Chris Kirkland speaking about time at Wednesday & mental health issues

18 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

It was the Chris Kirkland documentary not the guys on here... people are caught up in their own worlds... I think if they looking into issues like poverty it would help them not dwell on many of the aspects that are causing their depression in the first place

Wow, where did they find you then? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Junglejay said:

Serious respect to you for being open about this.

I'll be honest and admit that in the past, I'd always had the thought that it was a cowards way out but this all changed when my Wife's step brother killed himself a few years back.  He'd had some issues in the past, but on the face of it, he appeared to be getting on well, a super intelligent young man in his 20's.  My Mother in Law met him for lunch the day before he died all appeared normal, he was certainly on the up from his lowest point a few years prior.

Living 4 hours away, we didn't see him that often, but the range of emotions we went through when we found out the news ranged from utter shock, disbelief, guilt and anger.  Seeing the fall out and what it did to his Dad, Mum and Brother was really hard to take and this was where the anger started to come in, purely just thinking about the damage caused that still runs deep within the Family Today.  At the Funeral I said to my Wife that if only he could have seen the number of people who turned up to pay their respects, perhaps he'd have realised he was worth more than he ever thought - stupid thing to say I know. 

The anger didn't last very long and I soon started to realise just what he must have been going through thinking this was his only option and that he was doing everyone a favour.  I can't even begin to imagine the chain of thought but i's quite clear that someone who is willing to do this has a serious illness, so the last thing they're ever thinking about is the impact it has on the rest of the world once they're gone.

Excellent post JJ , that’s what depression does though , makes you actually think you are doing everyone a favour by ending your life , makes you feel worthless and  unloved , There’s absolutely nothing that you can like , it makes you feel you can’t face anything even day to day normal things . Why does it do that ? , it is a very powerful illness and should never ever be undermined . 

• Like 2

Excellent thread everyone. It’s ok to not be ok. 

I can understand why people think the “count your blessings” approach should work with people suffering depression... however it makes it worse as it highlights the shocking state of the world.

Best thing to do is talk and if you don’t have anyone to talk to, post on here, in the dressing room or wherever. Loads of people are willing to listen. 

• Like 2

Yeah I felt really bad for Chris and what he went through when he was with us, to the point where his suffering caused him to lose focus and make some mistakes. I hope he knows we Wednesday fans have nothing but praise for him and highly rate him for his time with us.

It just shows how far we have come and how far we still need to go in understanding and addressing mental health issues.

Like other scourges of modern life such as racism and sexism, the education process is still underway and it is a welcome openness in discussing such matters that we all learn and react accordingly.

My story also includes the intervention of a terrific GP and cognitive therapy. I needed a quick resolution and was lucky that I got this. Even now, I have to sometimes manage the situation but, as time goes on, the episodes are lesser and fewer and the hardest bit to me was admitting that there is a problem in the first place. I was so intrigued over the treatment, I went on to get a qualification in another field of psychology, although I am not up to the standard required to become a clinician.

So, for the lucky people who have never had to experience mental health issues, please understand that these are very real illnesses and please also understand that there is rarely a response to the statement "Snap out of it" or rarely an a answer to the question "What is it that is making you depressed?"

I struggle day in and day out, often cry, want to run away.. but have stopped hurting myself and know being with the right people stops me doing silly things...

Its nice to see a person brave enough to put them out there when social media can be cruel

Good luck Chris and everyone who needs that help

Back in he 70’s I had a mate who was a draftsman working on Rolls Royce aero engines, he was diagnosed with depression and was incarcerated in Middlewood Hostpital. He attempted suicide by throwing himself out of a top floor hospital window, he failed, and although badly injured in his attempt managed to get out and tried to get a Sheffield bus to do the job, however the driver stopped the bus in time, a lorry managed to do the job a few weeks later.

I ended up working with his sister circa 35 years later, neither of us had been aware of the others existence, she was over the moon that there was someone other than her who remembered him, his name was Terry Fletcher and came from Woodbourne Road, Attercliffe.

RIP pal