the answer    

30 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

I understand depression as I have suffered it for years too..but there are children around the world who die from all sorts of poverty related issues, in fact the distribution of wealth in the world is an absolute travesty, and while I do feel for people from the west suffering with depression, if your sitting back and doing nothing about poverty in the world, like EVERYONE is and has been doing for thousands of years... well.. maybe doing more is the answer    

If only I had the foresight to think of a kid in Somalia while I was stood on top of that harbour wall

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darklord said:

It took me around 10 years to get anywhere. After I tried to drown myself at 15 I didnt even see any pysch. When I did my wrists at 19 in the middle of a nightclub and needed surgery the GP told my then girlfriend it was just attention seeking and not to worry. I was in hospital for a week and so no psyche. In fact despite probably 5 or 6 attempts over the years it wasnt until I had a nervous breakdown and my wife took me to the doctors I finally got some help. This GP was great. Lots of years of struggles and counselling followed (I even tried to drill my own head and had to be stopped by neighbours). Ill be on medication for life and some things will always be hard but I overcame the worst and I now know how to read my own signs of trouble.

I wear the scars (literally) of my disease but I dont hide them. I'm not crazy (most days), I'm just a normal bloke with an afflication and I am certainly not alone. It took my Grandad from my mother when she was 15, I'm sure as hell going to do my best to make sure my kids don't suffer the same fate and if I can help just one other person improve their own life then I will shout my troubles from the rooftops.

Top post mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, darklord said:

If only I had the foresight to think of a kid in Somalia while I was stood on top of that harbour wall

Indeed, very difficult to think of anything else outside your immediate bubble when in the shadow of an episode...

• Like 1

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) helped me when I was suffering with depression and anxiety last year. I had nothing like the problems that some have expressed on here (well done and thank you to all). Just wanted to share that it helped me at the time and gave me some tools which so far have kept me on track. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s amazing how many of us suffer with depression to a greater or lesser extent. What I have discovered is that depression is no respecter of wealth, status, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion. Talking helped me after years of bottling it up, my wife gently encouraged me to take the first step and I’m eternally grateful to her. I always felt I was alone with my feelings but, of course, many are affected by visits from the Black Dog as Churchill called it. Perhaps we ought to have an Owlstalk just talk page for those of us that need to open up to someone. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. Just keep talking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dinsdale07 said:

It’s amazing how many of us suffer with depression to a greater or lesser extent. What I have discovered is that depression is no respecter of wealth, status, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion. Talking helped me after years of bottling it up, my wife gently encouraged me to take the first step and I’m eternally grateful to her. I always felt I was alone with my feelings but, of course, many are affected by visits from the Black Dog as Churchill called it. Perhaps we ought to have an Owlstalk just talk page for those of us that need to open up to someone. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. Just keep talking.

Great idea - maybe this one could be used

Owlstalk Shop