Happy Birthday Swany - 82 years young!

41 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think the rugby tackle came in an FA Cup 3rd round rearranged game against Swansea. We won 2-1. Jan 9th 1962. So Jan 5th must have been snow, frost or Fog. Swan was tracking back towards Leppings Lane end; Running backwards as he often did, as the Swansea player dropped a shoulder and checked to the right Swann stumbled a little turned the stumble into a dive and rugby tackled the Swansea player perfectly.

That more or less fits with my memory of it. I was on the Lepp and I had a clear view cos it was in front of us

2 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

I can't believe that people are praising a player, who along with 2 others, brought great  shame on Wednesday.

You can't just laugh off a betting scandal. It was match fixing, simple as.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal

OK, I believe that Alf Ramsey had an inkling that something was going on, Swan being dropped in 62,  Kay only gaining a single cap when he was one of the best midfielders in the game, and Layne, who’s scoring rate was second to none never getting a sniff. I knew David Layne back in the 70’s, he told me that if the actual scale of the betting scandal came out that there would be have been more players in jail than playing in the leagues.

What is clear is that prison and a lifetime ban was completely OTT, IMHO they paid for the others, and were used as scapegoats, I’m not moralising, but it was only a stupid action, they didn’t permanently harm anyone.

• Thanks 2

Swanny was man of the match in the game in question (match fixing v. Ipswich). His greatest battles were against Derek Dougan of Wolves and his best action was orchestrating the Owls fans on the Kop at Bumhole Lane. Best centre half Wednesday ever had.... "Who's the one?" 

"Peter Swan" 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

No, Alf Ramsey had dropped him in 1962. His actual competition came from Bobby Moore who was a great holding centre half,   JC liked to cross the half way line. Nevertheless Peter Swan is an Owls legend and was treat very badly, IMHO a six months ban and a hefty fine would have been adequate.

Happy birthday. 

Alf Ramsey became England Manager in 1963....

Incidentally the manager of Ipswich Town on the 1st December 1962 where the "match fix occurred "

None other than .............

32266.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

I can't believe that people are praising a player, who along with 2 others, brought great  shame on Wednesday.

You can't just laugh off a betting scandal. It was match fixing, simple as.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal

I think your right mate …..they let the fans and there team mates down with there greed and that isn't acceptable no matter how good they had been previously .

8 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Someone just said he would have kept Big Jack out of the 1966 World Cup team - would you agree?

swan had been out the England team in the 2 years prior to his ban so it's a bit fanciful to think he'd have played in the world cup in 66...…..I think layne would have got a chance of playing for England so he could possibly have made the squad  ….imo kay was the one who had the best chance because he was a better player than nobby stiles and his star was in the ascendancy playing for the successful everton team …….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Alf Ramsey became England Manager in 1963....

Incidentally the manager of Ipswich Town on the 1st December 1962 where the "match fix occurred "

None other than .............

32266.jpg

Yes you are correct, but his appointment was confirmed in October 1962, when his input into team selection had begun, prior to this a committee had control of team selection. 

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

Yes you are correct, but his appointment was confirmed in October 1962, when his input into team selection had begun, prior to this a committee had control of team selection. 

The plot thickens ......

He was the incumbent England Manager.

And also the Ipswich Town Manager on the day of the fixed odds betting Scandal match ....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 1

I read his autobiography hoping for a hint of an apology but was disappointed not to find one.  Cant take away what a great centre half he was  though. I remember him winding the crowd up at Forest every year after he had roughed up  Len Julians , shorts got hitched up higher and the  grin got wider.  So sad how it all turned out  so unnecessary and it probably did cost him at least a squad place in 66.

4 minutes ago, Shoots but cant hit said:

I read his autobiography hoping for a hint of an apology but was disappointed not to find one.  Cant take away what a great centre half he was  though. I remember him winding the crowd up at Forest every year after he had roughed up  Len Julians , shorts got hitched up higher and the  grin got wider.  So sad how it all turned out  so unnecessary and it probably did cost him at least a squad place in 66.

This.....