Happy Birthday Swany - 82 years young!

3 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Best centre half I’ve seen in the blue and white.

Totally commanding in the air, good on the ball and knew how to mix it

Someone just said he would have kept Big Jack out of the 1966 World Cup team - would you agree?

Just now, dunsbyowl said:

Someone just said he would have kept Big Jack out of the 1966 World Cup team - would you agree?

Can’t say mate, certainly a more cultured footballer than Jack and better than Maurice Norman or Brian Labone but then I’m biased.

Kay, Swan and McAnearney. That was the regular half back line when I started going. I go all misty eyed thinking about it.

Anyone remember Swanny rugby tackling somebody who’d slipped past him? Yeah, I know that seems to make a lie of me calling him a more cultured footballer but they were different times.

He didn’t let any player take the wee out of him and they knew they’d been in a game.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Can’t say mate, certainly a more cultured footballer than Jack and better than Maurice Norman or Brian Labone but then I’m biased.

Kay, Swan and McAnearney. That was the regular half back line when I started going. I go all misty eyed thinking about it.

Anyone remember Swanny rugby tackling somebody who’d slipped past him? Yeah, I know that seems to make a lie of me calling him a more cultured footballer but they were different times.

He didn’t let any player take the wee out of him and they knew they’d been in a game.

Remember that clearly. It was in the Fairs Cup and we were against a German club...Might have been Kaiserslautern, and they had given us a football lesson that night. A player who had given him the run around all night got past for the umpteenth time so he just performed a flying rugby tackle as he went past. Everyone in the ground just laughed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

Remember that clearly. It was in the Fairs Cup and we were against a German club...Might have been Kaiserslautern, and they had given us a football lesson that night. A player who had given him the run around all night got past for the umpteenth time so he just performed a flying rugby tackle as he went past. Everyone in the ground just laughed.

Couldn’t remember the match but if it was Fairs Cup and a German side it was FC Cologne in 63 who beat us away and at home. 

It wasn’t often Swanny got the run around in my memory but I remember the incident so well and the whole ground going into hysterics when it happened. 

57 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

No, Alf Ramsey had dropped him in 1962. His actual competition came from Bobby Moore who was a great holding centre half,   JC liked to cross the half way line. Nevertheless Peter Swan is an Owls legend and was treat very badly, IMHO a six months ban and a hefty fine would have been adequate.

Happy birthday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibbo48 said:

One of my best memories is a Derby match against....them.

Derek Pace mistimed a header that went straight upwards. Just as he went to head it again Swanny’s boot took it clean off his head plus a bit of skin and hair, leaving poor old Doc yelling in pain. Hilarious. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blatter said:

One of my best memories is a Derby match against....them.

Derek Pace mistimed a header that went straight upwards. Just as he went to head it again Swanny’s boot took it clean off his head plus a bit of skin and hair, leaving poor old Doc yelling in pain. Hilarious. 

Yep. He had some right battles with Doc Pace. For some reason my memories are of United having the upper hand in Derby matches in those days. Is that why I find it so painful playing them to this day?  Childhood trauma :sad:

1 hour ago, Jeff King's dog said:

I can't believe that people are praising a player, who along with 2 others, brought great  shame on Wednesday.

You can't just laugh off a betting scandal. It was match fixing, simple as.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal

He paid for it and some and I don't believe they tried to fix the match either, they were guilty of naivety and stupidity and took the can for a lot more who were at it 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

I think the rugby tackle came in an FA Cup 3rd round rearranged game against Swansea. We won 2-1. Jan 9th 1962. So Jan 5th must have been snow, frost or Fog. Swan was tracking back towards Leppings Lane end; Running backwards as he often did, as the Swansea player dropped a shoulder and checked to the right Swann stumbled a little turned the stumble into a dive and rugby tackled the Swansea player perfectly.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think the rugby tackle came in an FA Cup 3rd round rearranged game against Swansea. We won 2-1. Jan 9th 1962. So Jan 5th must have been snow, frost or Fog.

Nope...definitely Fairs Cup.

1962 is just before my time so I couldn't have seen it then...unless he did more than one.

2 hours ago, Jeff King's dog said:

I can't believe that people are praising a player, who along with 2 others, brought great  shame on Wednesday.

You can't just laugh off a betting scandal. It was match fixing, simple as.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_British_betting_scandal

Contraversially or not, I have to agree.

Some years ago I was given a copy of his autobiography, in which he blames everyone else, no apologies.

Sorry but not a legend for me.

46 minutes ago, owler66 said:

He paid for it and some and I don't believe they tried to fix the match either, they were guilty of naivety and stupidity and took the can for a lot more who were at it 

I agree totally with this but I’m not entering into an argument that’s divided fans since the 60s

My opinions in this thread are about Swanny as a footballer and I stand by everything I’ve said about him.

Are you not going to appreciate Ronaldo as a footballer if this rape thing sticks ?

Is Messi a less talented player cos he’s been supposedly fiddling his tax for years ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I agree totally with this but I’m not entering into an argument that’s divided fans since the 60s

My opinions in this thread are about Swanny as a footballer and I stand by everything I’ve said about him.

Are you not going to appreciate Ronaldo as a footballer if this rape thing sticks ?

Is Messi a less talented player cos he’s been supposedly fiddling his tax for years ?

I don't think there's any argument about his footballing skills. just the fact about being called an SWFC legend. after what happened.