Chris Kirkland speaking about time at Wednesday & mental health issues

33 minutes ago, darklord said:

as a lifelong sufferer ( i first attempted suicide at 15, with several attempts over the years) I know how hard it can be. Its still a struggle but now 41 I have learnt how to manage things.

People need to be able to talk about it as its such a lonely disease. If it was some other afflication like Cancer or Diabetes then we would openly share it but mental health has such a stigma.

Keep strong people and well done Chris

That’s really brave of you to mention your problems , I’m not sure depression and mental illness are taken seriously but it should be , my younger brother took his own life through depression so I understand the affects it has . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing.

Ronald Reng's book A life too short about the German goalkeeper Robert Enke is something that has stayed with me for a long while. Simple and dignified, and gives real insights into mental illness and life as a footballer. 

I do feel that the stigma attached to mental illness, while still there, is eroding at quite a significant rate. Not everything in the world has to get worse.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely worth reading the articles I linked here as well re depression in football:

So easy to say the stereotypes like "dream job", "I'd do it for £10 a week when they're earning millions" etc. etc. but money, fame, riches, they don't heal a broken mind. Compassion, support, professional help, understanding, patience are what's needed. There but for the grace of god etc. etc. I applaud anyone brave enough to speak about what they're going through and I send silent hugs to everyone struggling today.

• Like 2

I have to say, it brought an absolute lump to my throat hearing Chris and his wife discuss how he was feeling and how it affected him. His performances for us were terrific I thought at the time, just goes to show you never what is happening in a players personal life.

Well done to LFC (I never say that normally), a very important and poignant film.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Definitely worth reading the articles I linked here as well re depression in football:

So easy to say the stereotypes like "dream job", "I'd do it for £10 a week when they're earning millions" etc. etc. but money, fame, riches, they don't heal a broken mind. Compassion, support, professional help, understanding, patience are what's needed. There but for the grace of god etc. etc. I applaud anyone brave enough to speak about what they're going through and I send silent hugs to everyone struggling today.

I think Fame and in particular football brings its own pressures. Having to perform week in week out and usually in front of huge numbers of people who are baying for your blood. the worry of a short career or injury etc. Yes there are a lot of perks to the job but theres a downside too

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Thanks for sharing.

Ronald Reng's book A life too short about the German goalkeeper Robert Enke is something that has stayed with me for a long while. Simple and dignified, and gives real insights into mental illness and life as a footballer. 

I do feel that the stigma attached to mental illness, while still there, is eroding at quite a significant rate. Not everything in the world has to get worse.  

Heartbreaking book.

1 hour ago, stabbo said:

Sorry if that sounded preachy. I just think this documentary is a fantastic thing and helps people. UTO!

Not preachy at all mate. Very courageous of you to speak out. It's taking time but, as someone else has said, attitudes are slowly changing for the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darklord said:

as a lifelong sufferer ( i first attempted suicide at 15, with several attempts over the years) I know how hard it can be. Its still a struggle but now 41 I have learnt how to manage things.

People need to be able to talk about it as its such a lonely disease. If it was some other afflication like Cancer or Diabetes then we would openly share it but mental health has such a stigma.

Keep strong people and well done Chris

I suffer from anxiety and depression and find it very hard to talk about. I feel embarrassed even though I shouldn't. I have been backwards and forwards to the docs for 7 years now and I still haven't got anywhere. 

It starts feeling like no-one believes you because they can't see it.

It's great to see players talking about their struggles as hopefully it will make people talk about it more

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Footballers can really help to reduce the stigma of mental health by openly talking about it. 

Not easy to do so big credit to them.

Alot of people suffer in silence and then take a drastic option like suicide instead of seeking help. Reducing the stigma can help prevent this. 

My job is to help people with depression and anxiety so I know therapy works, worth considering before medication (which can be effective but difficult to get off). 

• Like 4

very brave and very moving, the dad who'd lost his lad was particularly difficult watch. Credit to McAteer for fronting the programme too.

Look after those people you love folks, depression has no boundries to class, creed or colour.

x

• Like 2

We had a very similar thread a while back.

Lots of us also suffered, to anyone who is fighting this disease I echo others words, speak to someone about it (I know from experience how difficult that is, but it must be done) 

If you go to the docs and they don't help, keep going back and ask to see a different doctor, there are also self help courses available which can help.

Don't think you are abnormal, many, many people suffer with mental health issues you just need the correct help, be that tablets, discussion, both anything else that helps.

Please remember though help is out there and I can't stress enough speak to somebody about it. Take care and Up the Owls.

• Like 3

One thing that helped me; Magnesium Citrate. It's worth reserching if anyone is feeling the walls closing in. Apparently a lot of people are low in Magnesium.

I am really glad to see people being so open about mental health on OT.

Thank you to those that have shared and I'd like to say, my DM is always open for anyone who would like someone to talk to. 

UTO

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, darklord said:

It took me around 10 years to get anywhere. After I tried to drown myself at 15 I didnt even see any pysch. When I did my wrists at 19 in the middle of a nightclub and needed surgery the GP told my then girlfriend it was just attention seeking and not to worry. I was in hospital for a week and so no psyche. In fact despite probably 5 or 6 attempts over the years it wasnt until I had a nervous breakdown and my wife took me to the doctors I finally got some help. This GP was great. Lots of years of struggles and counselling followed (I even tried to drill my own head and had to be stopped by neighbours). Ill be on medication for life and some things will always be hard but I overcame the worst and I now know how to read my own signs of trouble.

I wear the scars (literally) of my disease but I dont hide them. I'm not crazy (most days), I'm just a normal bloke with an afflication and I am certainly not alone. It took my Grandad from my mother when she was 15, I'm sure as hell going to do my best to make sure my kids don't suffer the same fate and if I can help just one other person improve their own life then I will shout my troubles from the rooftops.

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ponte_Owl85 said:

I suffer from anxiety and depression and find it very hard to talk about. I feel embarrassed even though I shouldn't. I have been backwards and forwards to the docs for 7 years now and I still haven't got anywhere. 

It starts feeling like no-one believes you because they can't see it.

It's great to see players talking about their struggles as hopefully it will make people talk about it more

I totally understand what you feel , to isolate yourself and feel no one is listening , believes or cares is all part of the illness , it’s a constant battle to remain positive but I applaud anyone who comes through it and can feel a true sense of happiness . Bit deep but it’s true . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

For my own part, and I have seen this reflected in sportsmen, to be so down when you have 'so much' brings on a feeling of guilt. I have an amazing life, the sort of stuff working class boys from Sheffield would probably marvel at, all really gained from my working class father from Sheffield's graft and talent as it goes. So the guilt is part of it."If they had half what I had etc, I'm letting my family down etc".

• Like 2